SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: Changing the Transmission Programming on a 2011/2012 to a 2013

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Changing the Transmission Programming on a 2011/2012 to a 2013

Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the transmission programming on the SLS AMG to the SLS AMG GT programming?

Have there been any campaigns to do that on the 2011's and 2012's?

Can the dealer do it?

Thanks.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by nlpamg
Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the transmission programming on the SLS AMG to the SLS AMG GT programming?

Have there been any campaigns to do that on the 2011's and 2012's?

Can the dealer do it?

Thanks.
There is an entire thread over on Private Lounge. From what I understand they will do it at the dealer for free.

Here is a link to thread and how to get it done. Let me know if you have any issues, some guys were getting crap from their stealerships wanting to charge them or saying it could not be done.

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/privatel...are-Resolution
Old 02-12-2014, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jrcart
There is an entire thread over on Private Lounge. From what I understand they will do it at the dealer for free.

Here is a link to thread and how to get it done. Let me know if you have any issues, some guys were getting crap from their stealerships wanting to charge them or saying it could not be done.

Awesome, thanks so much!
Old 02-12-2014, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Awesome, thanks so much!
Did you pick up an SLS?
Old 02-13-2014, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
I am one of the few who started the campaining for this upgrade over on the Private Lounge and they finally did approve this upgrade for free at the dealership and I can say from experience that it is one notable difference, it was mind blowing for me the difference of feel and performance. Let us know how you have made out, if you follow that thread that Jim posted, it even mentions the TSB numbers to help out. Good luck!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Did you pick up an SLS?
Not yet. You know how I was looking at pre-owned C63 AMG Black Series, the ones on the market really didn't appeal to me much, nor did the dealers who were selling them. So, I decided to stop being cheap and to pony up a few more bucks and get an SLS.

I've made offers on a couple 2011's and 2012's. I test drove a new 2012 a couple years ago and loved it, but I made the mistake of test driving a 2014 SLS Black Series last Saturday and felt a noticeable difference in the transmission programming as well as the power (car felt faster from a roll than my Alpha 6+ GT-R). I went to go look at a pre-owned 2011 on the dealer's lot and ended up test driving the Black Series

So, it made me rethink my decision on the 2011's and 2012's and perhaps pony up some more money to get a 2013. But, with this, there would be no substantial difference (aside from the minor cosmetic things and warranty).

I plan on keeping the car for quite a long time since it is destined to be a classic, so I want to make sure I get the right one with the options I want (B&O is a must, CF is high on the list and if I can, ceramic brakes), low miles and have some part of the factory warranty remaining.

Originally Posted by 1st amg
I am one of the few who started the campaining for this upgrade over on the Private Lounge and they finally did approve this upgrade for free at the dealership and I can say from experience that it is one notable difference, it was mind blowing for me the difference of feel and performance. Let us know how you have made out, if you follow that thread that Jim posted, it even mentions the TSB numbers to help out. Good luck!
Awesome, thank you! I plan on getting an SLS by summer. I've had a bunch of other cars, but no AMG's, and will be taking delivery of my first AMG in Germany in late April (CLA45 AMG). So, I'll join you guys in the lounge by then or maybe even earlier with the SLS

Last edited by nlpamg; 02-13-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

I've had a bunch of other cars, but no AMG's, and will be taking delivery of my first AMG in Germany in late April (CLA45 AMG). So, I'll join you guys in the lounge by then or maybe even earlier with the SLS
I take that back. My dealer JUST emailed me the vin no. for the CLA45. I tried registering on PL, but had to send them an email as the car was built yesterday.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not yet. You know how I was looking at pre-owned C63 AMG Black Series, the ones on the market really didn't appeal to me much, nor did the dealers who were selling them. So, I decided to stop being cheap and to pony up a few more bucks and get an SLS.

I've made offers on a couple 2011's and 2012's. I test drove a new 2012 a couple years ago and loved it, but I made the mistake of test driving a 2014 SLS Black Series last Saturday and felt a noticeable difference in the transmission programming as well as the power (car felt faster from a roll than my Alpha 6+ GT-R). I went to go look at a pre-owned 2011 on the dealer's lot and ended up test driving the Black Series

So, it made me rethink my decision on the 2011's and 2012's and perhaps pony up some more money to get a 2013. But, with this, there would be no substantial difference (aside from the minor cosmetic things and warranty).

I plan on keeping the car for quite a long time since it is destined to be a classic, so I want to make sure I get the right one with the options I want (B&O is a must, CF is high on the list and if I can, ceramic brakes), low miles and have some part of the factory warranty remaining.

Awesome, thank you! I plan on getting an SLS by summer. I've had a bunch of other cars, but no AMG's, and will be taking delivery of my first AMG in Germany in late April (CLA45 AMG). So, I'll join you guys in the lounge by then or maybe even earlier with the SLS
You can't go wrong with any of the cars you are looking or test driven they are all amazing machines. My suggestion would be to find a 2013 SLS GT to drive, I think that would be the closest comparison to a 2011-2012 with the trans upgrade. Using the BS for a comparison might leave you a little let down, keep in mind the BS makes more power, torque and weighs in ligter than a standard SLS or GT. Too bad about the dealers you were dealing with on the C BS. The C BS is also an amazing car especially with the track and aero package, personally I would take a C BS with aero package before an SLS or SLS GT. Having driven both of them on track at the AMG driving Academy and having tracked my own C BS I would give the edge to the C BS for all out track fun. What the SLS offeres over the C BS is true exotic supercar curb appeal, C BS's are head turners but an SLS can be a show stopper. Both cars should fair very well on resale values.

Good luck with your purchase whichever route you take.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I take that back. My dealer JUST emailed me the vin no. for the CLA45. I tried registering on PL, but had to send them an email as the car was built yesterday.
PM me, I would be happy to give you my login info on PL so you can read that thread.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

You can't go wrong with any of the cars you are looking or test driven they are all amazing machines. My suggestion would be to find a 2013 SLS GT to drive, I think that would be the closest comparison to a 2011-2012 with the trans upgrade. Using the BS for a comparison might leave you a little let down, keep in mind the BS makes more power, torque and weighs in ligter than a standard SLS or GT. Too bad about the dealers you were dealing with on the C BS. The C BS is also an amazing car especially with the track and aero package, personally I would take a C BS with aero package before an SLS or SLS GT. Having driven both of them on track at the AMG driving Academy and having tracked my own C BS I would give the edge to the C BS for all out track fun. What the SLS offeres over the C BS is true exotic supercar curb appeal, C BS's are head turners but an SLS can be a show stopper. Both cars should fair very well on resale values.

Good luck with your purchase whichever route you take.
Jim,

Thank you for all your help.

I was able to see the post on the PL and it's funny b/c I had met Will Vetter at Pebble Beach last year and I was emailing him about it. I didn't know that he was the one that posted about the software fix! (Also, since my CLA45 has been built and I received my VIN, I finally have an account on the PL. )

I test drove a 2013 SLS AMG GT this weekend and was a bit underwhelmed by the acceleration. But, the rest of the car was fantastic. I guess I'll just have to get a tune and some drop-in filters to help give the car a bit more power.

In the meantime, I will continue to keep looking and I'll let you guys know what I end up with. I want to find the right car as I plan on keeping it for quite a long time, so I'm in no particular rush.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jim,

Thank you for all your help.

I was able to see the post on the PL and it's funny b/c I had met Will Vetter at Pebble Beach last year and I was emailing him about it. I didn't know that he was the one that posted about the software fix! (Also, since my CLA45 has been built and I received my VIN, I finally have an account on the PL. )

I test drove a 2013 SLS AMG GT this weekend and was a bit underwhelmed by the acceleration. But, the rest of the car was fantastic. I guess I'll just have to get a tune and some drop-in filters to help give the car a bit more power.

In the meantime, I will continue to keep looking and I'll let you guys know what I end up with. I want to find the right car as I plan on keeping it for quite a long time, so I'm in no particular rush.
PL is all frigged up right now if you had not noticed, they "upgraded" their system a few weeks ago and it has been a mess ever since and traffic has slowed. Very helpful over there usually since AMG and MB employees actually monitor/moderate and participate. No grey areas or speculating, you get to hear it straight from the horses mouth. The fact that it is private keeps the trolls out as well.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLS
I'm going to contact my MB dealer tomorrow morning ...
Hopefully they will update the transmission program in my 2011.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:51 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
Weistec
We can perform this recalibration for those of you that are interested. We have done many of them and we can convert any SLS to the speed shift SLS Black Series. PM or email us and we would be happy to assist! Thanks!

Weistec Engineering
Old 03-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Weistec
We can perform this recalibration for those of you that are interested. We have done many of them and we can convert any SLS to the speed shift SLS Black Series. PM or email us and we would be happy to assist! Thanks!

Weistec Engineering
Nice! Good to know. What is the difference between the speed shift on the SLS AMG GT and the Black Series? Thanks.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:41 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Weistec
Nice! Good to know. What is the difference between the speed shift on the SLS AMG GT and the Black Series? Thanks.
The SLS Black Series calibration is capable of more features. It is also a slightly faster shift and a quicker response from the paddle to the actual shift. Thanks!

Weistec Engineering
Old 03-13-2014, 08:38 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
What is involved,ECU or TCU?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Weistec

Weistec Engineering
Where did you guys get your hands on that software

This is great news, several guys on PL were asking if this could be accomplished, I will spread the word over there and let them know.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:21 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Weistec
We would need both the ECU and TCU to perform this modification. Luckily on the SLS, the TCU isn't inside the transmission so it is very clean and easy to remove. Please let us know how we can assist with this. It is a very nice modification for any SLS (except of course the Black Series itself). Thanks!

Weistec Engineering
Old 04-03-2014, 02:32 PM

SLS
Just got off the phone with my local dealer and they say that there is no software update available for my 2011 SLS.
I asked them to run the vin and they told me there is no software update.

This topic interests me because I recently was stuck for approx an hour after a 56 mile road trip which I drove it pretty hard.
Long story short when I was returning to Los Angeles I got back in the car and it would not go into gear and gave me a visit workshop message.

After about an hour I started my SLS and it finally went into gear but there was a engine light.

I took it into my dealer and they told me it was due to a bad battery which they replaced under warranty.

So not sure what I should do now ...

Originally Posted by 1st amg
Old 04-03-2014, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BLACKMARKT
Just got off the phone with my local dealer and they say that there is no software update available for my 2011 SLS.
I asked them to run the vin and they told me there is no software update.

This topic interests me because I recently was stuck for approx an hour after a 56 mile road trip which I drove it pretty hard.
Long story short when I was returning to Los Angeles I got back in the car and it would not go into gear and gave me a visit workshop message.

After about an hour I started my SLS and it finally went into gear but there was a engine light.

I took it into my dealer and they told me it was due to a bad battery which they replaced under warranty.

So not sure what I should do now ...
There is an update. Dealers are idiots. Just call Weistec and have them flash the SLS Black Series trans program in your car. I drove a standard SLS on the track at the AMG driving academy and I can tell you the trans programming is night and day different between that car and my Black Series.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:04 PM

SLS
Appreciate the info ...
A few people have told me they can flash the transmission software but as dumb as it sounds it would give me a warmer fuzzier feeling if it was done thru a MBZ dealer. Lol

Does anyone know a MB dealer in the LA area that will flash the trans software?

There is an update. Dealers are idiots. Just call Weistec and have them flash the SLS Black Series trans program in your car. I drove a standard SLS on the track at the AMG driving academy and I can tell you the trans programming is night and day different between that car and my Black Series.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BLACKMARKT
Appreciate the info ...
A few people have told me they can flash the transmission software but as dumb as it sounds it would give me a warmer fuzzier feeling if it was done thru a MBZ dealer. Lol

Does anyone know a MB dealer in the LA area that will flash the trans software?
Log onto the AMG Private Lounge and go to this link for info on the transmission upgrade. If you have issues with a dealer post in the thread and an AMG/MB rep will get involved. That site is run and monitored by AMG

The follow quote was taken directly from a post of William Vetter who is head of AMG and Black Series vehicles for MBUSA

"Here are the details which should be all of the info that you (and the dealer) need:

TIPS Document: LI27.60-P-051188
Coverage: 197.377 & 197.477
Subject: - Procedure in case of complaints regarding shift quality and start-off behavior -

The procedure will:
- have the technician document your complaint (shift quality, etc)...
- they will download some packets of data from the transmission controller...
- they will then see if there is newer DCT software applicable to your vehicle (keep in mind that your vehicle might be already at the most optimized software)...
- if there is new software, it will be loaded into vehicle and configured (via SCN Coding)
- procedure is then complete

Note: this notification is applicable to the USA market, customers in other markets should refer to their local dealer to determine applicability"

You will need your vehicle VIN number to create an account on the Private Lounge...keeps out the trolls lol.

Last edited by jrcart; 04-04-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Weistec
If you want to check out our Facebook and Instagram, you can see an SLS in action! It is quite a great representation of what the SLS can be after our calibration is done!

https://www.facebook.com/Weistec

Weistec Engineering
Old 04-15-2014, 12:47 AM

SLS
Appreciate the information.
Tried logging in however I'm the 2nd owner of my SLS and the 1st owner apparently already logged in my VIN so I can get to the link.

Log onto the AMG Private Lounge and go to this link for info on the transmission upgrade. If you have issues with a dealer post in the thread and an AMG/MB rep will get involved. That site is run and monitored by AMG

The follow quote was taken directly from a post of William Vetter who is head of AMG and Black Series vehicles for MBUSA

"Here are the details which should be all of the info that you (and the dealer) need:

TIPS Document: LI27.60-P-051188
Coverage: 197.377 & 197.477
Subject: - Procedure in case of complaints regarding shift quality and start-off behavior -

The procedure will:
- have the technician document your complaint (shift quality, etc)...
- they will download some packets of data from the transmission controller...
- they will then see if there is newer DCT software applicable to your vehicle (keep in mind that your vehicle might be already at the most optimized software)...
- if there is new software, it will be loaded into vehicle and configured (via SCN Coding)
- procedure is then complete

Note: this notification is applicable to the USA market, customers in other markets should refer to their local dealer to determine applicability"

You will need your vehicle VIN number to create an account on the Private Lounge...keeps out the trolls lol.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
G63, SLS AMG, Shelby GT350
My dealer said the TIPS Document: LI27.60-P-051188 does not apply to my 2012 sls. Does this not apply to some cars or are they just giving me the runaround?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLS/R197/C197 AMG: Changing the Transmission Programming on a 2011/2012 to a 2013