V-Class 3 generations with first production year 1996...... V 230, V 280, V 200 CDI, V 220 CDI; Vito: Vito F 108 CDI, Vito F 110 CDI, Vito F 112 CDI, Vito F 113, Vito F 114; Marco Polo: Vito MP 108 CDI, Vito MP 110 CDI, Vito MP 112 CDI, Vito MP 113, Vito MP 114; Sprinter James Cook

Standby Mode Inoperative

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes benz Sprinter
Standby Mode Inoperative

I own a 2019 Sprinter 3500 diesel. When I select Standby Mode it is grayed out and the message next to it is System Inoperative. I had this problem before and the dealership fixed it in May of 2022. I have used it a few times since. I put it in Standby mode yesterday. I went back today, started the engine, moved the vehicle, shut off the engine.
Went to put it in Standby Mode and got the dreaded System Inoperative. Tried several times to start engine, shut off engine etc etc. Same thing. I found that member rjz2177 described the same problem in the Standby Mode Function thread. But there was nothing regarding if and how it was fixed. Tried to message rjz2177 but I am not authorized to do that for some reason. Does anyone know anything about this problem and the cause? Thank you
Old 07-24-2022, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,817 Likes on 2,551 Posts
2019 C63CS
Have not had that issue in my 2019 C63, however, I have COMAND and not MBUX. Possibly one of the many bugs in MBUX. You may wanna make sure you have the latest updates. I know Standby Mode is not available if the battery charge is not sufficient, but the message should say so if that's the cause, but just to be sure, have you hooked it up to a battery maintainer to fully charge the battery and see if the function comes back? How long do you leave it parked for? Standby Mode is meant for extended non-use and not for overnight. Keep in mind Standby Mode deactivates the alarm for example. I use it only when I go on a trip for several weeks and my car is always garaged.
The following users liked this post:
rsockey (07-24-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to V-Class forum...
Old 12-04-2022, 10:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Three MB's: GLK, ML & E - Class with Panam Grill
Update to my problem that was fixed by updating the ignition module as the first step. Than the message changed to battery too low that is the typical when the battery is low which I don't recall the verbatim of that message but it is normal when the battery is low. Second step, the dealer charged the battery but the message didn't go away. They performed short test of the battery and it passed. However; I insisted that something is wrong with the battery since even if it is only 3 years old, I previously used the stand-by mode without issues. They ran another detailed battery test and found out that the battery had some bad cell inside and doesn't hold the charge. After they replaced the battery my problem got solved and its been fine for about a year now.