SLR McLaren (C199) Discussion on the SLR Coupe, Roadster and Sterling Moss Edition.

SLR/C199/R199/Z199: **RARE FIND** Mercedes SLR prototype intake manifold

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
**RARE FIND** Mercedes SLR prototype intake manifold

Well I work for an un-named engineering firm. My company several years ago was contacted from a company in germany and was asked to test some welds on a car intake and other aspects of it. My company was more than happy to agree to it. We tested the welds and other various parts of the intake. My company was going to send the intake back but the company from germany was not interested in having the intake back just the reports on it. I was not around during this time but the intake has been sitting since 2003 in a box. My company was going to toss the intake and I asked to have it not really knowing anything about it other than it was from a mercedes car. I asked to keep it and started researching a mercedes SLR and low and behold its mercedes supercar. I went to my local dealership and was qurious on how much this intake is worth new as a replacement part. The counter person could not beleive what I had and said he had no part numbers let alone prices on the intake. Several of them agreed the intake new as a replacement part should be in excess of 3k. The intake is hand fabricated and heli-arch welded together. It has a built in air-water intercooler as well. And from pictures I have seen of the engine is looks exactly as the the piece on the car, just not in black.

My questions is how much could this thing really be worth? Im sure to a collector it could be worth some amount of money. Any opinions? Input?

http://community.webshots.com/album/192871627lxAXcG

Last edited by 86MCSS; 10-15-2004 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:53 PM

Over a 100 views and no comments? Come on guys, give some comments, good, bad, or ugly. Any recommendations on what websites to visit to get more info on it? I will be posting it on ebay in a couple weeks. Im not sure if I should clean it up and remove all the writing or not? The writing on it are notes from germany.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
good luck withg this thing. I personaly think its worthless. But good luck trying to make a buck out of it. I wold keep the german notes on it as maybe it is the mclaren or amg tech's writing their reviews of it.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:39 PM
Banned

F248 F1
pretty interesting man ! id keep it and sell it later to some one who needs a replacement lol or just for collection saying u ownd a SLR but salvaged it cuz u mest it up pretty bad lol jp
Old 10-17-2004, 11:54 PM

At least im getting replies!! keepem comin...
Old 10-18-2004, 06:50 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tell me what you think a spare part is worth from a "prototype" with no warranty and no part number coming from the back of someones office.

If I said $50 it would be because I didnt have anything smaller in my wallet at the time.

Anyone with $ to buy the car doesnt need a sample part.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by miroj
Tell me what you think a spare part is worth from a "prototype" with no warranty and no part number coming from the back of someones office.

If I said $50 it would be because I didnt have anything smaller in my wallet at the time.

Anyone with $ to buy the car doesnt need a sample part.
Tell that to the people who buy spiderman comic books for over a million dollars and others who buy nik-naks worthless to you and me for millions of dolllars. Im sure someone out there wants this as a collectors piece. And I hope to find him
Old 10-18-2004, 05:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 86MCSS
Tell that to the people who buy spiderman comic books for over a million dollars and others who buy nik-naks worthless to you and me for millions of dolllars. Im sure someone out there wants this as a collectors piece. And I hope to find him
I suggest you talk to them ...... last time I did they were in their study wrapping everything in plastic.

There is a difference between exclusive and rare. Any fool with a million dollars can buy an SLR.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
I would hold on to it for a hundred years, begin posting it on eBay, then finally sell for $100,000,000.00.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E320CDI, CLK55, and a Smart
Its only worth what the right person is going to pay for it. Good luck finding that person.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'07 Carrera S, '31 A 5W hot rod, 4Runner. Sold CLK55
It has $0 value as a replacement part because it does not come from M-B with the standard parts warranty. No dealership or SLR owner would even think of touching it.

I can't think who would pay a couple of grand for the thing . I'd say your best bet is to put a piece of glass over it and make it a coffee table
Old 11-04-2004, 09:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by H-MAN
It has $0 value as a replacement part because it does not come from M-B with the standard parts warranty. No dealership or SLR owner would even think of touching it.

I can't think who would pay a couple of grand for the thing . I'd say your best bet is to put a piece of glass over it and make it a coffee table
perhaps someone could put some blades into it and make it one of those all purpose kitchen tools - turbo slicer .....

I saw a Diablo engine as a coffee table. It was in the showroom right next to the window as you walk past. That was one sweet coffee table.