Smart Car Discussion on the Smart Car.

Any safety concerns with the smart car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 07:02 PM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Any safety concerns with the smart car

I was thinking of picking one up for my wife for our anniversary, but she's always had a concern about how safe it is to be in a car of its size. Any comments from current owners appreciated.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63
they have a very good crash rating, but the waiting list will kill you.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:41 AM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I did see the top rating on the crash tests...I guess our concern is more about the size of the car, and how it would hold up. I think for us, it's more psychological than anything.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I have seen some crash tests where they have run the Smart head on into an S class, and the Smart wiped out the front of the S. It was pretty impressive.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
This is funny for me, because I lived and grow up in germany and had a smart for 3 years, back in 1999.

I can tell you the smart has 5 star crash rating and is safer than alot of bigger " american " cars...
it has underneath cell,so in a front crash,the whole front goes underneath the car,due to the cell the way it was built.

I just still have to get over the fact,a car I used to drive almost 10 years ago,has just now in 2008 arreived here in the U.S.

I acttually give reports and data about the smart at our local Mercedes Dealer,since alot of the salesman have no inside knowledge about the smart.

So anymore questions or concerns I can answer them...

In germany and throughout europe the smart is very very common, and considered a normal car. For american standarts,its too small.
Europeans shop less,have less groceries,drive less etc..

So I assume anyone here in the US having this smart,is using it a 2nd vehicle...or has it just because its "new" here.
To me,this is one old car lol

I still remember showing pictures to my buddies 5-6 years ago what I drove in germany and they were asking me what kinda car it is and if its safe...lol