Sponsored by:

E55 Vs. Lexus

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RennTechV12
I was going to sit this one out,

Are you saying that when a company that has been in business for over a hundred years, has become the industry standard and is basically responsible for the development of the internal combustion engine,

Mods render him

1. You should have sat it out, cause 2. you proved my point reight there in your bold caption, do you truly believe Mercedes is following the same work ethic and philosophy that got to deserve your previous statement TODAY?

There are people on this board complaining thier car didnt make it 3000 miles without having to go in for service.

Mercedes has the option to make a 180 degree turn and either run it's business efficiently (meaning reliable cars the 1st time) or get back to what they did best by creating the standard by which all other cars were judged.

If Mercedes was an employee of mine that was neither working efficiently nor putting out consistantly the best quality work. Mercedes would be fired, If you poeple are too arrogant to see the obvious maybe I should be banned from these boards.

A healthy dialogue is not the intention of many people on this board. I;m assuming if I told you the Lexus, Acura and Infiniti Navigation and electronics are far superior and more user friendly then MB you would probably tell me it's because thier drivers are not as smart as the MB owners
Old 09-27-2005, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by medici78
Agreed. if I couldnt afford the E55, I would not have thought twice to purchase the SRT8.
You can brag all you want about hp-per-litre, but i dont see any Lexus cars making anywhere near 425hp.
Its not how you make the power so much as how much you have. I'll take a 425hp 6.1 litre V8 over a 300hp 3.5 litre V6 anyday.
Not to mention it actually has personality, unlike the Toyota/Lexus line-up. And the build quality and fit and finish is quite good. Have you noticed that no recent Lexus has finished first in any comparison?
Why? Because they are so damn bland and boring!!!

Thank you for pointing out that Lexus does not have driving excitement, something I can agree with what I find hard to believe is that you're impressed by a 6.1 litre motor making 425 hp????

The new IS 0-60 is 5.1 seconds (3.5 litre 325 RELIABLE HP)
Quarter in 13.7 seconds

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=9

You truly believe that If Toyota didnt want to ruin it's bland everyday bulletproof reliable image they couldnt produce an 11 second stock car?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Braheem
Do me a favor, everyone with a michael douglas pic as your hero, go become one instead of trying to act like one.

Secondly, you dont know my ago so please dont talk down to me like you know me, you drive a clk430? I had one, very disappointing, rear end sounded like it was from a mustang with all the whining, no insulation to at least hide the road noise and to top it off the sunroof molding started to fall on my head even tho it's probably the least touched thing in the car.

Thirdly, again this is only a car forum please try to realize there's more important things in the world, it'll do you good.

Fourthly, I'd rather be driving a Toyota over a Dodge any day of the week.

Jaguar (Ford)
Mercedes(dodge)
Lexus(toyota)

Which would you drive? If you didnt have to impress everyone around you into thinking you're michael douglas?
I don't do people like yourself any favors, so I'll keep the photo of Gekko.

Second, It doesn't matter what your age is. And you probably were really driving a Toyota Corolla hatchback with a Lexus, err, Mercedes star emblem on it.

Thirdly, I didn't know you cared. I sure don't! :v

Fourthly, that ignorant statement gets you

Now go and play with your friends and Lexus-sux.com or something. :p
Old 09-27-2005, 12:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55, 12 CLS63
I love AMG powered MB, but would never ever buy a regular Mercedes. Having to deal with all the electronic gremlins of the car, then dealing with incompetent dealers, made me swear off any MB in the future. I tolerate AMG cars because I'm such a sucker for HP and torque. Our MB of today is nowhere near the quality of the MB of yore. My wife's 98 GS400 with 120k miles is far more trouble free than my ex-S55 with less than 20k miles or my E55 with 10k miles. Don't even get me started with MB vs. Lexus dealers.

BTW, I did not even download the video as I don't care if a modified car is faster than a stock car.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
A healthy dialogue is not the intention of many people on this board. I;m assuming if I told you the Lexus, Acura and Infiniti Navigation and electronics are far superior and more user friendly then MB you would probably tell me it's because thier drivers are not as smart as the MB owners
I seek unhealthy dialogue. You can go to the Lexus boards and find your "healthy" dialogue along with your Grape-Nuts and berries there.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:19 AM

Someone who knows his stuff

http://www.kenrockwell.com/sl/history.htm

Try READING before arrogantly commenting... AGAIN.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Secondly, you dont know my ago so please dont talk down to me like you know me, you drive a clk430?
"Leggo my 'ago'!!!"
Old 09-27-2005, 02:00 AM

2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Someone who knows his stuff

http://www.kenrockwell.com/sl/history.htm

Try READING before arrogantly commenting... AGAIN.

who's he, Lew's brother?

http://www.lewrockwell.com/
Old 09-27-2005, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Originally Posted by RennTechV12
I was going to sit this one out, but you have just proven the fact that you are a bonafied, card carrying idiot. You can try to manipulate the facts however you want.

Are you saying that when a company that has been in business for over a hundred years, has become the industry standard and is basically responsible for the development of the internal combustion engine, purchases another company that is on the brink of bankruptcy and financial dissolution (who the US government refused to bail out), that the buyer assumes the qualities of the company it bought?? That means you are saying that every little company that Microsoft and AOL purchased are now the embodiment of those two corporate juggernauts.

I don't like to call names, but you are an idiot savant. Stick to the video games, high sugar and sodium snack treats and masturbating to downloaded ****!!

Mods render him
not to appear to correct a fellow valley of the Sun MBer, but MB has been in business technically 120 years as of Dec... and they pioneered not only the internal combustion engine but also the diesel automobile, the crumple zone, the ABS braking system, Airbags in production cars, and ESP but to name 5 other MAJOR items.

I would argue MB IS the best car maker in the world.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:16 PM

2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Originally Posted by CE750
MB pioneered not only the internal combustion engine but also ... Airbags in production cars.
I'm not 100% sure about that; Cadillac had driver's side airbags available as an option as early as its 1975 models. I don't think anyone else was at the party that early, but I could be wrong. I do recall Cadillac claiming that as a point of pride in the literature that came with my '91 Fleetwood and '02 DTS, though, for what it's worth.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vixapphire
I'm not 100% sure about that; Cadillac had driver's side airbags available as an option as early as its 1975 models. I don't think anyone else was at the party that early, but I could be wrong. I do recall Cadillac claiming that as a point of pride in the literature that came with my '91 Fleetwood and '02 DTS, though, for what it's worth.
While the airbag was invented by the Americans, It was perfected and made standard in all their line of cars by MB first.. I also believe MB had them in cars from the late 80's... such as the SEL's and such.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:28 PM

2005 Brilliant Silver E55
Wow this thread is getting out of control.

Does anyonce actually care that the 1 in a billion IS was faster than the E55. That would make up 1% of the total Lexus population that is faster than the E55. While the video (I've seen it a long time a go, I think the guy has something like 600RWHP or something) was very cool and quite entertaning, that's all it is entertainment.

I've had several Lexus myself, I won't comment how boring they are to drive as it's a known fact, although some GS owners think otherwise. Lexus service is 2nd to none. As far as maintenance, my GOD, Lexus charged me close to $1000 for service on our LX470 that included check, check, check, check and maybe replaced the windshield wipers. And yes, Lexus costs more than Toyota when servicing the same vehicle - after all it's a Lexus

Not going to sit here and bash Lexus because they do make fine products. As for the new IS, I guess they finally got something to compete with the 3er...Lexus got tired of taking back seat to BMW I guess. The IS is faster than the 3er finally...til BWM decides to drop a 3.2 into the 3er I guess, than it's back to the way it was I suppose. Can't wait to see the new IS though.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:38 PM

2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Originally Posted by CE750
While the airbag was invented by the Americans, It was perfected and made standard in all their line of cars by MB first.. I also believe MB had them in cars from the late 80's... such as the SEL's and such.
yeah; driver's side 'bags didn't really become commonplace in US cars until the early '90's, although they were in the front-drive cadillacs from the '89 model year (the second-gen front-drive body, which has held up as a very attractive design - especially in the "sixty special" trim featuring fender skirts and 6-spoke aluminum rims). i had a volvo wagon ('86 740 gle) without airbags, but they did become standard in either '88 or '89 in the steering wheel of those cars too. volvo claims priority with the "SIPS" side airbags. when mbz began using the wheel they had in the '92 190 and other cars (i believe this was around '90), is when they put the bags in; the prior steering wheels didn't accommodate an airbag. like you said, they probably put 'em into the big cars first and trickled them down to other models over the ensuing year or two, from sometime in the late '80s.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I can't find the link to it, but I did read that MB holds more patents for automotive technology and safety than any other auto maker.