Notices

Transmission Repair/Rebuild/Replacement in Dallas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 12:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550 Coupe
Transmission Repair/Rebuild/Replacement in Dallas?

The transmission in my 2011 E550 Coupe (only 61k miles) was recently ruined abruptly and without warning by coolant getting from the radiator into the transmission.My service advisor at a large dealership in Dallas (who was a technician there for 5 years prior to becoming an advisor) told me it used to be an epidemic in earlier years (2000 - 2010). It just happened last week. It was fine on Thursday and trembled on every up-shift on Friday. I parked it and took it to the dealer on Monday and was given the diagnosis repair cost of $10,800 (new transmission, radiator, and other stuff). I did not even think for a minute about spending that to repair it, even though I've really liked the car for the 4 years I've owned it.

Is repairing, rebuilding, or replacing with a rebuilt transmission a much lower cost and doable alternative in this kind of situation? I know for most other makes and models transmission repair or replacement is pretty common.

Anybody know of transmission shops in the Dallas area with significant experience in this kind of work for Mercedes transmissions?

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:20 PM

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
2013 SL550 BiTurbo
ouch! sorry to hear that. I assume your radiator has failed? I know we had issues with those when I was a tech for MB on new cars...(early 2000's)

I don't know anything about them, but the shop in this thread(MMRS) seems to make the OP happy:
https://mbworld.org/forums/texas/744...ts-review.html
Old 08-22-2019, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Yup! Give Remington at MMRS a call... Either he'll be able to do a quality job or he'll tell you who you need to go to. Only mechanic I trust my car with.
The following users liked this post:
OrientBlue3 (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 11:01 PM

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
ED1 e63S
Originally Posted by skim7x
Yup! Give Remington at MMRS a call... Either he'll be able to do a quality job or he'll tell you who you need to go to. Only mechanic I trust my car with.
I second this!