SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: An expensive flop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Originally Posted by dharrar
Maxabo asks why I don't care for the 7-speed. I have always left the C-S-M switch in S mode on AMG cars owned and love the way the car shoots out in 1st gear with great performance. In my S63, however, I find that the initial start is somewhat "jerky" as is the shift from 1 to 2. When my wife is with me, I have to change to C, something I never did before. And, I have to agree with her, that the S setting does not provide smooth, seemless power. I complained to my dealer and they provided another S63 for me to test that was the same way. Last Sept, I rented an S63 from AMG while in Germany and it too started and shifted like mine. So, I've given up and accept it is what it is and therefore prefer the 5-speed.

On to driving the SLS. At Laguna Seca there were at least 10 of these for the AMG Driving Academy event last Nov. I drove most of them around the track and in sprints around cones in the parking lot. They also had other AMG cars such as the SLK that in former slalom events were fastest through the cones. Much to my surprise I was actually able to drive the SLS faster than the SLK! That being my 8th AMG driving event I've driven virtually every AMG car over those years at Pocono, Lime Rock and Laguan Seca. Hands down, the SLS outperforms them all. It is amazing through tight turns, forgiving and explosive. And it's 7-speed is incredible but, of course, it is the double clutch version and transaxel.

I was not sure I would order an SLS until driving it convinced me it was a "had to have" Mercedes. I don't care what others think about the looks, some disliking the overly long front/hood or thinking the rear is too American looking. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and for me it is one terrific looking, exciting and about as high performing vehicle as anyone could want or expect absent a Veyron.
+1

Drove the SLS at Pebble Beach Concours de Elegance. No comparision to any past AMGs. It is light years ahead with power and control with the MCT. MSRP is about $200K far less than the SL 65 BS and the SLR but with superior handing and performance. People might want to drive one before making harsh judgements. It may not be the best DD car but definitely a car for the serious MB driver.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
G63, SLS, CLK63 BS, 812GTS, 296GTB, 599GTB, 575M, 992GT3 Touring, Taycan Turbo S Cross Tourismo
You Guys have an Easy Decision at $200K.

It's $462,500-- USD for me to buy one in Australia!!

I am driving the car early October on the track and subject to me liking the car, the deal is done!! The hardest issue that I have is the colour, leather and wheels.

By the way - I have NEVER, EVER, heard anyone say that they don't like a 63 engine.

You would have to be a clown to even relay this information on such a forum!!

Last edited by Condor Man; 09-09-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
The SLS is a good ride... but i would prefer the SLR!

The SLS is more serious. He wants to be a Gentleman.

SLR looks angry and show his attitudes... i like it ;-)
Old 09-09-2010, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by m_berman
+1

Drove the SLS at Pebble Beach Concours de Elegance. No comparision to any past AMGs. It is light years ahead with power and control with the MCT. MSRP is about $200K far less than the SL 65 BS and the SLR but with superior handing and performance. People might want to drive one before making harsh judgements. It may not be the best DD car but definitely a car for the serious MB driver.
I thought the SLS had a rear-mounted transmission dual-clutch 7-speed (DCT) instead of the MCT? Am I wrong? I was hoping it came with the new DCT.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by 220S
I thought the SLS had a rear-mounted transmission dual-clutch 7-speed (DCT) instead of the MCT? Am I wrong? I was hoping it came with the new DCT.
You are right.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Zax63
The OP said he was 5'9" and 200 lbs. 5'9" 200 lbs=overweight, hence the reference to go buy a cts-v.
LOL...now I am insulted ....I am 5'8" 240lbs ....but here are my excuses:

I'm not fat...I'm just big boned...

I'm not fat, I just haven't grown into my body yet...

I'm not fat, I just got a sweet hockey body...

I'm so beefcake I can't fit through the door...

Screw you guys.....I'm goin' home....

Tom
Attached Thumbnails An expensive flop-south_park_weight_gain_4000.jpg  

Last edited by TMC M5; 09-10-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by Zax63
The OP said he was 5'9" and 200 lbs. 5'9" 200 lbs=overweight, hence the reference to go buy a cts-v.
Yeah, sure Troy Polomalu is overweight...

Gotta luv blanket statements, I'm 6'3"+ so am I a beanpole??

-Rob

Last edited by transferred; 09-11-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sound 8
Yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but your wrong on the prices.
My SL is pretty much fully loaded and was only 108K , a loaded 65 is only
going to be around 160k. It seems you and I are among a few who like the 63 engine.
SL is so back in the stone age now. had a 55 when it first came out & hated it. heavy, noise fuel pump. didn't last for a month & it was gone.

SLS is another story. while if it's worth what u saw (loaded with all options), but it's so ahead of the SL. a base SLS is about 187k in US. i would like to have B&O, ceramic. that would bump the price into the 200's. but i think at 187k it's a bargain.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E63S wagon
Another thing is nobody likes the 6.3 nat *** engine, in fact you could say if anything is a flop it's that. I have never seen a compliment about this engine.
Everyone goes on about the 55 and 65 engine, so why put this engine which
is basically disliked in the SLS. The V12TT may be heavy but it's got the grunt and everyone loves it.
The N/A 6.3 engine is widely regarded as one of the finest V8s ever produced from any manufacturer. Its exhaust note is addictive, and the power it produces is excellent. Try finding a more bulletproof V8 on the market, good luck. Add me to the list of peeps here who COMPLIMENT and love their 6.3 engine.

Keep smokin' that hooch, it's frying your brain and there's no going back now.

Last edited by VCA_AMG; 09-11-2010 at 03:54 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Originally Posted by mugatu22
The N/A 6.3 engine is widely regarded as one of the finest V8s ever produced from any manufacturer. Its exhaust note is addictive, and the power it produces is excellent. Try finding a more bulletproof V8 on the market, good luck. Add me to the list of peeps here who COMPLIMENT and love their 6.3 engine.

Keep smokin' that hooch, it's frying your brain and there's no going back now.
Do you guys ever read properly. Yes,yes,yes I agree, I love the 63 engine the
noise everything about this engine, in my thread I said most people seem
to diss like the 63 engine, but that's not me.

PAY ATTENTION PLEASE!
Old 09-11-2010, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by falco72
can someone who has driven the SLS comment on its performance. Steering feel, ride, cabin noise, braking etc. Thanks
I drove the SLS at road Atlanta last summer while attending the AMG Driving Academy basic course.

My first impressions are not far from the OPs. I did not find the SLS body styling to be terribly impressive. I do have a tendency to compare styling to the R230 which I believe to be one for the ages. The gullwing doors are cool, but I stood outside of the open door wondering how in the hell does one get into this thing. Calls of mind your head were uttered with frequency. I manage to slide my nearly six two frame under the low hanging door, over the lower side panel and into the seat. A wiggle or two of my rather ample backside and I am well planted and ready for lateral Gs. You see, I am rather “big boned” too. When I was a kid, my mom bought my jeans from the “husky” bin. The OP mentioned the word claustrophobia. In a word, YES at least at first. Other than the seat being a bit snug, I found it very easy to adjust the seat and steering wheel to find a very comfortable driving position.

At this point, I guess I am pretty much in agreement with the OPs observations, but then I started the beast. I know it is trite and I am too old to use such lines, but Oh My Gawd . The exhaust note is sweet. A blip of the throttle elicits a powerful growl followed by a grumble and burble as the revs drop off. I am starting to like this machine and its looks are growing on me too. The first driving experience was going to be incredible.

The SLS was positioned on the track at the top of a hill. The instructors wanted us to experience the highly capable traction control (ESP) and antilock braking (ABS) systems. The exercise consisted of mashing the throttle, racing down the hill under WOT until the front bumper was aligned with a cone and then crush the brake pedal and let the ABS go to work. The SLS pulled like a freight train with only a quick chirp of the tires thanks to ESP, but it did not kill the fun by limiting throttle too much. the 6.3 revs freely and the 7 speed DCT shifts are quick and crisp. Braking was simply phenomenal. The SLS went from about 100 to nothing in a snap.

In the afternoon, we got to run laps with the SLS and I began to fall in love. It is fast, balanced, can corner well and braking is awesome. It gave a novice such as me the confidence to go fast (at least for me) and was well mannered enough to allow me to make mistakes without getting in trouble providing ESP was left on. Did I mention the intoxicating exhaust note? OMG… The growl while accelerating and the burble of the rev matched down shift is a pure symphony of V8 muscle. My impression is the SLS is very much at home on the track and has all the comfort necessary for it to a highly competent grand touring car. This car is far from being a flop.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by dharrar
How can anyone degrade a car solely from it's looks? At least drive it first! I traveled to Frankfurt from Phila last Sept to see the intro of the SLS at the auto show and was "wowed" by it's looks. Then I went to Laguan Seca last Nov and drove at least 6 of them at the track. That was my 8th AMG driving event including a McLaren SLR one in Miami. Without question, the SLS is the finest car I've ever driven, including a Ferrari Daytona years ago, and the experience made me decide to place my order. The SLS was hands down the best handling AMG compared to virtually every other model at the track events.

I also own an '08 S63 and find nothing wrong with the engine although I don't like the 7-speed trans as compared to the former 5-speed that was in my S55 and also in my G55 and SL55. Speaking of the SL, it is an '03 with only 16,500 miles and has the Renntech 540hp upgrade. I am about to place for sale in the low 40's if anyone is interested. Every option including Distronic that I have come to love. 0-60 clocked in 4.15 sec.

My SLS is in production now in Imola Grey with the special tan interior. Should arrive here late Oct or early Nov. Dream about it most nights...
You may want to buy a cot so you can sleep next to your SLS once it is sitting in your garage. I would if I was lucky enough to own one. Good on you mate, you are going to love it.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
G63, SLS, CLK63 BS, 812GTS, 296GTB, 599GTB, 575M, 992GT3 Touring, Taycan Turbo S Cross Tourismo
Do you guys ever read properly. Yes,yes,yes I agree, I love the 63 engine the
noise everything about this engine, in my thread I said most people seem
to diss like the 63 engine, but that's not me.

PAY ATTENTION PLEASE!
By the way......

Can you please define most people??
Old 09-12-2010, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
weird thread. The OP calls the SLS a flop, he reasons its a flop due to the 6.3 N/A engine then says to " pay attention"?

I am lost, seems now the OP loves the 6.3 but it is everyone else who hates it, hahahahaha
Old 09-13-2010, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E63S wagon
Originally Posted by juicee63
weird thread. The OP calls the SLS a flop, he reasons its a flop due to the 6.3 N/A engine then says to " pay attention"?

I am lost, seems now the OP loves the 6.3 but it is everyone else who hates it, hahahahaha
+1
Old 09-13-2010, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E63S wagon
Do you guys ever read properly. Yes,yes,yes I agree, I love the 63 engine the noise everything about this engine, in my thread I said most people seem to diss like the 63 engine, but that's not me.

PAY ATTENTION PLEASE!
Another thing is nobody likes the 6.3 nat *** engine, in fact you could say if anything is a flop it's that. I have never seen a compliment about this engine. Everyone goes on about the 55 and 65 engine, so why put this engine which
is basically disliked in the SLS.
Maybe it's you who should read properly & pay attention...?
Old 09-13-2010, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Can this thread just go away? It is not delivering, and very confusing.

Side Note:

The SLS is an awesome car, I don't like the body-style all that great, so-so, but that may change when I see it in person. That is just my opinion right now.

However, the SLS is a solid engineering, design, and performance feat. This site is very informative and interactive, amazing what was put into it from the guys at Affalterbach.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by juicee63

I think your all thick! from the start the main reason I didn't like the SLS were
for it's looks, then I said I am amazed they put the 63 nat *** engine in, where most members prefer the supercharged or turbo engines.
In short,
I love the 63 engine, but most members don't seem to, I still am not fond of the shape, but the original thread ( an expensive flop) was the fact that
this car ( with only gulwing doors ) as special could cost £192000.
Is that now clear.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sls, e63
whatever the merits of the car, you should get your facts straight: the sls costs $190ish, NOT pounds!
Old 09-13-2010, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by russjr
whatever the merits of the car, you should get your facts straight: the sls costs $190ish, NOT pounds!
Again please get your facts right, there is a thing called exchange rates,
us pounds you dollars, 192000 British pounds equals 288000 us dollars.
I don't know what the SLS costs in the States but usually US prices are
similar so either we pay to much, or you pay to little, either way it's still

Old 09-13-2010, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Again please get your facts right, there is a thing called exchange rates,
us pounds you dollars, 192000 British pounds equals 288000 us dollars.
I don't know what the SLS costs in the States but usually US prices are
similar so either we pay to much, or you pay to little, either way it's still

I'm thinking the dealer here in Indianapolis told me MSRP for a standard SLS is 188,000 USD so 192000ish sounds about right. Of course they are selling for a premium over MSRP. Not sure why they are so much more in the UK. Could be it costs more to put the steering wheel on the passenger side.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
I think your all thick! from the start the main reason I didn't like the SLS were
for it's looks, then I said I am amazed they put the 63 nat *** engine in, where most members prefer the supercharged or turbo engines.
In short,
I love the 63 engine, but most members don't seem to, I still am not fond of the shape, but the original thread ( an expensive flop) was the fact that
this car ( with only gulwing doors ) as special could cost £192000.
Is that now clear.
This is a much better bang for the buck than the trice the cost SLR....
Old 10-05-2010, 01:51 PM

06 cls 500 98 tahoe 93 buick
Originally Posted by m_berman
AMGs are $100k +; another couple of dollars and you have an SLS. They are really underpriced for what you get.

If you are not banking at least $20k/mo, you are not in this league.
owning this is out the question for me, but still a sweet car.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Originally Posted by GMW
Hold your horses and speak for yourself. I love my 63, so you really can't say nobody likes the 6.3. . I find it quite full of character and bloody fast with the best sound track I've ever heard, short of the SLS. If the SLS is a finer more rawer car from this then I'm all for it. I saw the launch at Frankfurt and saw a few at AMG and liked the looks a lot.
+1 (especially about the sound track part)

MBZ had C63s, E63s, and SL63s available for test drives at the Coronado Speed Festival this year. The sound of the 63 motor from outside (and from the inside of the SL 63 with the top down) was just amazing. Really a kick-*** baritone sound.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Vomit
+1 (especially about the sound track part)

MBZ had C63s, E63s, and SL63s available for test drives at the Coronado Speed Festival this year. The sound of the 63 motor from outside (and from the inside of the SL 63 with the top down) was just amazing. Really a kick-*** baritone sound.
If they had an award for sound this SLS and the 63 in general would likely be at the very top.

In the SLS you get the performance (output) and the sound!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLS/R197/C197 AMG: An expensive flop