V-Class 3 generations with first production year 1996...... V 230, V 280, V 200 CDI, V 220 CDI; Vito: Vito F 108 CDI, Vito F 110 CDI, Vito F 112 CDI, Vito F 113, Vito F 114; Marco Polo: Vito MP 108 CDI, Vito MP 110 CDI, Vito MP 112 CDI, Vito MP 113, Vito MP 114; Sprinter James Cook

Help!! MBUX with no Mercedes Me and No CarPlay!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2022 | 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2022 V Class 220
Help!! MBUX with no Mercedes Me and No CarPlay!!

Hello everyone!

I hope everyone is doing well today.

I am writing on this forum because I am perplexed at my current car situation. I bought a used 2021 VClass with MBUX here in Japan. All things and even the dealer pointed that MBUX is compatible with CarPlay.

However all signs point that I need to have Mercedes me to download the CarPlay app…

My car doesn’t have Mercedes me support… not sure why but anyway the point is I can’t get the app through me.

MBUX itself is an android based UX system and strictly speaking from a software and hardware perspective is indifferent to one on a different Grade car….so it should be able to run CarPlay, it just need the software… is there any way to jailbreak and add CarPlay to the mbux?

This is driving me nuts because I could have also purchased a vehicle with Command that did support CarPlay!!!

help!!!

Old 10-08-2022 | 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,670 Posts
2019 C63CS
I guess I post my answer again here, but please don't double post.

Hello and welcome to the community. Let me start with correcting your understanding. MBUX is not based on Android. Now as far as CarPlay is concerned, you need a separate package for that called the Smartphone Integration package. In some markets like here in the USA it comes standard with the car, but in many other markets it's optional and has to be ordered explicitly with the car. Sounds like this car wasn't ordered with it. It can be purchased retroactively via the Mercedes me connect Store where available, but sounds like Mercedes me is not available in Japan, so you are out of luck. There are some aftermarket companies that offer retrofitting and remote coding services such as RJ Automotive, so you can try them and see if they can activate it on your system, or if your dealership offers it then you might be able to buy the package from them and they'll activate it through their system.
The following users liked this post:
Kuromiso (10-09-2022)
Old 10-09-2022 | 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2022 V Class 220
Originally Posted by superswiss
I guess I post my answer again here, but please don't double post.

@superswiss thank you so much for your reply. This has been more helpful than what the dealer has been able to explain. Apologies for the double post!!

I believe I have the smartphone integration since I can plug the phone in via USB C to ply music and access my phone.. and I can use the Mercedes assistant too…

there is Mercedes me in Japan but for some reason not for my car. I am so puzzled.. I feel like if there was a way to simply add the app to the MBUX I would be able to get CarPlay..

Last edited by Kuromiso; 10-09-2022 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-09-2022 | 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,670 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Kuromiso
I believe I have the smartphone integration since I can plug the phone in via USB C to ply music and access my phone.. and I can use the Mercedes assistant too…
None of that signifies the Smartphone integration package. MBUX plays music from any USB device and Bluetooth integration to access your phone is standard, too. Mercedes assistant is also not related to this. The Smartphone Integration specifically adds Android Auto and CarPlay, nothing else. If you don't have CarPlay then you don't have the Smartphone Integration package.