e55 cost of ownership, 99-02

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
e55 cost of ownership, 99-02

hi guys, for 1999 to 2002 E55's, i'm hoping to get some input as i'm considering the purchase of an E55 w/ 87k.

how much are these items and how often might they need attention?

front brake pads/disc?
engine mounts?
catalytic converter (one was already done at 80k)
anything else that's major that comes up?
thx in advance.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'01 E55
Sorry, I don't have any numbers for you for the cost of replacement for the items listed. From my experience you're going to need front pads roughly every 10k miles, rear pads every 15k miles. Front rotors every 30k, and rear rotors every 50k or so. The engine mounts do go bad fairly often (mine are collapsed right now I just haven't had time to replace them), I'd say every 50k miles or so. On a car with 80+k on the odometer you might also need front lower control arm caster bushings. The bushings are fairly cheap but labor is around 4 hours to replace them (plus alignment afterwards). The flex-disc my also need attention but that's an issue on all w210's. Basically the w210 e55 is just like every other 210 out there with the same issues you might have already experienced. It all depends on how hard you push the car.

EDIT: Currently on mine (47,000 miles) I need motor mounts, oil level sender (leaking oil), and a battery. I also have an intermittent BAS/ESP light which is probably going to require replacement of the brake booster assembly.

Last edited by glassJAw; 11-20-2006 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:11 AM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Multiple
Originally Posted by Glassjaw
Sorry, I don't have any numbers for you for the cost of replacement for the items listed. From my experience you're going to need front pads roughly every 10k miles, rear pads every 15k miles. Front rotors every 30k, and rear rotors every 50k or so. The engine mounts do go bad fairly often (mine are collapsed right now I just haven't had time to replace them), I'd say every 50k miles or so. On a car with 80+k on the odometer you might also need front lower control arm caster bushings. The bushings are fairly cheap but labor is around 4 hours to replace them (plus alignment afterwards). The flex-disc my also need attention but that's an issue on all w210's. Basically the w210 e55 is just like every other 210 out there with the same issues you might have already experienced. It all depends on how hard you push the car.

EDIT: Currently on mine (47,000 miles) I need motor mounts, oil level sender (leaking oil), and a battery. I also have an intermittent BAS/ESP light which is probably going to require replacement of the brake booster assembly.
Glassjaw, interesting you mention the intermittent BAS/ESP light. I get that too, once every 1k miles or so roughly. I turn off the car and turn it back on and it goes away.

Will this get worse? How much is the brake booster assembly going to set me back by? I researched this a while back and someone was suggesting the culprit to be a $20 brake light switch? Someone else was suggesting the ABS pump. What are your thoughts?
Old 11-21-2006, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

brakes

glassjaw - thx for your input.

btw, besides the frequency of the front brakes every 10k miles, i noticed that you only had the discs to be replaced every 3x for the pads. i had heard recently that discs can no longer be turned as they often get warped, and therefore BOTH the pads and the discs need to be replaced and it's about $1,100-, yikes.

this car also had the BAS - ESP light in prior svc, and it was repaired...i'll ck out the fix that was required.

thx again.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'01 E55
Originally Posted by xxaarraa
Glassjaw, interesting you mention the intermittent BAS/ESP light. I get that too, once every 1k miles or so roughly. I turn off the car and turn it back on and it goes away.

Will this get worse? How much is the brake booster assembly going to set me back by? I researched this a while back and someone was suggesting the culprit to be a $20 brake light switch? Someone else was suggesting the ABS pump. What are your thoughts?
9 times out of 10 an intermittent BAS/ESP warning light (on a 210 chassis) leads to a faulty stop-lamp switch which is a fairly cheap fix. I was thinking this exact thing when I performed an SDS test on my car but unfortunately got a code for a switch inside the brake booster assembly. I don't know how much it costs off the top of my head but I know it's not cheap.

The ABS pump rarely goes bad but that is a possibility. Low battery voltage can also cause an intermittent BAS/ESP warning light because the steering angle sensor looses synchronization. In your case, my money is on the stop-lamp switch.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:56 AM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Multiple
Originally Posted by Glassjaw
9 times out of 10 an intermittent BAS/ESP warning light (on a 210 chassis) leads to a faulty stop-lamp switch which is a fairly cheap fix. I was thinking this exact thing when I performed an SDS test on my car but unfortunately got a code for a switch inside the brake booster assembly. I don't know how much it costs off the top of my head but I know it's not cheap.

The ABS pump rarely goes bad but that is a possibility. Low battery voltage can also cause an intermittent BAS/ESP warning light because the steering angle sensor looses synchronization. In your case, my money is on the stop-lamp switch.
Thanks buddy, I appreciate the input.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
why do so much in a low mileage car?

Originally Posted by bzliteyear
hi guys, for 1999 to 2002 E55's, i'm hoping to get some input as i'm considering the purchase of an E55 w/ 87k.

how much are these items and how often might they need attention?

front brake pads/disc?
engine mounts?
catalytic converter (one was already done at 80k)
anything else that's major that comes up?
thx in advance.
Brakes are expensive. Rotars $400.00 each. Pads $300.00 a pair. All different from the E500.

Why would you do the engine mounts and cats at 87,000 miles? The cats must be under warranty still. Car makers are required to ensure cats do not fail for a long time-mileage, unless you had used leaded fuel.

Otherwise the car is easy to maintain. Nothing worse than any other W210.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

e55

thx for info on brakes.

i found out the front brakes are at 8mm (w/ 10mm being new), and that the rears are new 500 miles ago. therefore, i should be ok on the brakes a while. some have said the rotors may not have to be replaced each time...i hope that's true, esp for the fronts. additionally, i find it interesting that the front rotors are not the cross-drilled types like the more recent AMG models.

btw, the catalytic converter replacement turned out to be for his other car (e430) and not the E55.

at 87k miles, the car i believe still had the original motor mounts. an MB advisor recently shared that my biggest exposure is probably motor mounts ($600) and front pushings ($900?). the rest of the car should be in good shape since there was recent tune-up/new plugs/new ignition wires/brakes/new mass flow etc...

so...knock on wood, just enjoying my ride and will post soon.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E55 AMG
As an owner of a 1999 E55 I would like to bring to you attention the issue of rust prevention and or repair. Ive been very fortunate to own a car with minimal rust. However Ive had to deal with areas of surface rust that are common to the W210 chassis. Unless you are able DIY these problems expect to pay a few hundred for inspection of the underside of the car.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
08 GL320 CDI
I don't agree with any of the above regarding brake pads and rotors. Rotors last @ 80-100,000 miles and pads @ 50,000 unless you are driving on the track or some serious city stop and go the above is not true in my experience.
As for cost of rotors $251.92 each at Autohauz currently and I put Akebono ceramic dustless on the front of mine $75.00 rock auto 20,000 miles on em and way more than half the pad left.

Motor mounts about $67.00 or so on sale at AutoHauz ea. If you by parts at the dealer you will get hosed. My .55 cents worth.

Dan
Old 07-28-2014, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 E55 AMG
I haven't owned my E55 very long, but it really hasnt been "expensive". I changed the oil once @95 dollars, and had ro replace the driver side spring perch. I did that myself so it only cost me about 70 to fix. If you can do your own work they are not bad at all. Very solid reliable car.