SLR McLaren (C199) Discussion on the SLR Coupe, Roadster and Sterling Moss Edition.

SLR/C199/R199/Z199: Worth every penny

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 09:45 PM

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Rolls Royce Wraith, 1999 CLK Cabriolet, 2023 Genesis G90
Worth every penny

This weekend was AMG/SLR weekend for me and here's a brief report on the SLR Experience. As the thread title states, it was worth every penny to participate in this event.

The day started at the Homestead Speedway with a gourmet breakfast and proceeded to the track. We were given time with an instructor in the SLR on a quasi-autocross course, which started off on the banked oval and then turned into part of the inside course, including a short run through the cones to get a feel for the handling capabilities of this vehicle. Sitting so far back from the front of the car, one has to adjust to this perspective, and turn in a bit sooner that one would otherwise do in an ordinary car. This first event set our senses up for what was scheduled later, namely the road course. After this initial event, it was on to the autocross, done in SLK 55's. I was able to achieve third place in that event, and won a gift certificate to the Ritz Carlton. The person who came in second (0.2 sec faster than I) received an SLR helmet, and the first place winner (0.4 sec faster than I) got a Tag Heuer watch. I would have liked the watch, no doubt, but was pleased to place in the top three. After completing this session, it was off to lunch, followed by more track time. Having eaten a nice lunch, we went back to the road course, in which we alternated between SL 55s/65s and the SLRs. Both were amazing on the track, but incredibly different in their handling characteristics. I had one instructor for all the track sessions and in this way was able to make noticeable improvements in my technique around the road course. I overheard my instructor tell the session director that he could turn me loose and not get nervous in the car. That was flattering, coming from an experienced racer who was riding shotgun at 120 mph.

The only uninviting portion of the entire day was the karting. The premise behind the event was sound: teaching quick handling and control of the vehicle in a tight course, without overdriving, but it took a toll on my back the day before at the AMG Graduate course, so I sat that portion out, and only did the kart course in the SLKs. Amazingly, most people's times in the SLKs were similar to their times in the karts.

All in all, the day in the SLR was an exhilarating experience that I would gladly do again. We had a small group of drivers, which allowed for more one on one instruction. That is one reason it was worth the expense. The other is self explanatory and can be defined by three letters: S L R
Old 10-09-2006, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cee Fiddy Five
My dad was invited...but alas he did not go!