Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Originally Posted by bigben320e
Classic quotes, hilarious.

Sound8, this thread is going rather badly. Let's pull the rip-cord and call it DOA. The first flop thread was shut down, this one is even worse on GP. Not trying to be insulting, and people are entitled to opinions, but the logic flow of the arguments you have on the SLS are not adding up.

The SLS is selling, it is sold out until 2012 so it is not a flop. Period.
If you look at the amount of hits this has had, then I would say it's a hit!
the previous one even more so.By being contrversial it brings interest, I
don't care if everyone loves it, and it's sold out, by posting this, as you say,
everyone entitled to their opinion, can post them, I can't pull the rip -cord
I presume these things die when people stop replying, and it looks like they
still are. All I said was how can they call a car an SLS when it does not have
gullwings, my theory is so they can charge as much. It will be interesting when other members see the roadster whether they agree about it's looks.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
I always enjoy sound 8s threads. They are quite entertaining and he is always a good sport even if we "pile on" a bit.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cal1
I always enjoy sound 8s threads. They are quite entertaining and he is always a good sport even if we "pile on" a bit.
Well thank you kind sir,

It's nice to know somebody enjoys them, I writing for the small guy
Old 11-22-2010, 04:53 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by sound 8
Lots of people watch Jersey Shore, too - that doesn't mean it's any good or of any substance. People love to see a train wreck.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
the previous one even more so.By being contrversial it brings interest, I
don't care if everyone loves it, and it's sold out, by posting this, as you say,
everyone entitled to their opinion, can post them, I can't pull the rip -cord
I presume these things die when people stop replying, and it looks like they
still are. All I said was how can they call a car an SLS when it does not have
gullwings, my theory is so they can charge as much. It will be interesting when other members see the roadster whether they agree about it's looks.
Well...honestly you do have a point. Sure the SLS coupe does not have gullwings I agree. I also agree that marketing ploys are used all the time, and sure some will go for it.

When people stop replying it will die out, I think most are responding due to logic flow of your first post. You stated the SLS is a flop, and it is not. Nor will the coupe be, and those are just facts. Admittedly, the SLS is not the best looking MB to me but that is just my opinion. IDK....

Old 11-23-2010, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bigben320e
Well...honestly you do have a point. Sure the SLS coupe does not have gullwings I agree. I also agree that marketing ploys are used all the time, and sure some will go for it.

When people stop replying it will die out, I think most are responding due to logic flow of your first post. You stated the SLS is a flop, and it is not. Nor will the coupe be, and those are just facts. Admittedly, the SLS is not the best looking MB to me but that is just my opinion. IDK....

You see you have replied, and I am glad you did.
As other members know my threads can be boring as others are, but they
are also controversial and often spark a heated discussion, this I love, but not
when it turns to insults. You can see how popular threads are by the hits
they get. I have certainly had some stick over the time I've been on the
Forum, and often get bored and go off it for a while, but there is always
something to bring you back.
I'm sure you would miss my sledge hammer wit if I stopped, most of you seem
to know each other, so I have to be there as the whipping boy.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
Well I have just read a report on the SLS roadster, SLS! now SLS is
synonymous with gullwing, and gullwing it aint What it is, is
another SL, and at 180 grand, $270,000 a very expensive SL. For that
you get a badly designed softop same as the SLR, guess they had a few
left over. This can be ordered in a different colour, so if you have black
with red roof, you get a big canvass red stripe across your bootlid. There
is also no rear windows and god knows where the wind deflector goes,
altogether a dogs dinner To my mind if they are going to take
away the talking point , gullwing doors , there is no need for the old
retro looks, and why the price, just greedy.
To me a SL65 offers better looks,proper convertible , more power and
less money, even if I prefer the SLS come SL gearbox. When a new SL AMG
comes along with the new 5.5 twin turbo lump at probably 70k cheaper
the SLS Roadster is dead and buried, think about it! unless you associate
the more it cost the better it will be.
go jump off a building or something!
Old 11-24-2010, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
+1
Old 11-24-2010, 11:31 AM

2000 CL500 1992 300SE
Interesting thread....may I add my 2 cents pls.

IMO, the original SL, that was designed with Gullwing doors was a Mercedes 'sportscar' for the times. The SL Roadster from that period was also a Mercedes 'sportscar' for the times, but the 'roadster' was just that, a 'roadster', which in the european vernacular, 'roadster' refers to a a sportscar with a convertible top.

Fast forward to the 80s and 90s, when a Mercedes SL is more of a GT (Grand Touring) car than a 'sportscar'. Most automotive journalists then and now, regarded the MBZ SLs or Sport-Light cars of that and the current era, as far from 'light' and too heavy, plus far from 'sport' and too comfort laden to be considered 'real' sportscars, but fine GT cars.

ALL MBZ SLs of the 80s and 90s came with a convertible top and if a car from the 80s had a hard top, it was called SLC.

Now in the millenium, we have AMG, the performance division of MBZ, designing and building a new SL(S) or SL Sport, but this new AMG built SLS Sports car addresses the complaints about the previous generation SLs (plural SL) and makes the new SLS a 'true' Sportscar. It is a fact as the engine is being unrestricted up to its top speed potential and the SLS is capable of taking on most, if not all, current 'serious' Sports cars of this era.

Just as the original SL of the 50s was a benchmark sportscar, both in design and performance, the new SLS AMG is too, but knowing that the times have changed and because the previous generations of SLs before the new AMG built SLS were more GTs and not particularly 'serious' Sports cars, they designated the new car - the SLS, or SL(S)port and then in order to pay tribute to and acknowledge the origins of the original MBZ SL (Sport Light) sportscar of the 50s, that has since become a very expensive and highly sought after prized collectable automobile, they designed and built the new SLS with Gullwing doors.

The Roadster version of the new SLS, will be just as equal in performance and serious Sports car behaviour as the original SL roadster in comparison to the original SL that came with gullwing doors.

The new MBZ AMG SLS and SLS Roadster, should not be confused in style or performance, with a GT like performing SL (or..lol..Speed Limited) car, of this, or any previous era of MBZ SLs, excluding the original SL with Gullwing doors....imho.

I hope I made sense.

Last edited by Ifari; 11-24-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Sound 8...Get your sorry azz back over to the SL forum, nobody wants to listen to you rant and criticize the SLS over here, If you you don't have anything but negative comments to make then STFU! You have no reason to post in this section, it seems that your goal is to try to get a reaction out of people, you don't see me over in the SL section boasting about the SL being a "chicks car" do you? ...and IMO the SL most definetly is a chicks car, take a stroll through any country club parking lot for proof you douchbag.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by jrcart
Sound 8...Get your sorry azz back over to the SL forum, nobody wants to listen to you rant and criticize the SLS over here, If you you don't have anything but negative comments to make then STFU! You have no reason to post in this section, it seems that your goal is to try to get a reaction out of people, you don't see me over in the SL section boasting about the SL being a "chicks car" do you? ...and IMO the SL most definetly is a chicks car, take a stroll through any country club parking lot for proof you douchbag.
well said lol.

is this your car? i live next town over, Glen Ellyn
Attached Thumbnails Expensive Flop II-73156_172279826122174_100000204727002_621442_6507734_n.jpg  
Old 11-24-2010, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by tasho3
well said lol.

That looks like JR Carts car!!
Old 11-24-2010, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well said lol.

Yes, that's my car. I live in Naperville but my girlfriend lives in Lombard so I'm always out in the Glen Ellyn, Lombard area. BTW, where was that pic taken, I don't recognize the lot?

I was asking you on another thread if you have a hot blonde wife that drives your car. I raced a hottie in a white C63 near 355 and North Ave. a while back.

Last edited by jrcart; 11-24-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

... I mean 355 and roosevelt
Old 11-24-2010, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C63 Sedan
Yes, that's my car. I live in Naperville but my girlfriend lives in Lombard so I'm always out in the Glen Ellyn, Lombard area. BTW, where was that pic taken, I don't recognize the lot?

I was asking you on another thread if you have a hot blonde wife that drives your car. I raced a hottie in a white C63 near 355 and North Ave. a while back.
hahaha yeah probably it was her, she said she dont recall anything! lol i got arrested right over in that area back in 2007 for racing my cousins E430 with my C43, clocked us at 145mph lol

and the 63 is her car not mine!

oh and the pic my buddy snapped it idk where but i saw it in his Facebook

Last edited by tasho3; 11-24-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hahaha yeah probably it was her, she said she dont recall anything! lol i got arrested right over in that area back in 2007 for racing my cousins E430 with my C43, clocked us at 145mph lol

and the 63 is her car not mine!

oh and the pic my buddy snapped it idk where but i saw it in his Facebook
She doesn't recall anything, LOL, if it was her she's got to recall it, I've seen her (if it's the same women) a few times in that area as well as over near Rt 59 and Roosevelt, she totally egged on the race, she even brake stalled the thing before the light tunred green. If it's not her then there's another hottie running around the area in a C63.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C63 Sedan
She doesn't recall anything, LOL, if it was her she's got to recall it, I've seen her (if it's the same women) a few times in that area as well as over near Rt 59 and Roosevelt, she totally egged on the race, she even brake stalled the thing before the light tunred green. If it's not her then there's another hottie running around the area in a C63.
lol well she meant she never recalled seeing your BS, and sh is only 21 if that helps, she takes roosevelt and rt 59 to go to her moms usually lol, small world,
Old 11-24-2010, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lol well she meant she never recalled seeing your BS, and sh is only 21 if that helps, she takes roosevelt and rt 59 to go to her moms usually lol, small world,
It's gotta be her, mid length hair, past shoulders, highlights and she's got good taste in sun glasses too
Old 11-24-2010, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well isn't this thread going great guns, lot's of interested people wanting
to put in their two pennies worth, shame about the less brainy ones
who revert to insults, maybe their the people with too much money
Old 11-24-2010, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by Ifari
Interesting thread....may I add my 2 cents pls.

IMO, the original SL, that was designed with Gullwing doors was a Mercedes 'sportscar' for the times. The SL Roadster from that period was also a Mercedes 'sportscar' for the times, but the 'roadster' was just that, a 'roadster', which in the european vernacular, 'roadster' refers to a a sportscar with a convertible top.

Fast forward to the 80s and 90s, when a Mercedes SL is more of a GT (Grand Touring) car than a 'sportscar'. Most automotive journalists then and now, regarded the MBZ SLs or Sport-Light cars of that and the current era, as far from 'light' and too heavy, plus far from 'sport' and too comfort laden to be considered 'real' sportscars, but fine GT cars.

ALL MBZ SLs of the 80s and 90s came with a convertible top and if a car from the 80s had a hard top, it was called SLC.

Now in the millenium, we have AMG, the performance division of MBZ, designing and building a new SL(S) or SL Sport, but this new AMG built SLS Sports car addresses the complaints about the previous generation SLs (plural SL) and makes the new SLS a 'true' Sportscar. It is a fact as the engine is being unrestricted up to its top speed potential and the SLS is capable of taking on most, if not all, current 'serious' Sports cars of this era.

Just as the original SL of the 50s was a benchmark sportscar, both in design and performance, the new SLS AMG is too, but knowing that the times have changed and because the previous generations of SLs before the new AMG built SLS were more GTs and not particularly 'serious' Sports cars, they designated the new car - the SLS, or SL(S)port and then in order to pay tribute to and acknowledge the origins of the original MBZ SL (Sport Light) sportscar of the 50s, that has since become a very expensive and highly sought after prized collectable automobile, they designed and built the new SLS with Gullwing doors.

The Roadster version of the new SLS, will be just as equal in performance and serious Sports car behaviour as the original SL roadster in comparison to the original SL that came with gullwing doors.

The new MBZ AMG SLS and SLS Roadster, should not be confused in style or performance, with a GT like performing SL (or..lol..Speed Limited) car, of this, or any previous era of MBZ SLs, excluding the original SL with Gullwing doors....imho.

I hope I made sense.
Now that was well said.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:54 PM

2000 CL500 1992 300SE
Thanks cal1.....may I ask a question of you pls?

I noticed that you mentioned earlier in the thread that you were very impressed with the SLS after driving it.
Have you ever driven an SLR and how does the SLS compare to it?

On a personal note, I really like the SLR because of the McLaren influence, but I watched the newest Jeremy Clarkson video, titled - 'Italian Job' last night and he declared the SLS as the Best car of the show and that was in comparison to the new Ferrari 458 Italia, Lambo Gallardo Super Leggeria, Ferrari 599 GTO and Audi R8.

I just wish he had given an indication as to how the new SLS compares to the SLR.

If anyone reading this knows how the 2 compare, I'd certainly appreciate the input.

Thanks again.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E63S wagon
lol well she meant she never recalled seeing your BS, and she is only 21 if that helps, she takes roosevelt and rt 59 to go to her moms usually lol, small world,
It's gotta be her, mid length hair, past shoulders, highlights and she's got good taste in sun glasses too
Quote 1 + quote 2 = PICS OR BAN
Old 11-24-2010, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car seems to be a winner. Can't find it locally and the few dealers that do have it are asking and getting over MSRP.

Definitely a beautiful car. The 'vert version will be great
Old 11-25-2010, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C63 Sedan
yep it had to be here, she has like 10 pair of sun glasses and never takes em off when she drives lol
Old 11-25-2010, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Is this personal or about the thread, because quite a few inc Ifari find
it interesting, sure makes more interest than the barrage of hate and venom
in your post. Everybody posts on sections where they don't have the car, why don't you have a go at people who post, when they don't even have
a Mercedes, there are plenty in all the AMG sections. And as far as the SL
being a chick's car..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLS/R197/C197 AMG: Expensive Flop II