SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: SLS Black Series vs Dodge Viper SRT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 01:43 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS63S
Originally Posted by jrcart
I will be sending my SLS BS to Weistec so they can install a stage 3 SC on it as well, should be a real beast after that, I imagine there will nit be many cars anywhere that will be able to beat that on a track.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
^this!
Old 07-05-2013, 12:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ford svt's, and C63!!!
There would be no comparison between a stock C BS and an SLS BS, the SLS wins hands down in probably every category. Now if your're talking my Weistec Stage 3 C BS against a stock SLS my C BS will slaughter it in every category. My C puts down 40 more hp to the wheels than the SLS BS makes at the crank, I have also upgraded my C to the same carbon ceramic brakes that are on the SLS BS. I will be sending my SLS BS to Weistec so they can install a stage 3 SC on it as well, should be a real beast after that, I imagine there will nit be many cars anywhere that will be able to beat that on a track.
There isn't any opening for employment where you work, is there? Hahahahahahahahahaha, just kidding, but I'm not kidding when I say you have some unreal machines in your stable!!
Old 07-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will be sending my SLS BS to Weistec so they can install a stage 3 SC on it as well,
How much juice are looking at on this upgrade? Will it rival your CLK's 1,000hp or will it be more?
Old 07-05-2013, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
997.2 GT3
The choice of manual transmission would be all about driver involvement for me. Flappy paddles would work better on a track day car, but give me an old school stick to row for the mountain twisties.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:46 PM

'09 C63 P30 Eurocharged
It might just be me, but the Viper looked like it was a lot more fun on the track as well (albeit in the hands of a professional). The SLS is so competent and surgical that it seemed boring in the video.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
You will hate me more becuase I am getting the first one sold in the US. I was notified by my dealer this week that build status on NetStar went to B1 which means 13 days until production. I can't wait, looks like a monster on the track.
I call Bullshyt on that! We all know that your "friend" from Ohio has the first of everything Mercedes! I specifically recall a post stating that he has the first bs sold in the US.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:52 PM

E46 M3,15 Yukon Denali,09 C63
Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro
I completely agree, to be so excited that you beat a car that costs 2.5 times less is nothing to be proud of.
This is such a ricer/ ignorant comment for a one reason that I care to touch one.... Anybody who knows anything about cars knows the BS line is very rare and limited thus causing the price to be very high so that has nothing to do with the performance side of things.

You can say the viper is a better bang for buck but to say it isn't amazing simply because the BS cost more is just ignorant. It is impressive because cylinders,displacement,hp,tq and weight all favored the viper and the BS still out performed it. Everybody who is is saying they shouldn't have even been compared would not be that if the viper would've won, it would've been " oh how amazing it is because it beat a car that cost so much" and that is ignorant ricer math. It would be expected given everything on its side stat wise.

The viper was built to compare against the exotics that are 2x-3x the price wasn't it? And now that it lost its not fair because it cost less?

Last edited by kaz109; 07-05-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:53 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by kaz109
This is such a ricer/ ignorant comment for a one reason that I care to touch one.... Anybody who knows anything about cars knows the BS line is very rare and limited thus causing the price to be very high so that has nothing to do with the performance side of things.

You can say the viper is a better bang for buck but to say it isn't amazing simply because the BS cost more is just ignorant. It is impressive because cylinders,displacement,hp,tq and weight all favored the viper and the BS still out performed it. Everybody who is is saying they shouldn't have even been compared would not be that if the viper would've won, it would've been " oh how amazing it is because it beat a car that cost so much" and that is ignorant ricer math. It would be expected given everything on its side stat wise.

The viper was built to compare against the exotics that are 2x-3x the price wasn't it? And now that it lost its not fair because it cost less?
so you're saying 'ricer' and 'ignorant' are one in the same?
I'm guessing you're not of Asian decent?

Old 07-06-2013, 07:03 PM

08 Viper ACR, 09 Nissan GTR
Originally Posted by black-clk500
I wonder what the outcome would be if the Viper had a "proper" transmission
I think a manual transmission is a mistake in a high powered car today. The technology for flappy paddles is just faster, sorry all you manual guys. I get the driving connection associated with a manual and the "old school" feeling, but in the supercar realm today, a stick has no place IMO. More durable, cheaper, less bugs..yes, yes, yes---faster

I don't get the whole manual transmission chest pounding in a car like this and the Z06. I really think guys some how feel cooler and tougher if they row their own gears, even if they're slower than a similar flappy paddle car. And anyone who thinks driving a non-manual car is less enjoyable or boring, needs to push their cars more or come for a ride with me with ESP off Manual transmissions are old, outdated nonsense in high powered cars today. What's next, should I get drum brakes installed on my car and no power steering "look guys, no discs..you're so pu$$y having disks, haha"

Also, these lap times are with a professional driver handling both cars, put in the hands of the average ham fisted owners, the Viper will do much worse vs the SLSBS because the Viper is manual.

Anyway, just my .02, is the SLSBS better..of course it is, could the Viper beat the SLSBS on the track with proper flappy paddles, yep! But you gotta run what you brought!

End rant--flame suit on
I have cars with both, I do think manuals are more fun but the dual clutch autos make me a way better faster than i really am with a stick.

Dodge was looking into making a dct for the viper, i think the 2 things holding it back are, the massive amounts of torque of the 8.4l v10 and low production. Dodge/chrysler doesnt have any other cars to share the tranny with. The dodge race car does have a dct so it probably will have one in the future.

One of the biggest differences in the comparison is the tires. a gen 4 viper acr is ~30 seconds faster around nurburgring compared to the normal sls. ACR and SLS Black series cars come with pilot sport cups, viper srt and normal sls do not.

The Gen 5 viper TA holds the laguna seca production car record which is ~2 seconds faster than the SLS BS just lapped. If mercedes could just find a way to shave 3-400 lbs off the sls BS, it would be a monster. It looks and sounds like a german muscle car.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:04 PM

08 Viper ACR, 09 Nissan GTR
There would be no comparison between a stock C BS and an SLS BS, the SLS wins hands down in probably every category. Now if your're talking my Weistec Stage 3 C BS against a stock SLS my C BS will slaughter it in every category. My C puts down 40 more hp to the wheels than the SLS BS makes at the crank, I have also upgraded my C to the same carbon ceramic brakes that are on the SLS BS. I will be sending my SLS BS to Weistec so they can install a stage 3 SC on it as well, should be a real beast after that, I imagine there will nit be many cars anywhere that will be able to beat that on a track.
damn! congrats, i gotta see some vids of that once its done.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:48 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Porsche 991 GT3, 2012 cls63 Kleemann K3
There would be no comparison between a stock C BS and an SLS BS, the SLS wins hands down in probably every category. Now if your're talking my Weistec Stage 3 C BS against a stock SLS my C BS will slaughter it in every category. My C puts down 40 more hp to the wheels than the SLS BS makes at the crank,.

what about the weight difference? sls bs 3-400 lbs lighter?

Last edited by mainly; 08-05-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by mainly
what about the weight difference? sls bs 3-400 lbs lighter?
300-400 pounds is not equivilent with the extra 200 or so hp my modded C BS makes over a stock SLS BS.

Next week when I get my SLS BS I will line it up next to my heavily modded C BS and GoPro it to show you the difference. Have yo not seen the video of what my C BS did to a 3300 pound exhaust and tune modded Lambo Gallardo LP560-4? Keep in mine my C BS weighs in just over 4000 pounds now with the blower and cooling mods.

Enjoy