SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: What are SLS' really going for?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 03:12 PM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
What are SLS' really going for?

I'm planning on moving to the SLS within the next year from the Black Series, was wondering what people were seeing in regards to price. I see a lot of listings at west coast dealers going for $220-240k, but talking with a couple of east coast dealers they have been taking sticker price. I'm guessing the "gotta have it" crowd has some dealers seeing the blood in the water. Intuition says to expect depreciation similar to the R8, which holds up amazingly well in the current economy. At MSRP my spec'd SLS is around $195k, which is relatively reasonable. At $230-240, you're in Ferrari 458 and McLaren MP4-12C territory.

Just wondering what people are seeing as asking price.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK Black
Originally Posted by Carac
I'm planning on moving to the SLS within the next year from the Black Series, was wondering what people were seeing in regards to price. I see a lot of listings at west coast dealers going for $220-240k, but talking with a couple of east coast dealers they have been taking sticker price. I'm guessing the "gotta have it" crowd has some dealers seeing the blood in the water. Intuition says to expect depreciation similar to the R8, which holds up amazingly well in the current economy. At MSRP my spec'd SLS is around $195k, which is relatively reasonable. At $230-240, you're in Ferrari 458 and McLaren MP4-12C territory.

Just wondering what people are seeing as asking price.
Sticker or more. I don't know of too many 458's in the 230 range as most are ordered at around 260. I am sure the MP4 with options will be close to 250. The SLS is not a bad deal right now at sticker. Who knows where it will go from here.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I live on Long Island (east coast) and my local dealer got in an SLS not too long ago. Surprising it sold pretty quickly. My salesperson sold it, said it went for $5,000 over sticker, but they would have sold it for sticker, appears there was a bit of a bidding war for interest on the car (one of the few on Long Island). I am sure that in a year from now you will definitely be able to get one for sticker, if not below.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
The owner of the Indianapolis MB dealers told me he will play no games, but no deals either just full MSRP.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:42 PM

2009 Nissan GTR
We are selling the one in my showroom for sticker, no markups... $200,975... black on black.. CF trim, CF upgrade and BO audio... not advertising (cant sell out of my area anyways) but just saying that we arent marking them up, Im sure not everyone is
Old 02-19-2011, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
Yesterday I was at MB of Encino and they had a white SLS in the showroom. Sticker was $208k, but they had a $100k markup bringing the total to $308k. I wish I was kidding.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:43 PM

2009 Nissan GTR
Wow... thats asking alot.... but I guess in LA it's a different world than here in Maryland near Wash DC
Old 02-19-2011, 05:34 PM

2017 991.2 Turbo PDK 2017 C63S Coupe Ceramic Brakes 2015 CLS63S AMG Full House
My local MB guy left me with one for a few days, the car is mind bending, but when I compare it to my LP 560-4, there is no comparison, AMG, needs to rethink alot on this model especially if a standard SL65 blows it out of the water.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by Sher Judge
My local MB guy left me with one for a few days, the car is mind bending, but when I compare it to my LP 560-4, there is no comparison, AMG, needs to rethink alot on this model especially if a standard SL65 blows it out of the water.
In what respect will the SL65 blow the SLS out of the water? Certainly not cornering, braking or general handling. The SLS should even hold its own in straight line performance. The big V12 probably has more modding potential and can be turned into a straight line monster.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by cal1
In what respect will the SL65 blow the SLS out of the water? Certainly not cornering, braking or general handling. The SLS should even hold its own in straight line performance. The big V12 probably has more modding potential and can be turned into a straight line monster.
Cal1, you 100% spot on, it's like AMG built PORSCHE's GT3, it's the business in all rights, except blistering acceleration, but you are right, it's handling, breaking and concept are of a very high pedigree, but remember it's older Uncle the SLR or it's younger brother SLR 722, just almost complete the super league Mercedes AMG brand, making the SLS a very pricey yet almost functional poser for what you paying for, in my opinion.

Also remembering the Pagani models powered by the V12 AMG monsters blocks. Those are super contenders that the current SLS has to face and sorry, stands no chance.

Please AMG, I know you going the Audi R8 route here with the SLS for making good $$$ $$$ $$$ profits, but seriously bring out a V10 TT or V12 TT model, oh and I almost forgot bring out a model with the
55 Kompressor motor fitted to the SLR's.
You got the space in there for intercooling.

Now we talking SLS- AMG - PERIOD.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:29 AM

2009 Nissan GTR
Black Series

http://www.4wheelsnews.com/breaking-...on-of-sls-amg/

Lighter weight and more hp will help... Even if they are using the same engine (600hp maybe) but with lighter weight. The impression the sls shows is that Mercedes wants to make cars with more than straight line speed or ones designed to shred rear tires on turns. Time to put BMW's M division down for good.

Last edited by Shahul; 02-20-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:30 PM

CLK Black
Cal1, you 100% spot on, it's like AMG built PORSCHE's GT3, it's the business in all rights, except blistering acceleration, but you are right, it's handling, breaking and concept are of a very high pedigree, but remember it's older Uncle the SLR or it's younger brother SLR 722, just almost complete the super league Mercedes AMG brand, making the SLS a very pricey yet almost functional poser for what you paying for, in my opinion.

Also remembering the Pagani models powered by the V12 AMG monsters blocks. Those are super contenders that the current SLS has to face and sorry, stands no chance.

Please AMG, I know you going the Audi R8 route here with the SLS for making good $$$ $$$ $$$ profits, but seriously bring out a V10 TT or V12 TT model, oh and I almost forgot bring out a model with the

Poser? Really?

In my mind, blistering acceleration is not the only measure of a Super Sportscar. I said Super Sportscar because I am not sure but I don't think AMG calls it a "Supercar." You also mention an R8, I don't think that is a "Supercar" either.

In reality by the numbers the SLS is really close in 1/4 mile times to the SL65 yet in every other performance catagory it blows the SL65 away. The SLS is quicker around the NBR than the SL65 and even the SL65 Black Series. The SLS was designed to be an all around performer, in my opinion throwing in a V12 and charging 400K for it would have been a much worse situation.

AMG Built a car that can be driven every day, has incredible performance, the luxury of a mercedes and can run like a scaled dog when required. Then they priced it below everything even similar in the market today.

It is not a GT3 but you can run it on the track and keep up with many of them. Perhaps it does not have the performance of a SLR722 but you get 97% of the performance for less than half the price and don't have to take the car apart to change the oil.

How can you say that a Pagani is a car that you would shop against a SLS? That is like comparing a Military Tank to a Land Rover for your choice of offroad vehicle.

If your definition of a Supercar includes Enzo, Bugati, 918 Spyder or Pagani it is going ot be really tough to compare it to an SLS and why would you. Just get one of each
Old 02-20-2011, 10:25 PM

Well said, but as i've said too the SLS comes from a highly pedigreed stable, but just does not cut it for me, it is more of a commercial product then it was 60 odd years ago. So it's not very special too me as an AMG collectors piece. But it is very special as a MERCEDES BENZ.

As I've replied before, I had the pleasure of using an SLS for a few days, yes I was blown to pieces, but I will say it again my Lambhorghini LP 560-4 e-gear will have this car, any day, anywhere, and anytime too. (south african conditions)

As for the the PAGANI Zonda Roadster F, I have one imported to South Africa, it is only temporarily here as all left hand drive cars are illegal to license and register here, since 2003. Now this is what you call throughbred sports car, built with AMG parts, through and through, and I don't see why the SLS did not come out like this.

I did not comment on the SL65 BS, but personally think the company needs a rethink in that department, as the SL65 BS did very poorly in South Africa.

And yes the standard SLS is a wonderful and dynamic car, but just has no match for many a highly pedigreed throughbred sports car or super car.

Point Taken.

And if I may say this with all my complaining about how the SLS should have or could have. It is a very pretty boys car.

Oh and one last thing, they should have attended to the closing of the doors in a more acceptable way, that is once seated in the SLS,

None the less it will go down as one the many great Mercedes Benz products out there.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan

wow, did you just try to compare the Zonda to the SLS?!
Old 02-22-2011, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whatever there's gas in...
Did you miss the part where he said he HAS one!? Pics or
Old 02-22-2011, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by AMG Dictator
Poser? Really?

In my mind, blistering acceleration is not the only measure of a Super Sportscar. I said Super Sportscar because I am not sure but I don't think AMG calls it a "Supercar." You also mention an R8, I don't think that is a "Supercar" either.

In reality by the numbers the SLS is really close in 1/4 mile times to the SL65 yet in every other performance catagory it blows the SL65 away. The SLS is quicker around the NBR than the SL65 and even the SL65 Black Series. The SLS was designed to be an all around performer, in my opinion throwing in a V12 and charging 400K for it would have been a much worse situation.

AMG Built a car that can be driven every day, has incredible performance, the luxury of a mercedes and can run like a scaled dog when required. Then they priced it below everything even similar in the market today.

It is not a GT3 but you can run it on the track and keep up with many of them. Perhaps it does not have the performance of a SLR722 but you get 97% of the performance for less than half the price and don't have to take the car apart to change the oil.

How can you say that a Pagani is a car that you would shop against a SLS? That is like comparing a Military Tank to a Land Rover for your choice of offroad vehicle.

If your definition of a Supercar includes Enzo, Bugati, 918 Spyder or Pagani it is going ot be really tough to compare it to an SLS and why would you. Just get one of each
IMHO, AMG did it so well (bold print above) that people can't help but compare the SLS to cars in totally different catagories.