SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

DVD-Nav, I want to play DVD movies on it, How Can I?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 07:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 55 AMG
DVD-Nav, I want to play DVD movies on it, How Can I?

I have the Entertainment Package of Command with Nav-Upgrade, but as many of us know, we cannot play DVD movies on the system. My friends have told me that it is possible to do this though. You have to figure out a code or get a chip and stuff like that. I dunno, but does anybody know how to do this, make the DVD-Nav play DVD movies? How much would it cost? Where can I get it? Could I do it myself?

Thank You
SLK 55 AMG
Old 01-22-2005, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The only way I know for sure is to swap for a European unit.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:06 AM
Almost a Member!

http://nav-tv.com/benz.htm
Old 01-23-2005, 01:06 PM
Banned

SLK 55 AMG
Thank you.

Do I have to change the command screen already installed in my car? I don't want to take it out and put in another command screen in. Plus the website says their products are factory. Aftermarket stuff is not factory. If the dealer saw this stuff in my car, it won't be covered by the warranty. The TV-Nav is only for the models of the SL, CLK, S, C, ML, and the G class. Nothing for the SLK, especially for the 2005 SLK 55 AMG.

Is there a way where I don't have to change my equipment and watch dvd-movies with the stuff I already have preinstalled, which is the Entertainment Package of Command with Nav-Upgrade.

Last edited by Deuce; 01-23-2005 at 01:08 PM. Reason: error
Old 01-23-2005, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
So now you want to watch a movie while you are racing. I wonder what your potential, so far, non-existent sponsor would say. :v
Old 01-24-2005, 02:27 PM

2005 MB SLK 55 AMG
Well,
in Germany, they all do play VIdeo DVDs (IF you have the DVD-based Nav system with the big screen - there are 2 kinds in Germany, plus a 'Radio-based' option).
However, it shuts off Video once you start driving a few km/h. Also, the headunit appears to be different (the SKU is different as well), as are some of the buttons. So far, from what I have heard, you DO need to replace the head-unit IF you wanted to make this work; simply updating some firmware isn't gonna help here.
The in-dash drive IS a DVD drive though (even though it says 'CD' and is undocumented); in case you wanted to burn an mp3 music collection - it'll read DVD (DVD+RW for sure).
Old 01-25-2005, 09:06 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by SLK 55 AMG
Thank you.

Do I have to change the command screen already installed in my car? I don't want to take it out and put in another command screen in. Plus the website says their products are factory. Aftermarket stuff is not factory. If the dealer saw this stuff in my car, it won't be covered by the warranty. The TV-Nav is only for the models of the SL, CLK, S, C, ML, and the G class. Nothing for the SLK, especially for the 2005 SLK 55 AMG.

Is there a way where I don't have to change my equipment and watch dvd-movies with the stuff I already have preinstalled, which is the Entertainment Package of Command with Nav-Upgrade.
No, it works with all the stock equipment, I had nav-tv in my M3, worked like a champ!
Old 01-25-2005, 06:16 PM
CP1

SLK 55 AMG
I called NAV TV today. They don't have anything yet for the R171 with NAV. Their normal price for this upgrade is $1,500 for parts PLUS labor. Yikes! I don't want a new radio - all I want is the option turned on.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:53 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 S2000 , 2005 911 & soon 2005 slk55 AMG
Here's the answer to your question

I found a web site were you can buy a program for you Nav/DVD

DVD ACTIVATION
This Softwareupgrade activates watching DVD on your Command APS even while driving AND REGION-FREE DVD-Watching (your Command APS is then able to playback all DVD region codes - this is usually limited to your countrycode!!)! You need to send the unit to us or to meet up with our London (UK) agent. please ask for details (upgrades available for all Command 2.0-2.5 and APS units!).

http://www.r171.info/acatalog/interior.html