SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

What options are worth the money?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What options are worth the money?

Just wanted to know if the 420 Entertainment Package is worth getting or is it better to upgrade later w/ an aftermarket unit? Are the speaker holes precut and/or prewired for those that don't have this package?
Old 12-21-2004, 07:53 PM

SLK 55
I did'nt get the entertainment package, it seemed kind of pricey for two more speekers and a cd changer. However I can attest that the base system is the best sound system i've every had in a car. There are sounds and music notes on CDs I have that I have never heard before. It's beautiful man (said while wipeing away a tear)
Old 12-21-2004, 08:03 PM
CP1

SLK 55 AMG
My wife really likes the AIRSCARF. I think the upgraded audio system is worth it, too.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:38 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 slk55
Originally Posted by MGV156
Just wanted to know if the 420 Entertainment Package is worth getting or is it better to upgrade later w/ an aftermarket unit? Are the speaker holes precut and/or prewired for those that don't have this package?
I got the lighting package and entertaiment with navigation. I am kicking myself not getting the air scarf.

I briefly looked into adding the 420 package later or with an European command unit, but the thought of not having it on warrenty quickly nixed the idea.

Hope this helps.

-A
Old 12-22-2004, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
def lighting and navi on any mb
Old 12-23-2004, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
Navi and Lighting package are a must. But if you're opting in to buy a AMG, then just add on the Premium & Airscarf as well. It wont even make a slight difference in payment, but will be very pleasing. The phone is the only option I skipped.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:44 AM

Thumbs up $5,800 - is it worth it? Yes!

From mbusa.com

319 Lighting Package - $975.00
· Headlamp Washing System
· Bi-Xenon Headlamps

320 Entertainment package with Navigation - $2,800.00
· DVD COMAND Navigation
· harman/kardon Sound System
· 6-Disc CD Changer (Factory installed)

326 Premium Package - $750.00
· Garage Door Opener
· Rain Sensor
· Digital Dual Zone Automatic Climate Control

Options
· AIRSCARF neck level heating - $350.00
· Hands-Free Communication System (compatible portable phones sold separately) - $925.00

With what you are paying for the car, is $5,800 so much more? If anything, think of the resell. My car has every one of these options and I relish knowing I have each one, letting it add to my total delight.

Actually, while I've tested the headlamp washing system, I haven't had a chance to try the rain sensor yet, although I may get my chance. It's supposed to rain here tonite all thru next week!

And accessory-wise, I was thinking about getting that Plexi Screen (Wind Screen - Plexi Glass - $449.00). I'm afraid it would look cheap, but it sure would be nice to see clearly in the rear view mirror - I drive almost exclusively with the top down. Has anyone seen one of these in place to comment?

Last edited by lisamcgu; 12-27-2004 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:43 AM

06 SLK55 AMG Firemist/Blk
Originally Posted by lisamcgu
...is $6,220 so much more? If anything, think of the resell. My car has every one of these options and I relish knowing I have each one, letting it add to my total delight....And accessory-wise, I was thinking about getting that Plexi Screen (Wind Screen - Plexi Glass - $449.00). I'm afraid it would look cheap, but it sure would be nice to see clearly in the rear view mirror - I drive almost exclusively with the top down. Has anyone seen one of these in place to comment?
The CD changer comes with the Entertainment package so $5800.00 is the correct amount.

I have the wind screen and it looks and is MB high quality. It works very well and is worth every penny. At night if you have command on day mode you will get a slight reflection. Other than that you will not know it is there. It is also easy to remove and store (though I see no reason) using NO tools in less than 2 minutes.

Old 12-27-2004, 03:59 PM

Stunning Car!

Thanks for the picture! The screen, not to mention your red car!, looks totally high-end, better than the black screen.

And you're right about the computation as well - so for all of it, it is under $6,000, and under $5,000 if you forget the car phone thing. My car came with that phone thing which everyone, including the salesperson, originally told me was not worth it, more a pain to use than anything. I still haven't hooked a phone into it, I just thougtht it was nice knowing it was there.

Thanks again for the beautiful pics! I had wanted a red one but thought the resell wouldn't be so good. I then convinced myself that silver looked better but my initial first reaction in seeing the pic of your car was total awe!

The red is absolutely stunning and that clear screen just adds to it. Does it fit in place and fold down when the top goes up like the black screen (or does the blk screen even fold down into the car, I can't remember, I never have the top up!) or do you have to manually take it off each time you put the top up.

Last edited by lisamcgu; 12-27-2004 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:38 PM

Thanks for the compliments. I know it is a lowly 350 but I could not wait for a 55. I will upgrade in about 2 years. I'm hoping for a HOHC 4.7 V8 by then.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:57 PM

Windscreen - Clear Plexi v Black Mesh

I had never really looked at that black screen behind my head.

Upon doing so, I realized it is not some trick hard screen that folds into the car when the top goes up, it is just a black mesh piece of material!

And to replace it with a plexiglass windscreen, so you can actually see what is going on behind you in the rearview mirror, is $450.00. I thought okay, it must be some trick complicated part. No, it is just a small piece of plexiglass, just big enough to fit between the two headrests, and two small pieces of gray plastic that go on the bottom of the inside bar of each headrest so you have something to attach/slide the little plexi plate into. Very overpriced, but a necessity if you want to see what is behind you from the rearview mirror instead of trying to see with just your side mirrors. And yes, it looks awesome - not cheap. Even with the price, I would reccommend, in fact, I would try and negotiate it into the car as part of the sale if I had known.

Did everyone get that blk mesh material windscreen to begin with?

There is actually another 2005 SLK 55 in my city, and the first one in the southland that I have seen driving around besides mine. I spotted it parked last nite and talked to the occupant and the guy said his didn't even come with the material screen.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:14 PM

Thanks everyone for your inputs. My girl and I put our order in today.

Caspian Blue w/ Black interior
Lighting Package
Entertainment Package
Premium Package
Old 12-30-2004, 11:18 PM

Thanks everyone for your inputs. My girl and I put our order in today.

Caspian Blue w/ Black interior
Lighting Package
Entertainment Package
Premium Package
No airscarf?

Its the thing my passengers most rave about - a very useful, unique feature ...
Old 12-31-2004, 12:47 AM

No airscarf?

Its the thing my passengers most rave about - a very useful, unique feature ...
Nope. She didn't want it. She said if it gets too cold, just put the top up.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:04 AM

uh-huh. I can picture it now. You're in your 55, on a brisk day, clear and bright, the world stunning around you, a site to behold in all its glory and you're a part of it in your convertible, at one with the sky, nature, the world, perfect ...

Suddenly, from beside you, "BBBRRRR! I'M COLD. Pull over right now - I want the top up!"
Old 12-31-2004, 06:48 AM

Nope. She didn't want it. She said if it gets too cold, just put the top up.
I found the Air Scarf can be a great feature even with the top up. On a cold day turn the seat heater on and Air Scarf and you will get almost instant heat while waiting for the car heater to warm up. After having it there is NO WAY I would buy this car without it. It is also a feature that is 100% unique to the SLK.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:01 PM

Since we live in California, it doesn't get that cold compared to other states. I can tolerate the cold pretty well and she wears a scarf when it gets too cold. Besides, that could be another item in the car we don't want to worry about if it ever breaks.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:17 PM

Its not cold in CA????

Do you live in the same CA I live in? This past week in So Cal was rainy, cold and miserable. Even on the in between sunny days, it was suuuuuch a unique luxury to be in my t-shirt and jeans and just go from my house to my topless slk to lunch, all without having to make sure I had a jacket, scarf, gloves, tissues for a cold runny nose, a car blanket or anything else because, even though the sun was shining and it wasn't bone chilling just standing around, driving around topless could have been a very chilly experience.

Why are you paying top dollar for the slk if not for the unique luxury? Other cars go faster and look good. How many people get to feel and look comfortable in a t-shirt, if that is all they choose to worry about wearing, in their topless car on a sunny day, and like right away. As the other poster stated, the heated seats and scarf come on almost instantaneously. The scarf is part of the luxury pkg that goes with the slk, and almost certainly with the 55. To pay that much and then cheap out on any part of the deal that makes the pkg what it is ... have you thought at all about resale?

And as for it breaking. Why are you buying an MB if not for the German engineering backed by a great warranty? Perhaps if parts breaking plays such a part in your car buying criteria, I hear Honda makes some quick little sportscars. And I hear they're cheap too!
Old 01-03-2005, 10:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
The scarf is part of the luxury pkg that goes with the slk, and almost certainly with the 55. To pay that much and then cheap out on any part of the deal that makes the pkg what it is ... have you thought at all about resale?

And as for it breaking. Why are you buying an MB if not for the German engineering backed by a great warranty? Perhaps if parts breaking plays such a part in your car buying criteria, I hear Honda makes some quick little sportscars. And I hear they're cheap too!
I agree, when you look at the total expense of the car, the cost is nothing particuarly when you look at the benefit. I don't know how may times I've had the top down our our SL that I wishedthat the airscarf was available. Also, if you're purchasing the car and ever intend to sell it I guarantee that missing a key, unique feature can determine if your car will be sold. I would not buy an SLK without this feature. I would always have airscarf envy.

Spend the money or you can always by an S2000 or the Lexus convertibles.

I understand that people have financial limitations, but never sacrifice heath, safety, or (in this case) COMFORT to save a few nickles. Add some pimp-juice to your car.

Last edited by WIldcat465; 01-03-2005 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:11 PM

OK, i tried to convince the woman but she still won't budge despite the low addition. She's a practical person and her reason is that if it's too cold to drive w/ the top down, why even bother driving w/ the top down?? If the airscarf can emit cool air, then she'll reconsider.

We have no plans of selling the car at all. It's definitely going to be a keeper.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:24 PM

2005 MB SLK 55 AMG
hm.... who pays for the car - YOU or her ?! ;-)
I'd just get it, too, but hey, it's whatever you want.

I happen to think that the 320 Entertainment system (rather than 'just' the 420), and, frankly, all the packages as well as the scarf are well worth the money. Let's put it this way, I would miss every single option. But as you said, it's all subjective - which is the nice thing of course:-)
d
Old 01-04-2005, 05:33 PM

... if it's too cold to drive w/ the top down, why even bother driving w/ the top down?? ...
Uh, because you only have one life to live, so why not live it?