SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK55 vs. Corvette C6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E500
SLK55 vs. Corvette C6

This has been discussed before on this thread with both fair an unfair comments alike (IMO).

But some of the "fair facts" SLK55 proponents are trying to make their case in a Corvette (2005 - C6) forum and the commentary is both interesting and educating (as far as mindests are concerned).

I personally like both cars and find the choice a tough one.

SLK350 felt a little tight for me (on my intial test drive), but this is probably just perception. I love the C6, though I worry about its imagery and my social circles.

Anyway, have a look...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=935498
Old 10-29-2004, 03:54 AM

W210 E320, SLK55 AMG
It's kind of irrelevant here in the UK, but it seems to me they are aimed at completely different markets. All US cars without exception which have been sold in the UK in recent years seem to be somewhat disappointing inside, in terms of both the quality of materials used and the fit and finish. It's very obvious that they are built to a cost. I don't imagine the C6 will be any different, but I haven't sat in one yet. We have our own high performance for relatively low price manfacturers here in the UK (TVR, Lotus, Caterham, Marcos etc) and, like the Corvette, there are plenty of convincing reasons why they are better value than the SLK55. However, there are also plenty of ergonomic, residual value and quality reasons to choose the SLK55. I've owned three TVRs myself. However, there's not much point getting into a debate where neither side has any respect for the other's views, which is unfortunately common on forums. An enthusiast is able to enjoy cars for what they are, which even (gasp) means liking things they haven't bought themselves. An apologist can't see beyond their own current choice, and isn't worth listening to. IMHO, of course.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK55 AMG
i really adore the vette, i dont know why but i do!
Old 11-06-2004, 03:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
Your worried about what other people think?

Man, your shallow. Move to Boca. You will fit in great there! Buy what makes "YOU" happy. Don't be that other guy.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:17 AM

05 E500
(Since you're being so judgmental of others... The term is you're - not "your")...

Not sure whom you're calling on here, as you fail to properly signify with quotations, but in the event that you're referring to my comments...

In my business circles (major entertainment industry - including major productions with Mercedes event marketing), image is everything. All things relating to perception are relevant of course, because perception is reality for most. People who don't concern themselves with image usually don't have one, and it really shows.

And for all those who say they don't care what others think, they're usually the ones that care the most. Just insult these types ever so slightly, and you'll see the reality of just how much they truly care. Their countermeasures give them away. My guess is that you're one of these people.

Man, your shallow. Move to Boca.
Nevermind casting your judgment upon me any anyone else. Mind the details of yourself. Take a grammar lesson and learn how to communicate with some diplomacy. If you want people like me not to pinpoint your faults, then let's try presenting your thoughts with some common courtesy. The original posting was about a comparison of two cars, not an open invitation to personally attack the merits of others for their contemplated choices.

You will fit in great there!
I fit in great everywhere. I'm quite sure you will not.

Don't be that other guy.
"Other guy"?

I'll presume you own a Mercedes.

Why this car; are there not are other cars that will get you where you want to go all the same? Many people feel that all MB owners are "shallow." What makes you different; because a MB makes you "happy"? In others words, anything less than the MB would not do for your happiness? This, in the eyes of many, is "shallow," too. It all boils down to translation and perception. And your reality is (obviously!) not the same reality as it is for others.

So once again, nevermind your personal insults and stick to meaningful, productive discussions. I will have what I choose for my own reasons; perhaps I'll have more than one to include both cars. What are my reasons to you? Why should I justify my thoughts to you?

Worry about the choices you make and leave the reasons for others to them.

Last edited by c2jones; 11-08-2004 at 04:21 AM.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:38 AM

Mercedes C240
Compare equals

The SLK is a retractable hardtop.

The only fair comparison to the Corvette is to the ragtop version.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:00 AM

05 E500
The SLK is a retractable hardtop.

The only fair comparison to the Corvette is to the ragtop version.
Precisely.

I argued the same position in the Corvette Forum link (above).
Old 11-15-2004, 08:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche
Originally Posted by c2jones
Precisely.

I argued the same position in the Corvette Forum link (above).

Whether it's a hardtop or soft top convertible, if it's a sports car and in the same price class as the SLK55, then it's competition...

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1
Old 11-15-2004, 08:42 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by EKaru
Whether it's a hardtop or soft top convertible, if it's a sports car and in the same price class as the SLK55, then it's competition...

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1
Ekaru:

I think you may have missed the point of the brief comparison discussed so far. Yes, the SLK55, the C6 'vert and C6 Coupe are in the same relative price range. Comparing a ragtop/softop/hardtop convertible to another "convertible," regardless of droptop architecture is fair. What these enthusiasts are stating is that one CAN fairly compare an SLK55 hardtop convertible to a C6 softop convertible but NOT a C6 coupe.

Last edited by RU_MATRX; 11-15-2004 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:51 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by C32AMG

Man, your shallow. Move to Boca. You will fit in great there! Buy what makes "YOU" happy. Don't be that other guy.
I won't add more than what C2Jones already aptly laid out for you. Please learn to be more diligent in not assessing people's character so quickly in such a personal and unjustified manner. Your tangent point whether valid or not, doesn't even focus on the comparison at hand. Btw, I always state this as well, "perception and expectations create one's own reality." Additionally, image is very important especially in negotiations/business dealings. Never be so hasty to confuse perceived "image" with the intrinsic "character" of a person.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche
Originally Posted by RU_MATRX
Ekaru:

I think you may have missed the point of the brief comparison discussed so far. Yes, the SLK55, the C6 'vert and C6 Coupe are in the same relative price range. Comparing a ragtop/softop/hardtop convertible to another "convertible," regardless of droptop architecture is fair. What these enthusiasts are stating is that one CAN fairly compare an SLK55 hardtop convertible to a C6 softop convertible but NOT a C6 coupe.

lol... sorry I just skimmed over a bit of the post...
Eric...
Old 11-15-2004, 09:57 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by EKaru
lol... sorry I just skimmed over a bit of the post...
Eric...
Old 11-27-2004, 01:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
You just proved my point. You're a Shallow ignorant person who has a sense of entitlement.

So sad! You will get it one day though.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:26 AM

2004 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by C32AMG
You just proved my point. You're a Shallow ignorant person who has a sense of entitlement.

So sad! You will get it one day though.
Who are you referring to? You sound like a very immature brat who has no sense of character or class. The recent, uneducated posts you've taken the time to write shows a lot of ignorance as well as lacking any credibility. Who's getting what when? What inane point are you trying to support? What's up with the hike in recent immature posts from South Florida lately?

Last edited by RU_MATRX; 11-27-2004 at 01:29 AM.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:41 AM

05 E500
I always state this as well, "perception and expectations create one's own reality."
Very well stated. (Allow me to log this into my best quotes file in your name.)

Never be so hasty to confuse perceived "image" with the intrinsic "character" of a person.
Precisely. Another gem.

RU_MATRX, I like your crisp attention to detail and accuracy. Its a refreshing addition to this forum. Your taste in automobiles and advanced accessories matches your orchestration here.

Good stuff.

Last edited by c2jones; 11-27-2004 at 02:18 AM.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:13 AM

05 E500
Who's getting what when? What inane point are you (C32AMG) trying to support? What's up with the hike in recent immature posts from South Florida lately?
Who knows with him...

I'm in South Florida too - please don't hold it against me...

On the SLK hardtop convertible vs Corvette soft top convertible issue, to echo the point made here which you've correctly clarified, beyond mere price, any real comparison in performance must also be factored by the scale and versatility of the two cars. Corvette has a lighter load to carry even with the power soft top convertible, much less the manual one, and especially versus the coupe version. Combine the higher BHP of Corvette, and making performance comparisons between the two should never be absent this consideration (though too many seem to miss this).

The added versitility of a power hardtop has to be seen in a different light to which pure perfromance advantages should never offset this special feature. Even the nearly 500 BHP of SL55 (and 600) produce 0-60 times below or equal to 2005 Corvette coupe due to the tremondous difference in weight, much less that of the lower BHP SLK55. What I have to keep reminding my fellow Corvette Forum members is that these various published 0-60 times with the Corvette coupe (4.2 - 4.5) are not to be expected with the Corvette convertible (which even the manual modes are reporting times of 4.6, 4.7 and higher, let alone the powertop versions due next year).

So, all things considered, the SLK55, especially given its versatility, is a very respectable performer and its price is very reasonable for what one has overall.

I just happen to prefer the Corvette because it feels roomier internally (perhaps just perception, though) and I really like its new close-ratio manual shifting. (The magnetic shock feature is also rather special on the auto transmission, too.) Still, Corvette could use the 6spd auto its been promising next year to get here ASAP as SLK has a magnificient 7spd auto (even steering wheel mounted) already.

I find it just a tad surprising that SLK didn't come with power right there in the 400 BHP area, especially given AMG's ongoing horsepower thirst. Perhaps upcoming versions will be bumping up the powerband. (Corvette has its new Z06 edition stated to be tipping the scales at 500BHP and weighing even less than the current version! Its due real soon. Of course, its a fixed hardtop coupe, too.)

Last edited by c2jones; 11-27-2004 at 02:20 AM.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:18 AM

2004 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by c2jones
Who knows with him...

I'm in South Florida too - please don't hold it against me...
Not at all.

I just happened to have responded to someone else on the SL55/SL65 forum from Miami who was harshly deriding people unjustifiably regarding badges and stupid stuff. I was asking myself why all of a sudden these types of people were popping up here. Hehe.

Btw, I love Ft. Lauderdale! I may be out there in a week to take care of a condo property further North. I just sold one of my 2/2 Intracoastal waterfront condos on NE 33rd ct this summer. A great place!

Last edited by RU_MATRX; 11-27-2004 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:25 PM

05 E500
I was asking myself why all of a sudden these types of people were popping up here.
Exactly. Sad isn't it, that in a MB forum, where one would expect impecable mannerisms, the opposite can too often be found. Sometimes the so-called elite SL section resembles the Ford Mustang war rooms...

Btw, I love Ft. Lauderdale! I may be out there in a week to take care of a condo property further North. I just sold one of my 2/2 Intracoastal waterfront condos on NE 33rd ct this summer. A great place!
Seems like you know where to have the RE ventures!

Property appreciation here is amongst the highest in the nation.

Our group is buying up condo and hotels for 'condo-conversions' down in South Beach. We're putting two under contract on Tuesday (tomorrow) to where the price-per-square-foot is rising by the week, it seems! We use retail/residential components to the maximum per the zoning. Its been a real hot ticket!
Old 11-29-2004, 10:37 PM

SLK 55
Wow...this is the snootest thread I've ever seen. Thurston, Lovey. maybe we should take this to the real estate thread and then you wont have to be soiled with the opinons of the peasentry.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:05 PM

05 E500
maybe we should take this to the real estate thread
"Real estate thread," sir?

There was what; a couple of paragraphs?

You're "almost a member."

Why not make your time more productive by commenting on topics that interest you?

Coming into a thread you regard as the "snootest" only to throw your comments of discontent around elevates you no more than those you critique.

Remember the old added of free speech for TV and radio?

If you don't like what's playing, then tune out!

These forums don't charge you for your time or interest here.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:22 PM

SLK 55
Fair enough, how do I mark you for ignore?
Old 11-30-2004, 08:21 PM

AMG SL 55
i like the slk 55 amg and might go test drive one. And also i test drove C6 and well it was fast and the leafs springs work..but they dont pick up pot holes like the 55 does. Both are great cars!
Old 12-01-2004, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars and boats!
get the SLK55, the C6 vettes are a dime a dozen!!!
Old 12-01-2004, 02:24 PM

05 E500
i test drove C6 and well it was fast and the leafs springs work..but they dont pick up pot holes like the 55 does.
This has to do with merely the version of C6 you drove.

MB is known for their softer ride and flexible supension, but this car will price in the lower to mid $60K+ range (and more with ANY option), thus the SLK55 certainly should hold its own in this department.

However, I would bet that you test drove a C6 with either the base or the more aggressive Z51 suspension, right? Are you aware of the magnetic shock option (called F55) which has revolutionary liquid-filled shocks that "pick up potholes" better than any Vette you've ever driven; in fact, better than most higher priced luxury cars?

http://www.corvetteconti.com/C5-Magn...de-Control.htm

The option has two driving modes (tour/sport) and remains stable no matter what the road conditions or circumstances. For absolute assuredness in road mannerisms especially at higher speeds in imperfect situations, the magnetic shock option (exclusive to GM) is tough to beat. This was first introduced in 2003 but has now been refined even more.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/....php?qstId=503

For pure performance, a $62K+ SLK55, a grand touring car, not a true sportscar, will not accelerate and slalom with a $48K C6 Corvette. Consider the above F55 option on Corvette, and you have refined suspension with both forgiving yet sporty characteristics, perhaps not too far off from the MB.

I'm not promoting one over the other. I'm just making sure that you are aware that Corvette does have a version that does "pick up potholes" and still costs less than the 55 while outperforming it in every way.

But there's more to a car than just performance.

The versatility of a power hardtop convertible is in of itself, tough to bypass.

And Corvette has still to introduced its promised 6spd auto, much less compete with MB's 7spd paddle type shifter. But Corvette is introducing their 500+ BHP C6 Z06 next year, where some of these things may be manifested first.

Last edited by c2jones; 12-02-2004 at 02:25 AM.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:07 AM

05 E500
MPH Magazine just compared the C6 with magnetic ride control to the 911S (Carrera S) and had this to say...

"In terms of ride sophistication in the city, the Vette has the 911 beat. As the cars take a pounding on their passage downtown (NYC), the benefits of their so-called "active damping" systems prove out.... For such a powerful machine, its amazing that the Corvette absorbs raised manholes and unfilled road craters better than most luxury cars.... While the ride surpasses the outgoing 911's, its response times can't quite match the lightening quickness of the Corvette."

Last edited by c2jones; 12-02-2004 at 01:10 AM.