Smart Car Discussion on the Smart Car.

Europe vs USA Charging Confusion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smart EQ fortwo
Europe vs USA Charging Confusion

I have just purchased a 2019 Smart ForTwo EQ here in the USA. It came with a Type 1 charge adapter, and have been plugging it into a 110V in the garage. Takes 10-12 hours to 100%. I read online that these 2019s come with a 22kW charger built in but apparently ship with the puny Type 1 cable. Doesn’t that mean I would need the Type 2 port on the car to charge faster - as well as a Type 2 charging cable? Can the port be upgraded to accept Type 2 plugs? I am so confused.
Old 08-02-2022, 12:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Smart Fortwo EQ
So I have the same thing (1~2Amp 120V plug in) and I just had to purchase a Level 2 charger from Amazon at a cost of $500 and then an adapter from the LvL2 charger to the 240V Dryer outlet at a cost of about $25 and that charged up my EQ in about 2.5 to 3hrs at a charging rate of 7.2KWh & 30Amps. I did this because it is portable and I was able to charge at work on a 240 connection. You may want to look into installing just a plug in your garage and then buying an aftermarket charger or see how much it would cost to get a permanent charging station in your home. To answer your question almost all cables out there are standardized to the country... here is a link to show you what I mean : https://evcharging.enelx.com/resourc...onnector-types
The level's are different only in the amount of Kilowatts and Amperage.

Last edited by SmartEQ; 08-10-2022 at 09:34 AM.