SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: The $50,000 Mercedes Benz SLS AMG option: B14 Carbon Fiber Engine Compartment Covers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2024, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 145 Posts
SLS AMG
The $50,000 Mercedes Benz SLS AMG option: B14 Carbon Fiber Engine Compartment Covers

Wow. After a long 10 year + search I finally (luckily!) aquired the B14 Carbon Fiber Engine Compartment Covers option. When I first bought a 2012 SLS AMG, I knew no one that owned the car. I knew of some of the cars options but, really only cared that it was a grey/silver color and it had to have a top that dropped! After all ..I lived in "sunny" Southern California!

Through this forum, 10+ years ago, I actually met another owner (You know who you are!) and we still talk all things SLS AMG to this day.

My car came with 9 options (no B14) so, it was very loaded up. It was a good 3-4 years after I got mine, that I saw an SLS with this B14 option. I thought it was cool but, at the end of the day, it was under the hood never to be seen again ..so who really cares about that..

Of course, the easiest way to get one of these is to just buy a car that has one! But..what fun would that be..too easy. I enjoyed "the hunt".

Now I'm sure the "$50,000" option title might have grabbed your attention (It's the YouTube / click bait world we live in..) however, is it that far from the truth? Watch what the last one availible through Mercedes cost in the video.

Fact: There are MANY SLS Black Series and Final Editions that were purchased/ordered without this option.

Back in '11-'15 a $5400.00 option that you couldn't see, really didn't make much sense to probably most buyers. However in todays world, where a Black Series didn't sell for almost a million dollars! Would you really take the chance on buyng one without this option!?! Really... First $1M Black Series

I have known of only three B14 sets that have exchanged hands privately in 10+ years. A full correct set of the mounting hardware is impossible to find and not availible from Mercedes.

I would like to thank @SandyEggo for paving the way with the only DIY install that I have ever seen. He was correct in saying it would be the least used DIY ever published here. However, I used it! Thank you Sir! Sandy Eggo DIY Engine Covers

I took it up a notch and created (with my 9 year old) a YouTube video on my install. I am not a YouTuber and certainly not a Mechanic! (You guys have mad skills and patience I don't!) So, don't flame me too bad on the video. Shout out to my kid that knew way more then me when editing videos and adding special effects / music. You did a great job!! It is worth the 6 minute watch.

Remember Son, I know one day you won't care about Dad's crappy old gas Mercedes but.... Don't sell this option with the car. Sell it separately when I am gone!! There will be a Black Series owner that will pay stupid bank for it down the road! GUARANTEED!!

Anyways... Here is the video. Enjoy!

Last edited by NewportSLS; 05-18-2024 at 12:55 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by NewportSLS:
1JDM911 (05-18-2024), Doctodd33 (05-28-2024), Rbcj50cal (05-20-2024)