Suggestions & Feedback Use this forum to post and discuss suggestions for both the MBworld.org Disucussion Forums and the the MBworld.org Website.

Massive SPAM attack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,886 Likes on 2,601 Posts
2019 C63CS
Massive SPAM attack

What's up with the massive SPAM attack today? How come new members can sign up and then just create tons of threads out of the box? How about we block new members from creating threads for like a week or something, so they have to browse the forum first before they can post and then also throttle the amount of posts they can do during the initial days?

Last edited by superswiss; Yesterday at 06:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vich3 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM

Received 172 Likes on 139 Posts
SL63
Ditto superswiss.
The following users liked this post:
vich3 (Yesterday)
Old Today, 06:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 713 Likes on 530 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
or compare their email, ip and member name versus databases online.?
Stop Forum Spam
Old Today, 06:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,603 Likes on 2,213 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by superswiss
What's up with the massive SPAM attack today? How come new members can sign up and then just create tons of threads out of the box? How about we block new members from creating threads for like a week or something, so they have to browse the forum first before they can post and then also throttle the amount of posts they can do during the initial days?
Yup saw them but it was apparently batch deleted. It was like 5 thread per 2 minutes.

​​​​
Old Today, 08:43 AM

Received 204 Likes on 150 Posts
W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
@superswiss -

While it seem easy enough, it stops growth of real new members. It is not hard for a bot, or a center of second-world terror nation staff to just create new accounts with new email's (and a new IP every time).

It is more realistic to limit the total number of posts in X number of days. For me, first time I was on this forum was with a question that I was able to ask - and get answered in under an hour. Another MB forum I was shamed for asking......how DARE I not use the "Search" feature. I have not been back to the other MB forum.
Old Today, 09:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,603 Likes on 2,213 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by OldManAndHisCar
@superswiss -

While it seem easy enough, it stops growth of real new members. It is not hard for a bot, or a center of second-world terror nation staff to just create new accounts with new email's (and a new IP every time).

It is more realistic to limit the total number of posts in X number of days. For me, first time I was on this forum was with a question that I was able to ask - and get answered in under an hour. Another MB forum I was shamed for asking......how DARE I not use the "Search" feature. I have not been back to the other MB forum.
Sadly from the forum name I saw while those threads were still up, they mostly if not all were different for each thread. So even restricting the number of posts per day for new members won't do anything.

As you know, the forum is based on VB and VB has software that has algorithms to detect spam thread sadly that is only on the latest version.