SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

any experience with the phone system?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 MB SLK 55 AMG
any experience with the phone system?

Has anyone ordered or used the 05 (!) SLK phone system?
It's the only option I didn't order, and I am considering it now, as the functionality is really cool. However, I am wondering if the V600 cradle (for example) will allow any V600 to be docked, or just the 'mercedes' version ? Also, I assume this is unlocked and not sim-locked to any specific carrier ? Or do you have to 'decide' which (GSM) carrier you want at purchase ?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 01-04-2005, 10:53 PM

audi mb bmw
I have it. I ordered it on my car so all the wiring, etc is there but I still had to pay $725 extra to get the phone and cradle from my dealer. Only the overpriced Mercedes-branded V600 (GSM) and V710 (CDMA) will dock with the cradle with full-functionality. The price you pay I guess. I went with a V600 and although MB claims they only "support" Cingular/AT&T since the actual V600 GSM phone that they provide has firmware that is specific to Ciingular networks only, my T-mobile SIM card works fine so it is obviously not SIM-locked. Keep in mind however that if you do use a carrier other than Cingular/AT&T, some network features on the V600 like web access, email, multi-media messaging, and sending pictures will not work. Text messaging and all other basic phone features still work fine. So if you don't access the web, or plan to use your V600 as bluetooth wireless moden for your laptop, the V600 functions very well as phone and you can go on using a non-Cingular carrier.

You are right, the functionality is very cool. Once docked, it interfaces with the COMMAND unit seamlessly and automatically. Stereo is instantly muted on an incoming call, you press a steering wheel button to answer, then you press another to hang-up. Also, the phone's contact list can be recalled on the COMMAND's lcd screen as well as scrolled through the information screen in between the guage clusters. People I've spoken through to it claim that I sound much clearer and better on my SLK's hand-free system than I do from the handset alone. Even when there's ambient noise in the car like the rumble of the motor or wind turbulence, somehow most of that is filtered out. It seems Mercedes engineers have tuned the input microphone perfectly and we have another design well-executed as is often the case. After spending $925 for the option and another $725 for the phone and cradle, it should be.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:31 AM

audi mb bmw
Some pictures...

Old 01-05-2005, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by dosers
Has anyone ordered or used the 05 (!) SLK phone system?
It's the only option I didn't order, and I am considering it now, as the functionality is really cool. However, I am wondering if the V600 cradle (for example) will allow any V600 to be docked, or just the 'mercedes' version ? Also, I assume this is unlocked and not sim-locked to any specific carrier ? Or do you have to 'decide' which (GSM) carrier you want at purchase ?

Thanks,
Dan
We also will provide UHI kits for the 2005 SLK, which allows you to use non-proprietary GSM phones, other than the V600 (examples are Sony T637 and Nokia 6230). The price should come out quite a bit cheaper when you consider the non-proprietary phone is quite a bit cheaper.

-s-
Old 01-05-2005, 03:00 PM

2005 MB SLK 55 AMG
!!

Thank you VERY much for the verbose explanation and the pictures !! Much appreciated.
I have to think about this a bit more - I love the features, but I really would mind much less paying this premium if it allowed me to use ANY V600 in that cradle, rather than the MB-branded one (with their firmware). I'll consider my options.
Anyway, once again, thanks !!!

Dan