SLR McLaren (C199) Discussion on the SLR Coupe, Roadster and Sterling Moss Edition.

SLR/C199/R199/Z199: Ceramic disc surface cracks and squeal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes SLR, G63, s500 2013, Bentley GTC and 1970 Rolls Royce Corniche
Ceramic disc surface cracks and squeal

Hey guys,

I have a 2006 SLR with about 2000 miles. During my service at a shop, not the delear, they informed me the ceramic brakes have surface cracks and this was causing the squeal. In past I did my homework and found ceramics squeal no mater what you do or replace. The squeal only appears now after driving and warming the brakes up. Cold they are quite. And they only squeak when I'm about to stop. IE, slow speed up to a traffic light. I was told before to stop the squeal I need to hard brake from crazy speed which I never did. My question is this do I need to replace the brakes? If I do which after market brake company should I use? I was quoted 370,000 AED in Dubai from Brembo and this is with a 40% discount which works out to 100,750 USD for 4 disc, pads and sensors. I found carbon ceramic brakes from wilwood for 5000 USD which is wayyyy better but have no clue about them at all. Any help would be appreciated. To sum up again, do I need new brakes or am I good as? Thanks
Old 06-16-2015, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Mercedesslrs
Hey guys,

I have a 2006 SLR with about 2000 miles. During my service at a shop, not the delear, they informed me the ceramic brakes have surface cracks and this was causing the squeal. In past I did my homework and found ceramics squeal no mater what you do or replace. The squeal only appears now after driving and warming the brakes up. Cold they are quite. And they only squeak when I'm about to stop. IE, slow speed up to a traffic light. I was told before to stop the squeal I need to hard brake from crazy speed which I never did. My question is this do I need to replace the brakes? If I do which after market brake company should I use? I was quoted 370,000 AED in Dubai from Brembo and this is with a 40% discount which works out to 100,750 USD for 4 disc, pads and sensors. I found carbon ceramic brakes from wilwood for 5000 USD which is wayyyy better but have no clue about them at all. Any help would be appreciated. To sum up again, do I need new brakes or am I good as? Thanks
Contact these guys here" https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...e-c63-b-s.html
They are a sponsor on the forum and should have the right answers for you. The price you were quoted is completely ridiculous.

Good luck
Old 06-16-2015, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes SLR, G63, s500 2013, Bentley GTC and 1970 Rolls Royce Corniche
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Contact these guys here" https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...e-c63-b-s.html
They are a sponsor on the forum and should have the right answers for you. The price you were quoted is completely ridiculous.

Good luck
Will do thanks again.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:34 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550
Originally Posted by Mercedesslrs
Hey guys,

Since 2006 the technology on CCM brakes has been greatly improved and price also become more affordable.

For Mercedes we are capable of offering stock CCM replacement for those cars come with CCM brakes, or the complete CCM brake kit or retrofit upgrade for those modes (like C63) that CCM option is not available.

RacingBrake has a complete brake solution, including brake pads and/or iron rotor/CCM conversion that can resolve or improve the squeaking issue from the material fundamental.

Converted from carbon ceramic to steel rotors. No more squeaking!!!!

'11 SL550 No more brake squealing!

If you can post a picture showing the surface cracks it will be helpful.

Last edited by RacingBrake; 06-17-2015 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:32 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550
We have since released our CCM rotor upgrade for GT S here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/amg-gt-gt...ml#post6514771

Any SLR owner looking for replacement or upgrade for the brakes, we can help.