SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

HELP PLEASE....!!!!......SLK 55 or SLK63....?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About the steering, I just found out a full Brabus suspension kit was installed on my car, like before it was even driven, along with 19" wheels. And I guess there is some other aftermarket stuff too. Could that be why mine handles so well?
Old 01-18-2005, 07:40 PM

2005 SLK55 2003 Acura MDX
What???!!!??? No comment! Except may be for the "although I can see why this would be harder for a man" part. Does that mean you are the first female SLK55 owner in this forum? Just curious!:v

I did say no comment but you know men they are all liars! I would never compare a SLK or even a SL to a mid engine super car like Ferrari or Porsche (911T). But I wished my parents had those cars. Also, I think your lovely comments are more suited to a SLR or a CLK GTR ("space age")!

Originally Posted by lisamcgu
They "all" complain? I haven't seen that many articles, I must admit, but of those I have, I only saw one that dissed any part of the car, and that one went all out and dissed the whole car, like the guy had a vengence thing going. Because the other articles I've read had nothing but praise and this one was so negatively biased, I disregarded it completely.

Actually, what you and some of the less aware writers may be experiencing is that ESP or EP or whatever thing the car has. I just found out more about it last night and was told I had been driving the car perfectly for how it was made to be driven. The car employs the latest technology to, indeed, drive itself to the best of its abilities and, it would seem, beyond. It gauges steering and speed and maybe some other stuff (?) and uses that information to stabilize and increase the performance of the car, like the lowering suspension which kicks in at a certain speed and such.

Once you understand you are not driving your father's Porsche or Ferrari, but a car with all the latest and greatest technology available, think spaceage, and you are willing to give up total control (although I can see why this would be harder for a man :p ), you may find yourself driving along suddenly feeling especially unburdened and worryfree. Just letting the car work for you, take care of you, aside from everything else it gives you ... well, you probably never knew you could feel unconditional love from an inanimate object
Old 01-18-2005, 07:44 PM

Ofr course that would be partly the reason for improved handling/steering!

About the steering, I just found out a full Brabus suspension kit was installed on my car, like before it was even driven, along with 19" wheels. And I guess there is some other aftermarket stuff too. Could that be why mine handles so well?
Old 01-20-2005, 08:18 PM

Whichever one is available (1 of 5)
Originally Posted by SLK55_AMG
if it comes out , i will buy it and replace the 55 , so no problem for me , but i guess Ferrari will be my 2nd car

Why Ferrari, my housekeeper drives a Ferrari. Go first class, get the new SLR McLaren.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:21 AM

2006 E320 CDI, 2007 ML 320 CDI, 2008 C63, 2008 G55
SLK 55 or SLK 63

You're not likely to see an SLK 63 for some time. If there is any change to the AMG SLK it will likely be a 390 HP 5.5 liter V8 still called the SLK 55. I think the earliest that the SLK 63 could debut would be 2007.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:59 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 SLK55 AMG
Life's to short to wait....get the 55 and drive!
If you want to wait why not buy in 2025 for
a 1000HP SLK-100.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:38 PM

Red face

Originally Posted by AMG SLK55
Life's to short to wait....get the 55 and drive!
If you want to wait why not buy in 2025 for
a 1000HP SLK-100.
Classic! Maybe we should put on his gravestone, "He was waiting for Something Better"
Old 01-31-2005, 03:05 PM

Update SLK 55 OR SLK 63 ?!?!

Hello again folks,thanks for or all the replies..didn't think I would cause such a stir with this post..!!

Anyways got to see my salesmans boss last week and he has told me that its good new and bad news..!!....bad news..the slk55 allocation for 2005 is only 2 cars for the dealership (its the biggest one in the area also !) and I am number 4 on the list...!

He also went on to say that MBUK had scaled beck the allocations for this year and some UK dealers were not going to get any at all !

Good news is the SLK63 is definately going in to production and I am first on the list if I want to go for it !

He is still not sure on build dates etc...so guess I will hang on to my SLK350 for a little longer.

Plan to fly out to New Orleans this weekend and was thinking of checkin out an MB USA Dealer for a test drive of an slk 55...can anyone tell me the name of a dealer they could recommend so I could drop by and test the car since its unlikely I will be able to test the car in the UK before I actually get to buy the car if at all..!!

RSVP...Thanks folks..
Old 01-31-2005, 04:18 PM

Can't you just go over to Germany and buy the car directly from MB there? You could drive it home
Old 01-31-2005, 08:14 PM

Don't f--- around! Are you sure about a SLK63 in 2006? 6.3L NA 4V V8? 500hp? I don't think so! I hope not!

I know there's going to be such an engine in the upcoming S and ML and later in the SL class. But in a SLK? That would make the SLK faster than SL! That does not make sense! Unless the SL engine is supercharged!

Originally Posted by luckystar
Hello again folks,thanks for or all the replies..didn't think I would cause such a stir with this post..!!

Anyways got to see my salesmans boss last week and he has told me that its good new and bad news..!!....bad news..the slk55 allocation for 2005 is only 2 cars for the dealership (its the biggest one in the area also !) and I am number 4 on the list...!

He also went on to say that MBUK had scaled beck the allocations for this year and some UK dealers were not going to get any at all !

Good news is the SLK63 is definately going in to production and I am first on the list if I want to go for it !

He is still not sure on build dates etc...so guess I will hang on to my SLK350 for a little longer.

Plan to fly out to New Orleans this weekend and was thinking of checkin out an MB USA Dealer for a test drive of an slk 55...can anyone tell me the name of a dealer they could recommend so I could drop by and test the car since its unlikely I will be able to test the car in the UK before I actually get to buy the car if at all..!!

RSVP...Thanks folks..
Old 02-01-2005, 04:51 AM

987S

RSVP...Thanks folks..
Its very unusual for a dealer to actually know something about new models so until you see it in the motoring press I'd take the SLK63 with a pinch of salt. If you want a passenger ride in the SLK55 and live in the Heathrow area I'll have MBUKs press car from lunchtime today until Friday morning....... straight off the boat with delivery miles on the clock! According to my contact at MB I will be the first person in the UK to drive the official UK SLK55...... not even Merc people will get a go before me....... look out for pictures and video later in the week
Old 02-01-2005, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by SLK55AMG
Its very unusual for a dealer to actually know something about new models so until you see it in the motoring press I'd take the SLK63 with a pinch of salt. If you want a passenger ride in the SLK55 and live in the Heathrow area I'll have MBUKs press car from lunchtime today until Friday morning....... straight off the boat with delivery miles on the clock! According to my contact at MB I will be the first person in the UK to drive the official UK SLK55...... not even Merc people will get a go before me....... look out for pictures and video later in the week

Many thanks for the offer of a passenger ride,unfortunately I wont be able to make it down as I live in the midlands and have to work locally until friday when I fly out...the dealer says that the SLK63 may not be an AMG car just a SLK with a bigger engine..time will tell...(I am pretty pi**ssed off I can tell you all)...If you get the chance please speak to your contact @mbuk to see if there is any foundation to what my dealer is telling me...many thanks again...
Old 02-01-2005, 03:09 PM

Can't you just go over to Germany and buy the car directly from MB there? You could drive it home

Yes, I could go down the import route however this tends to hammer the residual values and the insurance guys can get fussy about insuring the car over here...thanks for the suggestion though.....
Old 02-01-2005, 03:15 PM

987S
Many thanks for the offer of a passenger ride,unfortunately I wont be able to make it down as I live in the midlands and have to work locally until friday when I fly out...the dealer says that the SLK63 may not be an AMG car just a SLK with a bigger engine..time will tell...(I am pretty pi**ssed off I can tell you all)...If you get the chance please speak to your contact @mbuk to see if there is any foundation to what my dealer is telling me...many thanks again...
Heres what you are missing

The first UK spec SLK55 in the country........ in Tellurite Silver (the colour I'd order myself!)

I must have done something good in a past life because not even the guys at MBUK got to drive the car before me....... as this is the press car you'll probably see it in the motoring press fairly soon.

I'll do a full report soon......
Attached Thumbnails HELP PLEASE....!!!!......SLK 55 or SLK63....?-slk55uk1.jpg   HELP PLEASE....!!!!......SLK 55 or SLK63....?-slkuk3.jpg   HELP PLEASE....!!!!......SLK 55 or SLK63....?-slkuk2.jpg  

Last edited by SLK55AMG; 02-01-2005 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:33 AM

SLK 350
Slk 63 Amg

Hi Everyone.

I am in Australia as i was about to buy a 55 to upgrade from my SLK350. I spoke to the dealer who was interested in selling cars but he said he can not see why they would not change to the 63 as they have done in the CLK.

I am now the first order for the SLK63 AMG to be delivered in Australia.

NO ETA but i hope early next year.

I can't wait.

Does anyone else have any more information?
Old 04-17-2006, 04:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
I doubt the SLK63 will arrive before the SLK gets a facelift which won't be until at least 2008.

M
Old 04-17-2006, 05:06 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Boy is this an old thread...

The 63 hasn't been announced officially, so who knows when it will come out. However, MB does tend to announce new cars just weeks before they go on sale, so who knows. It's just a new engine after all.

I also believe it will be part of a facelift. the original SLK went almost 5 years before a facelift came out (for another 3 years). The current SLK came out two years ago, so there's still a year or two in there before they up the looks (interesting to find out what exactly that look will be like... hmmm?).
Old 04-18-2006, 03:03 PM

2006 Brabus B55 (Brabus Modified SLK55)
I take Shinigami's word on most things in this - and other - MB forums. His array of knowledge is very impressive. His post should put the issue to rest.

But remember, if you are always afraid of the "next best thing," you will never own anything.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi All,

yesterday I visited the AMG factory in Affalterbach. I dropped off my SLK32 there. It will get the 'Nuerburgring Suspension' and the Vmax mod to 280km/h. I got a small tour which was very nice. I saw the orginial F1 CLK63 saftey car and lot's of other nice models.

I used the opportunity to ask the chap at AMG if there will ever be a SLK63. He quickly replied "No, never". But then again he might have to say that because once the word get's out that there are firm plans to release a SLK63, sales of the 55 would drop considerably.

Best regards

Thomas
Old 04-19-2006, 09:13 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Thomas: you dropped off an SLK 32 or a 55? I don't think they have the Nuerburgin setup for the 32... if I'm mistaken?

Although I don't see why it wouldn't be possible...
Old 04-19-2006, 10:12 AM

Hi!

I have the SLK 32 (R170). And yes, the Nuerburgring suspension is definitely available for it. Some folks in the german forum mbslk.de have it in their 32s and reported about it.

I'm thinking about getting a 55 (or 63) maybe in a year, that's why I asked the guy at AMG.

This evening I'm getting a 55 for a testdrive....

Best regards

Thomas
Old 04-19-2006, 11:26 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Ah, I see. Yes, I've never heard of an R170 specific nurburgring setup, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to install the R171 setup on an R170 if you find a way to fit all of it without a problem.

Good luck for the 55 drive, hope you like it (and good luck for the nurburgring setup as well).
Old 04-19-2006, 12:25 PM

Hi Shinigami!

I think it's a Nuerburgring set up specifically for the R170, but not sure. I guess the folks at AMG now what they are doing ...

I got the 55 from the MB dealer a few hours ago. Frankly my first impression is a bit dissapointing. I knew that the 55 does not have significantly more hp than the 32, but I expected the higher torque to make a difference.

I also don't like the hammering sound of the V8 so much, I actually prefer the V6 supercharged sound of my 32. All in all I think the 32 has more character. Maybe I'm the only one with this opinion. At least this saves me a lot of money for now

Oh well, I guess I have to wait for the SLK63 then...

On friday I will pick up my baby at AMG, I will let them now, if they want me as a customer for a new SLK, it ought to be the 63 ...

I'm waiting for my girl friend to come home and I'll take her for another ride with the 55. I'll try some winding roads this time

Best ...

Thomas