Travel Domestic & World Travel. Highlights on Hotels, Resorts & your travel experience

Vacationing in NY - Opinions please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Vacationing in NY - Opinions please

Hope this is the correct forum for this as we will be travelling.

Wife wants to stay a week in NYC. I'm trying to figure out the best combination of things to do and place to stay. I noticed hotels can get very pricey and don't plan on spending much time in them other than sleeping.

So, any recommendations on saving some money without staying in crappy places? Would rather spend the money on fun things to do in and around the city.

For reference, it would be our first time staying in NY (have travelled through and done a few things but never stayed over). We would be the proverbial tourists as it were clueless. Also, we are thinking October unless otherwise shown to not be a good time.

We've done the usual research that newbies do and have good ideas of where we would like to stay and the fun places to go that everyone else does their first time.

What I need from my MB brethren is the real deal on best places to stay (for the money), best fun things to do during the day/night, and the best places you have to go eat.

All help is appreciated. Thanks!

PS: We are not singles looking to go clubbing...Thirty something married adults.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E550 4-Matic
As far as hotels go...prices can really vary. Go to Hotels.com, expedia, travelocity play around with dates and look at the hotels. I've seen the Waldorf and Palace cheaper than lower calibre hotels at times. As far as things to do...Depends what you are into...
Metropolitan Museum of Art
Museum of Natural History
Sightsee - times square, Rockerfeller Center, Central Park, Grand Central,
St. Patricks Cathedral, just walk up and down 5th Ave, Madison or Park (I'm more of a midtown kinda guy so I maybe biased)
Shopping (even just exploring the Flagship stores) - M&M world, American Girl, Nintendo, Saks & Co, Macys, Bergdof, Toys R Us, Disney (FAO Schwatz is lame now unfortunately)
Call NASDAQ and go to a market open or close (if you're into that)
Empire State Building
Broadway show

Places to eat / drink ...depends on the food you like and atmosphere....pick up a Zagats guide... I'll give you some good tourist favs...Sushi - Tao or Nobu, Italian - Carmines on 44th and Broadway, Steak - Smith and Wollensky, Romantic (and you don't mind going out of Manhattan - River Cafe in Queens (definitely get lucky that night). Wherever you go, make reservations in advance...

That's a start...hope it helps...

Last edited by FT Benz; 07-25-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Use Hotwire to find the best deals in the city. They have their own star ranking system so search 4 stars+ and that should get you into a very nice full service hotel. You can filter your search on location in Manhattan. IMO, first time visitors should stay mitdtown east... Walking distance to central park, museums and shopping. Its an easy cab/subway ride to everywhere else you want to go.

Being your first time in NYC, stay and eat and enjoy Manhattan and save the other boros for another trip. If you want restaurant recommendations or want a second opinion about one you've heard of, let me know.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Why on earth would they bother going to the other boros??
Old 07-29-2009, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 560SEC Teal 1989 420SEL Ice Blue 1984 500SEC White
For housing go to craigslist.org look for an apartment for the week and live like a New Yorker.

Much less expensive than hotels or B&B's although some Brownstone B&B's can be a good value.

Than you have a place to work from and come back to each might thats not a 4 walled no window hotel.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Originally Posted by Mister Brenton
Why on earth would they bother going to the other boros??
Some of the best meals can be had in the outer boros but not worth the hassle for most visitors. There is more than enough to do and see without leaving the island when visiting for the first time
Old 04-19-2011, 06:03 AM

aleciaruiz
New York is best and famous city in all over the world. Its largest city in united states. There are many tourist attraction places in new York like:

1) Empire State Building.
2) Statue of Liberty.
3) Rockefeller Centre.
4) The Museum of Modern Art.
5) Central Park.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:46 AM

honda city
Vacation is best way to getting relax and refresh. If I talk aout vacation in new york than Its very big and rich country. There are many tourist attraction places in New York like San Francisco, Disney World's Magic Kingdom, Rockefeller Enter and so on. Its best place for spent vacation.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:11 PM

Toyota MR2 Turbo (Buying A Mercedes Next!)
Echoing what others have said, if it's your first time you can check out the essentials like the Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty, etc... Also be sure to attend at least 1 Broadway show. Tickets can be a bit pricey for many of them, but it's well worth it.