Mass Airflow Sensors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2002 | 12:29 PM
Almost a Member!

1999 E55
Mass Airflow Sensors

Hi everyone,

In the past few weeks that I have been reading this board, I have noticed some older discussions about the MAS on the E55. I have been wondering if some of the little things I have noticed on my 1999 E55 could be MAS problems rather than just an idosyncracy of the car. I bought the car used about 2 months ago (it only have 13K miles) and have been thrilled with it but have noticed a couple fo things.

First, when I take my foot off the accelerator at low speed, such as in a parking lot, the car bogs down as if the parking brake is on. I let a friend of mine drive the car and he commented on it with me saying a word. It just does not feel like the throttle is as free as it should be.

Also, at times I have noticed that the throttle can be a little jerky when I hit the gas - sort of a lag in response. This usually happens when I am cruising around 50-60 mph with the RPM around 2k and I press the gas - there seems to be a lag time and the car will kick a little as the RPMs start to increase.

The car still has a lot of time left on the warranty and if I have a problem with the MAS I would like to get it fixed. From the posts on the board, it sounds like this type of MAS problem may not show as an error code. If the dealer can find no error, will I have a battle with them trying to get a new MAS with the new software under warranty.

Thanks for all the great posts that I have been reading. This board has helped me out quit a bit.