SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: New owner Bang & Olufsen Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLS AMG
New owner Bang & Olufsen Help

Hi i just bought 2011 SLS and was wondering what can you guys tell me about the B&O sound system. I seem to cannot get a decent bass out of that car even after I had taken to a dealership and they replace both of the woofers. I really dont know what to expect out of that sound system but from my honest opinion the bass sounds worse than that of a Kia. It does not sound compress and crisp to any kind of music. I would love to hear some inputs on this or if anyone in the Dallas, TX area is kind of enough to let me hear theirs it would greatly be appreciated. I have read the reviews on this system and its suppose to be ridiculous.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:44 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
if any local new or used dealers have one on the floor may be you can ask them to see if you can hear the sound system on their car.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Sound like yo have an issue, I do not have the B&O in my SLS BS but I sat in an SLS GT that had B&O and it sounded incredible. My stock system is good but the B&O takes it to another level.

I suggest heading over to AMG Private Lounge and posting your question there, AMG engineers and employees frequent that forum and should be able to offer up some assistance.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:00 PM

SLS AMG
Thanks I will try over there also

Originally Posted by jrcart
Sound like yo have an issue, I do not have the B&O in my SLS BS but I sat in an SLS GT that had B&O and it sounded incredible. My stock system is good but the B&O takes it to another level.

I suggest heading over to AMG Private Lounge and posting your question there, AMG engineers and employees frequent that forum and should be able to offer up some assistance.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:52 AM

SLS AMG
Originally Posted by WoW-BaO
Hi i just bought 2011 SLS and was wondering what can you guys tell me about the B&O sound system. I seem to cannot get a decent bass out of that car even after I had taken to a dealership and they replace both of the woofers. I really dont know what to expect out of that sound system but from my honest opinion the bass sounds worse than that of a Kia. It does not sound compress and crisp to any kind of music. I would love to hear some inputs on this or if anyone in the Dallas, TX area is kind of enough to let me hear theirs it would greatly be appreciated. I have read the reviews on this system and its suppose to be ridiculous.

There probably may not be any issue with your B&O, that's just the way B&O is. I drive BMWs as my DD and have B&O on my SLS and I fully understand where you are coming from.
Try some rock music on this system and you can realize the beauty of this system. With R&B / hip hop it sound just average.
Also recently I noticed that this system doesn't like mp3 a lot, there is huge difference in quality playing high quality MP3 vs the same music from a CD.
try some pink Floyd music on the B&O and try the same CD on any other system, you will be able to feel the huge difference.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
I seem to have the same issue with my B&O as well, any sort of dance music or base will make the subs sound loose and waffley, so I had an appt at the dealer in December but the snow came down and my car has been in storage since, so it is an issue my dealer is aware of and want to get figured out. My wifes 2014 GL has the harmon kardon and that dance/hip hop music that sound likes crap on my $7000 B&O sounds incredible in her GL, the more I raise the volume in her car seems to not distort the bass at all. My dealer, seems to think it could also be an issue with the B&O amplifier?? Keep us posted here as I cannot tackle this problem for about another 6 weeks.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
SLS AMG
I'm assuming you've adjusted the bass upwards? At the default middle settings my bass is weak. But changing the settings to add bass makes it good. PLUS (as I mentioned in a separate thread) adjusting the expensive/upgrade B&O stereo system so it focuses on the driver side (rather than center) makes it sound amazing.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG SLS & S coupe
My bass was overwhelming when I picked up the car. When I went to lower the bass I discovered that it, and the treble were turned up all the way. I reset both to "up 5" and it sounds great.

Last edited by Daytona-flyer; 02-24-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:16 AM

2012 SLS (M159)
i have the same exact isuue , the bass is stifling and worse then any other car outhere , i had no chance to go dealer show it yet ..
Old 03-03-2014, 07:08 PM

SLS AMG
This was the single biggest issue I had when I got my SLS. For what they charge to get this upgrade, I was expecting a HECK OF A LOT MORE... However, my sales rep was quick to point out that if I bought the car to listen to music, "by an S-CLASS" - the engine is the music! hehehe... I have come to accept that the sound system is what it is, and live with it. As a side note, the XM radio makes it sound worse, try digital music on a USB or CD.

2011 Mercedes Benz SLS AMG
2013 Mercedes Benz C350
2014 BMW M5 LCI Competition Package
2010 Range Rover SuperCharged
Old 03-17-2014, 11:46 AM

SLS AMG
I am just waiting on them now to service another sls and I will come in to test how the system sounds on that car. Don't get why all the advisor are so clueless to sound system.