SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Waiting Periods?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 E63
Waiting Periods?

Placed a deposit on Xmas Eve on a slk55 and was quoted that the car should arrive near summer. Does this sound reasonable and truthful? Anyone know how the process works or how we can determine the build date as well as ETA?

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

99 Boxster
2001 SLK320
SLK 55 AMG on order
Old 01-06-2005, 03:33 AM
Banned

SLK 55 AMG
Never Put Money Down For An AMG. Don't worry you can get it back, just look for the AMG car, don;t alowqate one <--- means something like ordering, but it is not an order, it is more like a request forum. AMG decides how many AMG cars a dealership gets and when.

Ask the dealer if he already has one coming!

I don't know if you payed over sticker, but everytime I see an AMG in the showroom I offer msrp and that is what the salesman say I can have it for.

I have a SLK 55 AMG. I did not wait, I looked around for one and it came with Lighting Package, Premium Package, Airscarf, Entertainment Package with Nav upgrade, and i got two tone interior black/white. The exterior color is black and I got the same 16 Spoke 18" AMG wheels, but in chrome. I didn't order this stuff, I found the car like that. I negotiated the price to msrp in less than one day, well that is what they offered me. It wasn't even in the showroom yet, I arrived and saw it coming off the truck. The whole thing cost me $73,000 and that is msrp + options + gas guzzler tax + destination + tax, chromed wheels, extended warranty $2,950 (7 years/100,000)- and all these little extra taxes.
So you put money down and now you are paying a little extra. If AMG puts all the options in the car with the two tone interior and chromed wheels then it should not be over $73,000. Unless you have a greedy salesman.

Anyway, you will have to wait 5 to 6 months. It is something called alowqated. AMG cars cannot be ordered and you can't pick your options. But I think if you put in an alowqated forum, then AMG will review its inventory and see if it already has a car like that or in the furture they will make a car the way you want it. AMG does not take orders, they decide what the car should have and how things are put on it. Don't worry they usually put every options on the car and they always do a good job with it too, especially the colors.

When you get the car, buy the extended warranty that makes your car have a 7 year/100,000 mile warranty. It is worth it, trust me, AMG parts are expensive. The extended warranty should cost $2950.
Also, ask the dealership for the little gift stuff that they have, like a pen, keychain, watch, or whatever. Make sure you get it for free because that would make the salesman even more greedy if he charges you for the $15 key chain when you just bought a $75,000. Make sure you put premium fuel in the car. Because it is a high performance high octane engine you do not want a lot of knock. Knock means the fuel (oxygen and gas) is ignited before the igniter can spark the fuel, this happens because the engine is so hot and it sparks the fuel before the igniter. Someone can explain this more if they want. Get microfiber towels, they are the best washing towels in the market right now, chamois is the second best to wash your car, and then a cotton t-shirt is the third best to wash the car.

Enjoy!
Old 01-06-2005, 07:25 AM

2012 Diavel
AMG's can't be ordered?

You are miss informed. I spec'd my E55 in the color(outside, seating, wood) and options I wanted when a car was allocated to the dealer and that's exactly the way it came in. I am waiting to do exactly the same with my cls55.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
No no no no no and no......
Old 01-06-2005, 01:04 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 slk55
SLK_55.... you are so mis-informed, most of us here ordered the exact color and packages that we wanted. If you pick one off the lot, then yeah, there is no choice on what is avaialbe.

Each dealership is allocated x number of vehicles based on their past sales, inventory, etc. What you order will come out of the allocation pool. If they have no standing order for their allocation, what I hear is that the dealership will just order a car base on what they think will sell.

If someone just put a deposit down, and was quoted a summer delivery then I would say it sounds a bit too soon but it really depends on the sales in the area.

I did put down a refundable $100 deposit at my place... if you don't like the car when it arrives then you just take the deposit and walk away. Most places would have no problems selling an AMG, regardless of color and options packages.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:39 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by sjcrash
SLK_55.... you are so mis-informed, most of us here ordered the exact color and packages that we wanted. If you pick one off the lot, then yeah, there is no choice on what is avaialbe.

Each dealership is allocated x number of vehicles based on their past sales, inventory, etc. What you order will come out of the allocation pool. If they have no standing order for their allocation, what I hear is that the dealership will just order a car base on what they think will sell.

If someone just put a deposit down, and was quoted a summer delivery then I would say it sounds a bit too soon but it really depends on the sales in the area.

I did put down a refundable $100 deposit at my place... if you don't like the car when it arrives then you just take the deposit and walk away. Most places would have no problems selling an AMG, regardless of color and options packages.
Hey Crash .

Did you get your car yet? I'm still wanting to stop by Smythe to check out your new ride . The manager said your car had cleared Customs in SF & they were awaiting its arrival any day (this was about 1 week ago).

These guys tell you when you can at least look at your car yet (maybe it takes them a day to wash & prep it for you)?

See ya,
-Matt
Old 01-06-2005, 06:45 PM

2005 MB SLK 55 AMG
aehm... I don't think this guy SLK55 is for real......
Old 01-06-2005, 07:51 PM

10 E63
Hmm Now I am real confused

Dosers,
Who is not for real ?

SLK 55 AMG, If I could buy one I would but the salesman tells me that I am 8th on the waiting list at this dealer. He took my order over the phone and asked me exactly what I wanted.

Thanks for the info but I need reliable data,
Old 01-06-2005, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Don't believe junior: SLK 55 AMG. Misinformation verboten.

HTH
Old 01-06-2005, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by SLK 55 AMG
Anyway, you will have to wait 5 to 6 months. It is something called alowqated. AMG cars cannot be ordered and you can't pick your options. But I think if you put in an alowqated forum, then AMG will review its inventory and see if it already has a car like that or in the furture they will make a car the way you want it. AMG does not take orders, they decide what the car should have and how things are put on it. Don't worry they usually put every options
on the car and they always do a good job with it too, especially the colors.

[...]

Make sure you put premium fuel in the car. Because it is a high performance high octane engine you do not want a lot of knock. Knock means the fuel (oxygen and gas) is ignited before the igniter can spark the fuel, this happens because the engine is so hot and it sparks the fuel before the igniter.

[...]

Someone can explain this more if they want. Get microfiber towels, they are the best washing towels in the market right now, chamois is the second best to wash your car, and then a cotton t-shirt is the third best to wash the car.

OMG... the part about not being able to order an AMG car was the funniest thing... until I read that a chamois is the second best thing to wash your car with. The part about how you'll get knock from non-premium fuel (despite all the anti-knock electronics in the car) was just icing.

-s-
Old 01-06-2005, 09:00 PM

SLK 55
"I don't know if you payed over sticker, but everytime I see an AMG in the showroom I offer msrp and that is what the salesman say I can have it for."

This is the 17yo who said his daddy bought his car for him!???????

I ordered mine, got the stuff I wanted.

It's allocated not alowqated.

I ordered mine the first week of Oct and picked it up Nov 20.

good luck with your choice NEWB
Old 01-06-2005, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Don't pay over sticker.

If you want a specific set up be prepared to wait. You can call around and find a list smaller than 8. The wait can be a while if your dealer does not have an allocation. If they have an allocation and your wait may not be that long.

Dealers order cars with options they think will sell if they don't have someone that has a deposit on it.

Find a dealer that treats you right and stick with them.

Enjoy your AMG they are a blast.

Schiz
Old 01-07-2005, 12:07 AM
Banned

SLK 55 AMG
I said you can't order, but you can alowqate an AMG car. Wow, you guys are really good at reading.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:27 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 slk55
Originally Posted by Yellow R1
Hey Crash .

Did you get your car yet? I'm still wanting to stop by Smythe to check out your new ride . The manager said your car had cleared Customs in SF & they were awaiting its arrival any day (this was about 1 week ago).

These guys tell you when you can at least look at your car yet (maybe it takes them a day to wash & prep it for you)?

See ya,
-Matt
Matt,

I hear its still stuck somewhere near LA, I wonder where it really is... Hope is not in the garage of some guy who's willing to pay $30K over list. Anyhow, I've asked Sam to also call you when the car arrives so that you can take a lookie.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:06 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by sjcrash
Matt,

I hear its still stuck somewhere near LA, I wonder where it really is... Hope is not in the garage of some guy who's willing to pay $30K over list. Anyhow, I've asked Sam to also call you when the car arrives so that you can take a lookie.
Man, this delay must be eating at you just a bit. Don't worry, I thought about the same thing you did (potential buyer willing to pay big money over list), & MB can't alowqate (that was a joke ) your car to someone else (unless you were to forfiet your depo which you already know).

Hang tough, your Bella Machina will come soon.

PS - thanks for asking Sam to give me a ring so I can sneak a peak at your rightous ride. I promise not to even touch it man! I'm happy for ya - its sooo close

See ya,
-Matt
Old 01-07-2005, 06:17 PM

2005 MB SLK 55 AMG
sigh....

Yes, but you can order. Anyone can. AMGs are made to ORDER exactly like any other MB out there. It might take a bit longer, but that has nothing to do with AMG. The cars are ALL made in Bremen (SLK), AMG simply ships the engines up to Bremen from Affalterbach.

Also, as someone else pointed out, it's 'allocate' not alowqate....

Oh well. Peace.

Dan

Originally Posted by SLK 55 AMG
I said you can't order, but you can alowqate an AMG car. Wow, you guys are really good at reading.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:59 PM

i put a deposit on a CLS55 and they said they will contact me about 4 weeks before i get the car to option it out. or if i dont want to wait they always get extras so i can get one of those if i want. i wait b/c my lease isnt up till spring anyway. BTW this dealer is owned by MB in germany so they get alot of extras. thats what they told me.