First 1000 Hand-Built

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55
First 1000 Hand-Built

Was told by dealer today that as of this morning, my car's Chasis, etc. has been finished. Never knew MB supplied this detailed information about the car, but it's good to know .

He also told me that the first 1000 SLK55 AMG's are being completely hand-built compared to the models going down the assembly line.

Hope this is news to few!
Old 09-22-2004, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport
Originally Posted by dinko
Was told by dealer today that as of this morning, my car's Chasis, etc. has been finished. Never knew MB supplied this detailed information about the car, but it's good to know .

He also told me that the first 1000 SLK55 AMG's are being completely hand-built compared to the models going down the assembly line.

Hope this is news to few!
awesome, although being "hand-built" doesnt necessarily mean its better quality, I mean humans are putting them together after all...although its definitely cool to have your whole car being hand built, if that's a fact that the dealer told you....
Old 09-23-2004, 02:36 AM

audi mb bmw
Nope, I want robots to build my SLK55... robots are cool... or Ninjas because they're cool too... not sure if Ninjas know how to build cars though.

In all seriousness.... Dinko, are you saying that these 1000 hand-built SLK55's are a completely different batch of cars from those mentioned by MarcusBenz as being the "first" allocated cars in the US? According to MarcusBenz's search on the NetStar system, the first batch of allocated SLK55's in the US are scheduled for production in the second decade of November and are therefore not being built yet. If the chassis on your car is complete, and you're expecting a US-spec car, then there must be some sort of special batch that aren't showing up on the NetStar system? Could this special batch be the 1000 hand-built cars your dealer is mentioning? And since the US gets approximately 40% of AMG car allocations, that would make about 400 handbuilt SLK55's. I'm curious, what does your NetStar report show as far as build status, etc? This interests me greatly and renews any hope that I might get my SLK55 in a timely manner after all? I'm #1 at my dealer for one and was recently disappointed by the news that the first US allocations for November build (according to a NetStar search by MarcusBenz) does not include my car. I know it's wishful thinking but now I'm hoping that my car is one of the few hand-built versions... and it would be ok with me even if it wasn't built by a Ninja.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:13 PM

2005 MB SLK 55 AMG
Wink hm

I don't think Mercedes has hand-built a car since the McLaren's (and even the SLR and Maybach aren't 'entirely' hand-built). I haven't heard of this, and I'm not saying it ain't true :-) - but this seems very unlikely. Where does your dealer have that information from ?
According to what I know (for German spec as well as US spec cars), all SLKs, without exception, are done in the Bremen plant (where the SL is made as well). Now, the AMG models' engines are in fact hand-made (you know, by one guy who then signs your engine !) in Affalterbach, not far from Sindelfingen; these blocks are shipped to Bremen. Same for the SL55 and SL65 (which aren't handmade either, other than the engines). I don't think it would be efficient, nay, possible for them to switch to an entirely hand-made model - why would they do that ? It would cost a lot more, take a lot more time, and I don't see what it would accomplish, or rather what would neccessitate doing that.

I also don't know how the dealer could know that the 'chassis' is done. The Production date in netstar is somewhat ambigous. It marks the 'spec sheet' appearing at the Bremem plant, with bar codes (options, colour etc.) that determines the 'route' the car takes in assembly. Your chassis probably IS done, and quite possibly the engine too - production means that they are all 'married' to each other (first on paper then in the factory).

Anyway, maybe there's some big conspiracy I don't know about, but the dealer does :-) Just seems odd. No matter, it looks like your car is inching closer and that's good news regardless if built by (German) Ninjas or Robots

Last edited by dosers; 09-23-2004 at 01:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-23-2004, 01:17 PM

2005 MB SLK 55 AMG
Smile

Dinko,
what dates are you being given in terms of production and ETA for delivery ?
D
Old 09-23-2004, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
Haven't been given a date. If I don't get a call by next week, I'll give the dealer a call.

Guys, again, I'm just posting what I hear. Maybe the dealer was smoking something and trying to make me feel special because I purchased a car yesterday.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:07 PM

2005 MB SLK 55 AMG
Dinko,
no worries :-) I am not doubting that's what your dealer told you. And again, maybe it's all true - but I think he was smoking, frankly - and rudely didn't share with us ;-)
He should be able to give you a build decade if your car's been given an allocation and assigned. Let us know, am curious :-)

d
Old 09-23-2004, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
Originally Posted by dosers
Dinko,
no worries :-) I am not doubting that's what your dealer told you. And again, maybe it's all true - but I think he was smoking, frankly - and rudely didn't share with us ;-)
He should be able to give you a build decade if your car's been given an allocation and assigned. Let us know, am curious :-)

d
I'm sure you are curious, and believe me I'm even more curious than you
Old 09-26-2004, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by dosers
I don't think Mercedes has hand-built a car since the McLaren's (and even the SLR and Maybach aren't 'entirely' hand-built). I haven't heard of this, and I'm not saying it ain't true :-) - but this seems very unlikely. Where does your dealer have that information from ?
According to what I know (for German spec as well as US spec cars), all SLKs, without exception, are done in the Bremen plant (where the SL is made as well). Now, the AMG models' engines are in fact hand-made (you know, by one guy who then signs your engine !) in Affalterbach, not far from Sindelfingen; these blocks are shipped to Bremen. Same for the SL55 and SL65 (which aren't handmade either, other than the engines). I don't think it would be efficient, nay, possible for them to switch to an entirely hand-made model - why would they do that ? It would cost a lot more, take a lot more time, and I don't see what it would accomplish, or rather what would neccessitate doing that.

I also don't know how the dealer could know that the 'chassis' is done. The Production date in netstar is somewhat ambigous. It marks the 'spec sheet' appearing at the Bremem plant, with bar codes (options, colour etc.) that determines the 'route' the car takes in assembly. Your chassis probably IS done, and quite possibly the engine too - production means that they are all 'married' to each other (first on paper then in the factory).

Anyway, maybe there's some big conspiracy I don't know about, but the dealer does :-) Just seems odd. No matter, it looks like your car is inching closer and that's good news regardless if built by (German) Ninjas or Robots

i dont think mercedes made the mclaren.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:27 PM

2005 MB SLK 55 AMG
McLaren (you're right)

Mercedes-Benz owns a 40% stake in the Mclaren Group.
True, Mercedes doesn't build McLaren cars per se, but the SLR is the only car being manufactured by McLaren in Woking (the F1 closed production in '98), and is build with Mercedes parts as well as 'local' parts. But - actually you are right - pre January 2000, Mercedes didn't own part of McLaren, hence the McLaren's I was referring to weren't build 'by Mercedes' :-)

Cheers,
Dan
Old 09-26-2004, 03:31 PM

987S
Maybe the "hand-built" only applies to the engines?..... all AMG engines are hand built by a single engineer. Each AMG engine is signed by the guy that built it.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
Originally Posted by SLK55AMG
Maybe the "hand-built" only applies to the engines?..... all AMG engines are hand built by a single engineer. Each AMG engine is signed by the guy that built it.
That's just common sense
Old 09-29-2004, 12:24 PM

987S
Originally Posted by dinko
That's just common sense
Yes but my point is that its not very likely that AMG plan on hand building the first 1000 SLK55s.

BUT ALL SLK55 engines will be hand built as thats what having an AMG means!