Suggestions & Feedback Use this forum to post and discuss suggestions for both the MBworld.org Disucussion Forums and the the MBworld.org Website.

Closed Threads...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Closed Threads...

CLOSED THREADS...

In a way, closing the threads leads to more threads being opened or others explored in a way that wasn't intended.

The best reading is the exciting reading when one is bored. (for me, of course) The thread where Clayj deletes his post b/c of the threat of being found out, in some manner, is good for business here at MBWORLD! How many people joined and conversed and got action going here once the NOTKTS ordeal was going on? It is good for business. I think that justice is trying to be served through passionate members here and the action gets "locked" every time.

Someone has a mission here and I would like to know what "IT" is without a thread getting locked each time. It is quite obvious that Clayj stirs the pot with all of the claims he makes in his posts, and once contested, on those claims, he abruptly asks or sees to it that the appropriate person has heard from him and the thread is immediately locked. I say that is unfair to the other members of the forum. We are in no way any less impt. or more impt. than this guy and should not have threads closed in front of us that we are trying to enjoy and that might bring some closure to the scene.

Mods: please review what I am trying to get across and stand back a little and see what happens. I think idea is good for the well-being of this forum that strives to thrive, but you all wont let it grow naturally through natural interaction.

Best wishes to everyone involved!

-Blume.

oh, btw, i dont think that name-calling is good for anything and should not be tolerated at any level; in the interest of civility!
Old 02-28-2006, 03:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bantha
Originally Posted by blume
CLOSED THREADS...

In a way, closing the threads leads to more threads being opened or others explored in a way that wasn't intended.

The best reading is the exciting reading when one is bored. (for me, of course) The thread where Clayj deletes his post b/c of the threat of being found out, in some manner, is good for business here at MBWORLD! How many people joined and conversed and got action going here once the NOTKTS ordeal was going on? It is good for business. I think that justice is trying to be served through passionate members here and the action gets "locked" every time.

Someone has a mission here and I would like to know what "IT" is without a thread getting locked each time. It is quite obvious that Clayj stirs the pot with all of the claims he makes in his posts, and once contested, on those claims, he abruptly asks or sees to it that the appropriate person has heard from him and the thread is immediately locked. I say that is unfair to the other members of the forum. We are in no way any less impt. or more impt. than this guy and should not have threads closed in front of us that we are trying to enjoy and that might bring some closure to the scene.

Mods: please review what I am trying to get across and stand back a little and see what happens. I think idea is good for the well-being of this forum that strives to thrive, but you all wont let it grow naturally through natural interaction.

-Blume.
Moderators, by nature, cannot be rational. Thats why only a select few are chosen.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 C230 K
this seems to bring up a point that Ive been studying in my linguistics classes in how there is always a possibility of failure in language that has to deal with intention. What we intend to say or the actions that we are intent on having upon saying what we say, will not necessarily govern the outcome. Meaning if we say something on this forum there is an inherent gap between communicating since things can me misinterpreted. That gap is what causes several failures to arise and we often are faced with hostile situations.

Distance, delay, ambiguity, and absence are the fundamentals of language. WE should all remember not to take to heart what is really expressed here on the forums because we never really know what the writer is saying no matter how much we think we do. Please keep in mind this before you choose to act against a member.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I understand what you are saying, evil. Maybe the mods should understand and not only listen to the complaints. (If that is what they are doing)

My point is that there should not be that many closed threads because there are not that many reason to close them. Names and threats are not a reason to close a thread; they are a reason to reprimand the one that does so. Keep all threads alive!
Old 02-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
CLOSED THREADS...

oh, btw, i dont think that name-calling is good for anything and should not be tolerated at any level; in the interest of civility!
I think the moderators have been very tolerant with threads where the issue of member honesty has been discussed. However, we will not allow a thread to continue for the sole purpose of harassing another member, whether they deserve it or not, and no matter how entertaining it may be to others. When the posting starts to get out of hand, as it has in many of these threads, they get closed.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
CLOSED THREADS...

-Blume.

Very well said. That NOTKTS thread generated a lot of interest and hits to this website. More so than many other threads posted at the same time.

I too, think that the best reading is interesting/exciting reading and that's why I visit here during the day.

The subject's feedback/opinions are not greater or lessor than the rest of ours (actually, how about Majority Rules?) but it seems like the threads get shut down to far in advance these days.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 C230 K
I understand what you are saying, evil. Maybe the mods should understand and not only listen to the complaints. (If that is what they are doing)

My point is that there should not be that many closed threads because there are not that many reason to close them. Names and threats are not a reason to close a thread; they are a reason to reprimand the one that does so. Keep all threads alive!

oh no i totally agree with you. Im not one to limit speech or writing, it would be hypocritical of me. I just think we should all be a little bit more mature about it, although If you have been directly attacked or insulted by that person I can understand someone flying off the handle but not everyone has the right to join in that.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Rev

Closing threads about ClayJ is a tough one, I can see your point. On one hand I can understand the mods not wanting us all going on witch hunts and creating threads that are only there to call out a member, but on the other hand, ClayJ promised to put this to sleep a while back and asked Lexani personally not to continue to harp on him since he was going to provide evidence inside of one week... this evidence never came, so this will fuel more speculation. We are after all people, and this is the nature of the human beast.

For the record, I want ClayJ to be real, and I think he is an articulate and well educated person from what I can see from his posts,. but too much doesn't add up, and the lack of any serious evidence of his fleet of cars is prime in this lack of evidence.

For the betterment of the forum, and to put this to sleep, Clay needs to provide some info (maybe in private to the mods) if he's really worried about security.

But closing the threads is just a band aid.. we need surgery.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by CE750
Did someone call a Doctor?
Old 02-28-2006, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SoCalCLK
Did someone call a Doctor?
Yes Doctor, I think we need a Aortic dissection, followed by a Cardiac catheterization and a renal tubular dysfunction and an MRI, ASAP...

There, now didn't that sound like an episode of ER?
Old 03-01-2006, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 AMG C63s
Yes Doctor, I think we need a Aortic dissection, followed by a Cardiac catheterization and a renal tubular dysfunction and an MRI, ASAP...

There, now didn't that sound like an episode of ER?
i got the mri covered.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
I'm against closing threads

But I am FOR banning members. If people continually abuse the forum then ban them. Actually I think the moderators have been too lenient.

To be honest, some of the posts were funny but the level of animosity that I've seen on this forum has escalated to a ridiculous level.

Who gives about who has what or blah blah blah. As long as the comments that these people give is informative and helpful, I honestly don't care. If a car lover uses this forum to educate us with good information does it really matter?

On the other hand members, that antagonize people, just make people not want to post on this forum. IMHO these are the members that should be punished.

If I say I live in a 10 mil house ... what do you want proof? You think I'm going to give you the address to do a google look up? WTH is wrong with you people.

Members here will post information ... some of it true some not. Most if the untrue information most likely is not passed on purposely. When you read the posts take them with a grain of salt.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Rev

Closing threads about ClayJ is a tough one, I can see your point. On one hand I can understand the mods not wanting us all going on witch hunts and creating threads that are only there to call out a member, but on the other hand, ClayJ promised to put this to sleep a while back and asked Lexani personally not to continue to harp on him since he was going to provide evidence inside of one week... this evidence never came, so this will fuel more speculation. We are after all people, and this is the nature of the human beast.

For the record, I want ClayJ to be real, and I think he is an articulate and well educated person from what I can see from his posts,. but too much doesn't add up, and the lack of any serious evidence of his fleet of cars is prime in this lack of evidence.

For the betterment of the forum, and to put this to sleep, Clay needs to provide some info (maybe in private to the mods) if he's really worried about security.

I do not disagree with you. However, the administration and the moderators are powerless in forcing any member to post information that he or she does not want to. Unless this person if violating our terms, they have the same rights as anyone else to continue to participate in our forums. As I have said before, unless this person is lying in a way that can hurt somebody (not talking about hurt feelings), or is trying to rip someone off, there is not much we can do. We are not the "honesty police" nor do we want to be.

Let me explain why these threads get closed: When these threads get going, we end up with people posting comments without thinking first. We have had quite a few members suspended from the forums for participating in these kinds of threads, and violating our terms with their comments. We value all of our members here, and wish none of them to be suspended or permanatly banned from the forum. Therefore, we try to close these threads before they get out of hand.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by revstriker
I do not disagree with you. However, the administration and the moderators are powerless in forcing any member to post information that he or she does not want to. Unless this person if violating our terms, they have the same rights as anyone else to continue to participate in our forums. As I have said before, unless this person is lying in a way that can hurt somebody (not talking about hurt feelings), or is trying to rip someone off, there is not much we can do. We are not the "honesty police" nor do we want to be.

Let me explain why these threads get closed: When these threads get going, we end up with people posting comments without thinking first. We have had quite a few members suspended from the forums for participating in these kinds of threads, and violating our terms with their comments. We value all of our members here, and wish none of them to be suspended or permanatly banned from the forum. Therefore, we try to close these threads before they get out of hand.
Can't argue with any of that... but it is frustrating.

btw.. congrats on the 2006 E350, a great car.. I got one for my mom, and I drive it all the time when I visit her in Northern California... Smooth as silk. Did you post some pics on the W211 forum?
Old 03-01-2006, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

threads lately have not gotten out of hand, so to say. (i've seen one) some of them are headed that direction, but never get there because of the assumptions by those in power or by being convinced by other members of the forum that are somehow offended. i think this forum should be treated like real-life to a degree, not kindergarden. this forum is not a shelter of anyone, it is an open discussion with too much government. (only mho, of course.)
Old 03-01-2006, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
What about the fact that a certain member was asked by the administrator to stop his boasting because he or she is creating a stirr within this forum and that member is disregarding that admins request ?

What if the members that are in a verbal argument over a certain topic are fuel to someone's personal enjoyment?

I think you can voice your opinion and knowledge without hinting of great wealth.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:50 AM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by Jesseliu
But I am FOR banning members. If people continually abuse the forum then ban them. Actually I think the moderators have been too lenient.

To be honest, some of the posts were funny but the level of animosity that I've seen on this forum has escalated to a ridiculous level.

Who gives about who has what or blah blah blah. As long as the comments that these people give is informative and helpful, I honestly don't care. If a car lover uses this forum to educate us with good information does it really matter?

On the other hand members, that antagonize people, just make people not want to post on this forum. IMHO these are the members that should be punished.

If I say I live in a 10 mil house ... what do you want proof? You think I'm going to give you the address to do a google look up? WTH is wrong with you people.

Members here will post information ... some of it true some not. Most if the untrue information most likely is not passed on purposely. When you read the posts take them with a grain of salt.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally Posted by RobertG
What about the fact that a certain member was asked by the administrator to stop his boasting because he or she is creating a stirr within this forum and that member is disregarding that admins request ?
I am not aware that anyone has been asked NOT to post specific information, or make a specific claim, unless it was deemed insulting. Again, we are not the honesty police, as we do not have the ability, or the time to verify every claim that is made on MBWORLD.

What if the members that are in a verbal argument over a certain topic are fuel to someone's personal enjoyment?
I'm not sure what you mean, but such mean spirited comments and insults do add "fuel to the fire". Violating our Terms of Use is not allowed, even if there are other members who enjoy it. If we feel a thread is headed in this direction, we will close it.

I think you can voice your opinion and knowledge without hinting of great wealth.
I agree, but this is really irrelevant. If someone want to talk about having great wealth, even if it is a lie, then there is nothing against our TOU on this. However, any personal attacks against this member would be a violation.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Can't argue with any of that... but it is frustrating.
What's even more frustrating for me is having to constantly monitor certain threads and certain members because they are riding the line of acceptance, or they are constantly challenging the rules. I've had private conversations with a lot of these members, and for the most part, they understand and agree to tone it down. But it is still a constant challenge and a frustration from a moderator point of view. Much more frustrating then whether or not a certain member is lying or telling the truth about something that has no effect on me.

btw.. congrats on the 2006 E350, a great car.. I got one for my mom, and I drive it all the time when I visit her in Northern California... Smooth as silk. Did you post some pics on the W211 forum?
Great car so far. Haven't posted any pics yet, although it has been Zainoed and looks good.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Super Moderator

Vehicle I drive: MB E350
Posts: 8,816 Seriously Clay, you need to get over yourself.

If you don't like being challenged on your claimed wealth or your claimed posessions, why do you keep bragging on and on and on...... about it?

As I said earlier, I just don't care if you have a dollar, or a few billion of them. But it seems awful important to you that EVERYBODY here knows. Suspicious??

I think it was you that said that.

what I meant about members fighting verbaly is that the person that started this mess is enjoying the show.

I gained a lot of information from this forum and enjoy great photos but when people are purposelly throwing their wealth in your face that is just wrong and naturally you begin to ask questions is this person real or is he really that rich or why does he scream for attention yet requires anonymity.

Some members got too worked up over this issue and got reprimanded , Clay should also feel the sting from this too.
It's like showing a cat to bunch of dogs and when the dogs get roudy and start barking you smack the dogs instead of taking the cat away.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

good reply RobertG!

i think that we can all see the source and reason for the problem. if that was eliminated, you all as moderators would have a much easier job. i understand, and so does everyone else, that no one can force someone to admit anything or prove any claims.

when a man says that he will do something, he should stand by his word.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ClayJ
good reply. do you have anything to say about this?
Old 03-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally Posted by RobertG
Super Moderator

Vehicle I drive: MB E350
Posts: 8,816 Seriously Clay, you need to get over yourself.

If you don't like being challenged on your claimed wealth or your claimed posessions, why do you keep bragging on and on and on...... about it?

As I said earlier, I just don't care if you have a dollar, or a few billion of them. But it seems awful important to you that EVERYBODY here knows. Suspicious??

I think it was you that said that.
Yes, but there's a BIG difference to asking "WHY" someone does something, and asking them to stop. As my post suggests, I too am curious why someone feels the need to do such bragging, and yes, I do wish he would stop. However, I can not and should not as a moderator tell him that he needs to stop.

what I meant about members fighting verbaly is that the person that started this mess is enjoying the show.
If we thought that this member was posting things specifically to start an argument, that would be different. However, I see no evidence to this, and in fact, I see evidence of this member trying to defuse the argument.

I gained a lot of information from this forum and enjoy great photos but when people are purposelly throwing their wealth in your face that is just wrong and naturally you begin to ask questions is this person real or is he really that rich or why does he scream for attention yet requires anonymity.

Some members got too worked up over this issue and got reprimanded , Clay should also feel the sting from this too.
It's like showing a cat to bunch of dogs and when the dogs get roudy and start barking you smack the dogs instead of taking the cat away.
Its fine to ask for "proof", and its fine to challenge claims made by other members. I have certainly done the same. What's not fine is the continued harassment which IS against our Terms of Use. As for ClayJ specifically feeling a "sting" from the moderators, you'd have to point me to something he has posted that violates our TOU.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
good reply RobertG!

i think that we can all see the source and reason for the problem. if that was eliminated, you all as moderators would have a much easier job. i understand, and so does everyone else, that no one can force someone to admit anything or prove any claims.

when a man says that he will do something, he should stand by his word.
The problem is not that someone may be lying, the problem is that there are people who are willing to violate the TOU in order to "Call them Out". We just don't eliminate members in this forum because others don't believe their claims. The moderators would have an easier job if everyone tried to abide by the terms of use. Do you think if ClayJ goes away this problem is over? It's not. The members who are hell bent on a witch hunt will just turn to the next member who makes a claim that they feel is unbelievable.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I dont recall him violating the TOU,however,he accused other members of vandalizing this forum yet he in fact is doing the same. When guests get on this site and read some of this stuff they will have some mixed feelings or opinions of this forum and it's members .
ClayJ is a well read person and I assume smart too , he should realize and show respect to moderators , as well as other members,and he should listen to advice or recomendations for future postings.
Insted of being a respected member with common interests he became a joke or a wipping post.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Closed Threads...