Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG Estate W210 1998
E55 Estate - new owner

Hi

Just got my 1998 E55 Estate

Before the E55 I owned an e39 M5 for 4 years. I was very happy with the M5, however, with 3 young kids & all their paraphernalia, life was getting a bit cramped in a 4 door saloon. So I then bought an immaculate 1995 e34 M5 Touring, great car, however sold this recently, as the M5 board had so many stories of engine problems & it was still not big enough really. I then bought a 7 seater E 55 AMG Estate, what a brilliant antidote to a boring old MPV/people carrier vehicle & available in RHD (e34 M5 Touring was LHD only).

I am so pleased with the E55. It's been really well looked after by its 2 previous owners & only has 65k on the clock. First owner was a Hugh Padgham. It's quite an unusual name. I'm wondering if it's the same Hugh Padgham, the English record producer for Sting, Genesis, Phil Collins etc?

There is absolutely no rust nor dents whatsoever (MB did a partial respray under warranty apparently).

IMHO an even better put together car than the M5, with higher quality materials. Everything works perfectly & feels like it will continue to do so for a very long time still. Built like the proverbial tank & one of the last proper Mercedes, before the takeover of Chrysler disaster. I was apprehensive about getting an automatic after enjoying a manual 6 speed, however have quickly adapted & now value the turbine smooth transmission/engine and yet the pace of the car feels pretty damn close to the M5. I do miss the LSD though.

My kids now fight over who sits in the boot & no doubt wave at all the cars I routinely overtake in my sleeper estate. Not bad for a 9 year old car. These cars represent outstanding value for money...ssshhhh don't tell anyone!

BTW great website.

Regards

Chris
Attached Thumbnails E55 Estate - new owner-cimg3144.jpg   E55 Estate - new owner-cimg3145.jpg  
Old 06-19-2007, 08:18 AM

CLK, R350
man i wish we had the E55 w210 wagon in the states, that thing looks nice. Good luck with the car Im sure she will treat you well
Old 06-19-2007, 09:20 AM

E55 AMG Estate W210 1998
Originally Posted by Howellja
man i wish we had the E55 w210 wagon in the states, that thing looks nice. Good luck with the car Im sure she will treat you well

What a shame, sorry to hear that. What a sales opportunity they're missing. I guess it must have something to do with the safety approval/expense for imported cars. Funnily enough I've only just sold & exported my e34 BMW M5 Touring earlier this year to a guy in Texas. Think I'll go into the export business of estate/station wagon cars full time

What fast estates, if any, do you get officially imported into the USA then?

Chris
Old 06-19-2007, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB, BMW
nice E55 Chris!! enjoy and welcome to the forum.

to answer your question, estates are called 'wagons' over here, and there's a certain stigma towards wagons as soccer-mom cars or something only a loser who can't afford a SUV would buy. it's very strange but it is what it is.

BMW never sent us the E39 M5 estate, nor did MB send us the W210 E55 estate. But Audi sells their S-model wagons here. Not sure if MB sells W211 E55 wagons.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:23 AM

E55 AMG Estate W210 1998
Hi ProV1
Thanks for the warm welcome. Think you meant to say the e34 M5 Touring, unfortunately they never made an e39 M5 Touring, otherwise I could well be driving that now

Enjoyed your comments regarding the stigma attached to wagons in the USA; as you probably know, quite the opposite this side of the pond, there's a certain coolness/refinement/wolf in sheep's clothing (well I like to think so :-)) factor associated with driving a fast, understated estate/wagon.

Having said that, I can understand the attraction of pure sportscar i.e. I wouldn't say no to a Porsche 911 Turbo, but unfortunately I have a rather more modest budget & a large family as a constraint.

Regards

Chris
Old 06-19-2007, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB, BMW
Chris, no prob and do visit often!

How did you like the E39 M5? That car is still one of my fav. cars of all time. I couldn't buy one because when I was shopping, I found out that same year similar mileage M5 costs $10k more than a E55. Couldn't justify the extra $.

The only negatives I had about E39 was lack of rear legroom, small trunk and too heavy steering.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
The W211 E55 was sold here, as is the current W211 E63.

Did you find any Grammys under the seats?

Trending Topics

Old 06-19-2007, 01:37 PM

E55 AMG Estate W210 1998
Hi ProV1

Yes the e39 M5 was a fantastic car to own, however as a family of 5 now, we had literally outgrown it. As you say boot too small, particularly if it has the DSP hifi speakers built into the rear shelf, which eat up a lot of room.

Steering was good, particularly with Sport button on, however for everyday driving I left it with the Sport mode off, as the throttle was just too sensitive, particularly noticeable in built up areas. As you know the steering feedback not as good as with a rack & pinion setup (e34 M5 superb in this respect), but you get used to this minor negative.

Loved the limited slip differential (M-diff), you felt really confident in almost all conditions. Always drove with the traction control in the rain, after a major fright when I turned it off once in the rain & was leaving a roundabout & gave it too much throttle & the car tried to do a 360 degree pirouette. Soon realised my limitations & those of RWD in the wet!

Agree lack of rear legroom another reason for switching to an E class. The E55 feels positively cavernous in comparison.

Nothing major went wrong in the 4 years I owned one. Just a few minor electrical niggles. However, just before I sold it, I raced a 535d, took it up near the redline & the engine started cough & splutter & then decided to go into limp home mode, on a fast dual carriageway! Managed to pull into a side road, turn off the ignition & fire her up again & she was fine after that. Sold it soon afterwards, my confidence (& my ego!) in the car was knocked a bit.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:59 PM

E55 AMG Estate W210 1998
Originally Posted by Chappy
The W211 E55 was sold here, as is the current W211 E63.

Did you find any Grammys under the seats?
Thanks for the clarification Chappy

BTW what's a 'grammy' please? Lost in translation.

LP/vinyl? from gramophone??
Old 06-19-2007, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by E55 Estate Fan
BTW what's a 'grammy' please? Lost in translation.

LP/vinyl? from gramophone??

Like 'The Oscar's' of music....(was wondering if Mr. Padgham had left one in the car - he's won 4)

http://www.grammy.com/

(sorry, my feeble attempt at humor)
Old 06-19-2007, 02:09 PM

E55 AMG Estate W210 1998
Ah! Sorry, I'm a bit tired, missed that. Good one Chappy!
I'll be delighted if it turns out to be his old car. I've sent an email to his record company. Fingers crossed. Probably think I'm some kind of car nut; they'd be right

Chris