SLR McLaren (C199) Discussion on the SLR Coupe, Roadster and Sterling Moss Edition.

SLR/C199/R199/Z199: Accepting Offers on New SLR!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 ML350, 85 300D
Originally Posted by roccoriley
I was off a bit on the exact numbers but here is what the Wikipedia entry for MB SLR says: "Mercedes-Benz has stated that they will build 3500 SLRs in a span of over 7 years, with an annual production of only 500 cars. The 1000th car was produced in February 2006, in black for a Japanese customer."
That was the original plan (actually, the real original plan included an aluminum body second generation Mclaren-but thats done), but they stopped building them several months ago, there is just over a thousand in the world, and 430 something in the US.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
limited #'s

imho, few cars built doesn't always mean it's worth more.
the last year of the 928GTS for 1995, i think there were less than 125 made in the US. also, look at the carrera GT or the aston martins...or even the S65's. all three are relatively rare, but they've all taken major hits for the first 2 yrs despite the scarcity.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:17 AM

SL55, Cayenne S, Tundra, 360 spider
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
imho, few cars built doesn't always mean it's worth more.
the last year of the 928GTS for 1995, i think there were less than 125 made in the US. also, look at the carrera GT or the aston martins...or even the S65's. all three are relatively rare, but they've all taken major hits for the first 2 yrs despite the scarcity.
Or my last car the Phaeton W12 hardly any made, it is a great car just poor dealer support. The NSX is another great super low production car as well.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:53 PM

various
Anyone remember the Bricklin?
Old 12-02-2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by roccoriley
Anyone remember the Bricklin?

Yep. I remember a friend of a friend had one. I was about 12 y/o at the time. I thought that thing was really cool.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Originally Posted by pmb600
I guess this venture didn't work out like they had planned.
Shame on MB's greed, then. What did it expect to happen when it stickered these things in the $480k range? Geez, the Ford GT only costs about $250k and it's more racer than grand tourer. Plus, for $400k, why does the SLR have the 2002 C-class radio headunit in it??? Lame, really lame (the pricing). MB's marketing/pricing people deserve to lose their jobs over that bit of misjudgment.

But seriously, the whole bloom came off the SLR rose at the thought of Britney's bare, shaved, and raunchy truckstop muff slurping around on the fine leather seats of Paris Hilton's SLR...
Old 12-03-2006, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by vixapphire
Plus, for $400k, why does the SLR have the 2002 C-class radio headunit in it??? Lame, really lame (the pricing). MB's marketing/pricing people deserve to lose their jobs over that bit of misjudgment.
I know, first time I sat in the SLR I was like what is this radio doing here?? I should tell one of my friends who has an internship at MBUSA headquarters to relay the message to the marketing people

But seriously, the whole bloom came off the SLR rose at the thought of Britney's bare, shaved, and raunchy truckstop muff slurping around on the fine leather seats of Paris Hilton's SLR...
UGH...I hate that ho and when I saw that I wanted to vomit everywhere. Seriously what happend to that thing?? she had a c-section too so she has no childbirth excuse for its appearance...
Old 12-03-2006, 08:09 PM

. Plus, for $400k, why does the SLR have the 2002 C-class radio headunit in it???
They were following suit with the Z06 which has the cobalt radio. It is a marketing ploy.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Originally Posted by NOTA4RE
They were following suit with the Z06 which has the cobalt radio. It is a marketing ploy.
i hear you. of course the difference between an s55/65 and SLR pricing wise is multiples of the diff between a stock and Z06 corvette, but that's neither here nor there.

at least mercedes has the common sense to color-match the backlights in the radio LCD's to the color of the dashboard lighting: my 01 SLK had orange lighting in the radio to match the dash; the e classes that year had the same radio with white/blue lighting to match their dash lights. on the other hand, the corvette (at least in the 98-05 frame) had dark blue dash lighting, and the radio? that awful, cheap looking green lcd. lamer than lame, if only for the obviousness of the lack of attention to detail. in a nutshell, when GM starts to get stuff like that right (consider the XLR-V), they can produce a stunning product; otherwise, it's easy to get the impression that no one minding the shop seems to care very much.

anyway, where were we? oh yes, about Britney's ****...
Old 12-06-2006, 09:59 AM

05 E500
anyway, where were we? oh yes, about Britney's ****...
Say, doesn't this look like an SLR that Britney is sitting in... in this now set of famous naked crotch shots being circulated all over the place? She is with her vixen pal Paris Hilton whom seems to have her exposed crotch shot by photographers left and right as well. I dare not place an actual crotch shot here, but I can place this teaser, which is the least exposed shot amongst a series of shots sent me last night...
Attached Thumbnails Accepting Offers on New SLR!!-britney2.jpg  
Old 12-06-2006, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by c2jones
Say, doesn't this look like an SLR that Britney is sitting in... in this now set of famous naked crotch shots being circulated all over the place? She is with her vixen pal Paris Hilton whom seems to have her exposed crotch shot by photographers left and right as well. I dare not place an actual crotch shot here, but I can place this teaser, which is the least exposed shot amongst a series of shots sent me last night...
Yup, it is in fact Paris Hilton's SLR. We were commenting above about that dirty dirty thing that Britney put all over the beautiful leather in that car. I would never get near Paris' car, it must be crawling with herpes and crabs.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
A year later and price predictions were way off.
CGT is back over $400k and SLR is still hovering slightly above $300k,not much depreciation to note,certainly no SLRs at $200k anywhere,regardless of mileage.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Banned

SLR
Originally Posted by absent
A year later and price predictions were way off.
CGT is back over $400k and SLR is still hovering slightly above $300k,not much depreciation to note,certainly no SLRs at $200k anywhere,regardless of mileage.
And as production stops, more and more of them are shipped overseas, the prices will start to climb.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:26 PM

ML500 AMG pkg
My understanding of the radio choice is as follows: The SLR was in development at the time of the C class, the monocoque is formed into a one piece design including the center console, by the time the SLR went into production the radio was old news and a retro fit would be to expensive. The audio system is D2B (first generation fiber optics) which has the radio, amp, tele aid and ctel system, the next generation is MOST in which the entire system works much faster and is not compatible with D2B. My opinion is who needs a radio when you can listen to the awsome exhaust tone!

MB has now taken the SLR into a new level with the 722 GT which has it's own series, you can go to the RENNTECH site and see, yes they are the official support and authorized dealer for the 722 GT. It's about time they allow the owners to be able to use and experience the full potential of the vehicle!
Old 04-15-2008, 12:47 PM

05 E500
MB has now taken the SLR into a new level with the 722 GT which has it's own series, you can go to the RENNTECH site and see, yes they are the official support and authorized dealer for the 722 GT. It's about time they allow the owners to be able to use and experience the full potential of the vehicle!
RennTech is one of many MB tuners. Most of us here are very aware of the players. Brabus and others are also doing nice SLR's. (Hard to improve too much on SLR anyway. Everything else is for serious track interests, bragging rights, or cosmetic.) The RennTech guys (just north of me in Palm Beach, FL), would build you a jet-propelled MB if you had the ample resources. Its always about the funds.