SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Brake Rotors

SLK55 owners!!!! are your front brakes directional or not directional? i mean are your front left and right rotors different? or the same? same as in the drill patterns both spin the different ways (which is a good thing) or they spin in different directions (which is bad).

I am very curious.... please let me know!

because the C32/C55 and E55 both do NOT have directional rotors! AMG/MB CHEATED US!
Old 12-03-2004, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
If it was that big of a deal from a performance of the brakes perspective I am sure they would have addressed it.

Are you having problems?

Schiznick
Old 12-03-2004, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

They are all like that.
I have personally checked the E55, C55, SLK55, SLK350 and the SL55 AMG and they all have the exact same brake rotor on the passenger side as they do on the driver's side.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:19 PM

a Black
That is my understanding too...

I believe they are the same on each side...which I also believe is a technical imperfection. Now, will anyone notice? If you ran your ride in LeMans perhaps, but most likely not around town or even during a track day. All I can figure is rotor cooling issues and perhaps increased pad wear.

But why did AMG allow this to happen is a great question...surely they know!
Old 12-03-2004, 03:44 PM

C32 AMG
im sure they did it because it was cheaper
Old 12-03-2004, 03:54 PM

2005 SLK55 2003 Acura MDX
I have noticed increased pad wear and noise from my passenger side front!?!

WHY? MONEY

Originally Posted by CLKVegas
I believe they are the same on each side...which I also believe is a technical imperfection. Now, will anyone notice? If you ran your ride in LeMans perhaps, but most likely not around town or even during a track day. All I can figure is rotor cooling issues and perhaps increased pad wear.

But why did AMG allow this to happen is a great question...surely they know!
Old 12-03-2004, 04:31 PM

a Black
are u sure?

Originally Posted by Teufel
I have noticed increased pad wear and noise from my passenger side front!?!

WHY? MONEY
Well, that is where the AMG's run "backwards"...thus, that is the correct side to notice it on.

Perhaps the Mod on this section has the ability to pull MB and/or AMG into this thread....because it is an "issue".

Why MB would skimp on cars that cost $60-200k baffles me! After-all, what could the proper rotor really cost...no way more then an extra $500! If it is a mass production issue...every AMG would need it, so.....

I understand that Brembo makes the AMG systems (or at least some of them i.e. the C32s), anyone with a full Brembo GT system comment on whether theirs are similar? Is this the case with all Brembos or just the AMGs?
Old 12-03-2004, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
As everyone has noted, the rotor that AMG specs from Brembo is the same for the left and right rotor. They use THE SAME part #, hence one side is indeed backwards.

I guess, Mercedes felt this would save not only money but also save them having to use extra part #'s.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 ML55, 2006 C6 Z06
Originally Posted by IdriveFast
SLK55 owners!!!! are your front brakes directional or not directional? i mean are your front left and right rotors different? or the same? same as in the drill patterns both spin the different ways (which is a good thing) or they spin in different directions (which is bad).

I am very curious.... please let me know!

because the C32/C55 and E55 both do NOT have directional rotors! AMG/MB CHEATED US!
That is what happens when Accountants make decisions instead of Engineers!

Somehow, Mercedes needs to Officially know it's Customers care about matters like this.

It is sort of like having 2 left flip-flop slippers, you can walk okay, but you get this weird feeling that everyone notices.

Why should you have to "settle" for wrong rotors?

Does BMW do this? How about Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin? Does anyone do this?

Last edited by RossN; 12-05-2004 at 05:20 AM.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:42 PM

2005 SLK55 2003 Acura MDX
Good question! Does anyone for FACT know whether BMW, Porsche and Ferrari do the same?

Believe me, it is all about money! For example, it would have cost MB may be $10 to put the antenna in the windshield just like the SL! Or another may be $20 for a better wind deflector. But you start adding up $10 here, $5 there...they have to cut cost. It sucks!

Originally Posted by RossN
That is what happens when Accountants make decisions instead of Engineers!

Somehow, Mercedes needs to Officially know it's Customers care about matters like this.

It is sort of like having 2 left flip-flop slippers, you can walk okay, but you get this weird feeling that everyone notices.

Why should you have to "settle" for wrong rotors?

Does BMW do this? How about Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin? Does anyone do this?