Notices

Sprinter missing + electrical code

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Sprinter 3500 3.5L gasser
Sprinter missing + electrical code

Apologies in advance - this will be a little long... mostly because I've done about everything I can think of! But now I find myself with no option but to turn to some people who really know their $^&@.

Short backstory: bought a 2007 model year dodge 3500 sprinter converted into a 2008 Winnie. Peculiarly, this is a v6 3.5L gas m272 engine (which I understand is almost unheard of in a rv conversion). It does not fall within the serial numbers affected by the dreaded balance sprocket issue (thank god). When I bought it, it had a p0012 code for retarded timing in bank 1 position 2. This code persisted and caused some minor performance issues (long grades, weird shifting) but overall the sprinter performed admirably on some pretty tough stuff.

Fast forward a few months, I get intermittent misfiring in multiple cylinders. Replaced both bank 1 camshaft position sensors and both VVT adjuster magnets as well as a few plugs and a fresh coil for cylinder 4. Nothing worked until I spent 3 hours with my arm stuck down the back side of the block feeling around for and replacing the crankshaft position sensor. Misfiring stopped but p0012 and p0015 returned every time I would mozy around a parking lot, up to a stoplight or down a small grade (vacuum?); never had either code pop at speed on the hwy. Oddly, the rig performs better with the timing issue, it seems, as the shifting seems to allow the powerband to more adequately control the load especially on hills.

Fast forward 6 months, I am fixing to sell the beast as I've had my fun traveling creation for a year, but need to fix the timing code. Since I had already replaced all the "auxiliary" sensors/adjusters, I figured I'd take the camshaft oil control valve out of bank 1 pos. 2 and give it a nice clean with throttle body spray. After I pulled it, I noticed what felt like a flange just inside the timing case (later discovered to be the reluctor wheel) and in my infinite wisdom as a novice engine repairman decided to make sure it wasn't some sort of gasket or crush ring that also needed to be extracted. Well, it came loose and I put the ocv back in and drove around for a few miles all the while realizing I had probably just $&#*ed up. Initially, since I remembered the two pin markings were visible at 6 o'clock when I removed the OCV, I put it back. Drove the car 100 miles yesterday with only a p0341 CEL (circuit bank1 pos.1) - felt a little sluggish but did ok. This morning, start it and it misfires several times and dies. Then it proceeds to crank, start for 1 second and immediately die. Not wanting to be stranded in the desert if I could help it, I warmed it up in neutral for a few minutes and drove to town about 15 miles. Did some research and figured out I needed to crank the motor until the position markers on the reluctor wheel are visible through the camshaft sensor holes, so fixed that issue but the car will either crank, start 1 second, and stall, or it will idle around 900 rpm very rough and sputtery. Is very smooth if held over 1k rpm in neutral.

I've also inspected what I can of the wiring harness on the bank 1 side and cannot find any obvious issues. However, one of the aftermarket camshaft position sensors I bought turned out to be leaking oil into the electrical plug because of faulty construction where the magnet is not fully encased in plastic. Replaced it with the old OE sensor I had (remember replacing it never fixed anything so I believe they're good) and even took a camshaft position sensor from bank 2 and swapped it into both positions in bank 1. Still getting p0341, and now, tons of intermittent misfires and crappy (or no) idle. My question is, could all this emanate from possible oil in the wire housing from the bad sensor (read a post about this on another forum), did I $^#* up something when I put the reluctor plate back incorrectly and proceeded to drive 100 miles? Is my ECU failing? Also, took out the MAF sensor and cleaned it and the electrical connection (with proper procedure and products) before reinstalling to no avail. At least the weather is nice where I'm stranded... lol.

Thanks for any insight!