Sponsored by:

Camshaft Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W212 E63 & W211 E63
Camshaft Replacement

I brought my recently purchsed '00 E55 to my mechanic to have all, if not most of all of the warranty done on the car. He tells me that the biggest wear on our cars is the camshaft. He's trying to get the warranty company to pony up $4200 for the parts for a total of over $6000, with labor. Now the warranty company wants to send an adjuster to check the car. The adjuster is suggesting to use used parts, or after market parts. Sounds like bad faith to me.

My mechanic also said that the ball joints are a common wear on these cars. Has anyone experienced this on our "high performance" car?
Old 07-10-2007, 05:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by Hendrich
I brought my recently purchsed '00 E55 to my mechanic to have all, if not most of all of the warranty done on the car. He tells me that the biggest wear on our cars is the camshaft. He's trying to get the warranty company to pony up $4200 for the parts for a total of over $6000, with labor. Now the warranty company wants to send an adjuster to check the car. The adjuster is suggesting to use used parts, or after market parts. Sounds like bad faith to me.

My mechanic also said that the ball joints are a common wear on these cars. Has anyone experienced this on our "high performance" car?
That's BS on the camshafts! Never ever heard of that on these cars. Sounds like your mechanic is a Gold digger! You chk this whole forum and you'll never read of any camshaft problems with the M113 motors. Why did you bring your car to him in the first place? What issues are you having?

I'll only agree with him on the balljoints.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG

Which warranty company are you using? Used parts?
Old 07-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ProjectC55
That's BS on the camshafts! Never ever heard of that on these cars. Sounds like your mechanic is a Gold digger! You chk this whole forum and you'll never read of any camshaft problems with the M113 motors.
+1
Old 07-10-2007, 05:54 PM

2002 E55
Originally Posted by JamE55
+1
+2

my mechanic said these 210 are bullet proof might be time to look for a new one (the mechanic not the car!).

bit
Old 07-10-2007, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
That's BS on the camshafts! Never ever heard of that on these cars. Sounds like your mechanic is a Gold digger! You chk this whole forum and you'll never read of any camshaft problems with the M113 motors. Why did you bring your car to him in the first place? What issues are you having?

I'll only agree with him on the balljoints.

+3

I smell a crook...
Old 07-11-2007, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
Sounds like BS but if you can work an angle to get the warranty company to provide you with a free Kleemann cams upgrade (aftermarket parts) it could be a pretty sweet deal.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by suicidal4life
Sounds like BS but if you can work an angle to get the warranty company to provide you with a free Kleemann cams upgrade (aftermarket parts) it could be a pretty sweet deal.
True. But I'm sure there is nothing wrng with the stock camshafts. This mechanic joker sounds like he just wants to rape the warranty company.
Who says he even knows how to install MB camshafts as well? Funny thing is that the OP has not been back yet as well.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:38 PM

W212 E63 & W211 E63
I have been waiting for the warranty company to give me a final determination. I misplaced the papers, but believe the company is called CMR. They sure dragged their feet on high claims.

This may be true about my mechanic, but he's been my mechanic for the last 5-6 years of the 20 years I've been drving a Mbz. I often question the repairs he does on my cars, almost all are costly. But to his defense, I have never been stranded anywhwere. He likes to err on the side of precautionary measures. In this case, I believe he's trying to look after my interest and try to get as much repaired on the car that the warranty will covers, albeit he's getting much $ from me too.

The latest is that all the cams are going to be replaced. The ball joint, sway bar links, the bushings and the motor mounts are all being replaced. The sad part is the warranty is squirming out of paying the entire fix. They're paying only $4600 of the $7000 for OEM part (I wouldn't tolerate used or after market (except Brabus, Kleenman, etc.)). On the bright side, I pretty much have a "fairly new" car after the $$ repairs, with no worries.

I agree with E55Bit, that these care are pretty much bullet proof. This is why I posted this.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have been waiting for the warranty company to give me a final determination. I misplaced the papers, but believe the company is called CMR. They sure dragged their feet on high claims.

This may be true about my mechanic, but he's been my mechanic for the last 5-6 years of the 20 years I've been drving a Mbz. I often question the repairs he does on my cars, almost all are costly. But to his defense, I have never been stranded anywhwere. He likes to err on the side of precautionary measures. In this case, I believe he's trying to look after my interest and try to get as much repaired on the car that the warranty will covers, albeit he's getting much $ from me too.

The latest is that all the cams are going to be replaced. The sad part is the warranty is squirming out of paying the entire fix. They're paying only $4600 of the $7000 for OEM part (I wouldn't tolerate used or after market (except Brabus, Kleenman, etc.)). On the bright side, I pretty much have a "fairly new" car after the $$ repairs, with no worries.
Sorry to say but what you are doing or having your mechanic do with the cams is DUMB!! More pwr to ya!!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Sorry to say but what you are doing or having your mechanic do with the cams is DUMB!! More pwr to ya!!!!
.............I agree. What even led him to check the camshafts?

Ted
Old 07-11-2007, 10:57 PM

2002 E55
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
.............I agree. What even led him to check the camshafts?

Ted

I agree with Ted, whats up with that? Car was not running properly?

Bit
Old 07-12-2007, 02:34 AM

W212 E63 & W211 E63
Okay, I'm a little slow here...

I had him do an all-points check on the car as soon as I was able to get the car into CA (purchased from another state). He discovered these deficiencies and did the leg work to get the warranty people to okay the work.

I don't understand? Who normally does cam work? Are you inferring the dealer? Help me understand this, please.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Okay, I'm a little slow here...
No kiddin!

I had him do an all-points check on the car as soon as I was able to get the car into CA (purchased from another state). He discovered these deficiencies and did the leg work to get the warranty people to okay the work.

I don't understand? Who normally does cam work?
No one, it's not necessary!
Help me understand this, please.
OK I'll try.

And do some more searching here for your own good. Lot's of info here on your car can be found in these threads for the W210 E55. Ted Baldwin can also give you plenty info on these motors.

First of all,how did he determine there was a problem with the cams? Did someone mess with the cam timing or somethig?(Which I doubt) Are you experiencing a serious loss of pwr?

Don't know if you know this but there are sensors and things that can go bad over time. I believe one of them may be the cam or crank position sensor. That's a very minor chg and maintenance item, but if somethings wrng there you will experience obvious symptoms.

You really have not given us much info about this car either. Mileage? Overall condition?

I still say your mechanic is trying to Hack the warranty company and your wallet. You seem like a pretty naive Chap.
Your mechanic basically looks at you as an opportunity. The warranty is definitely something that he'd love to cash up on. In five yrs as you stated, how much money has he made off of you? You seem like the perfect patient with medical insurance.
I have never heard of these cars having a problem with the cams.

Seems like you're a little naive and he's taking advantage of you concerning this E55.
If you wanted an E55 W210 that needed little maintenance you should have bought a 2002 with a Starmark warranty. Even an E55 with 200,000 miles will not show engine problems as your mechanic has stated unless the previous owner poored sugar in the motor and never chged the oil since purchasing the car.

If you wanna chg the ball joints fine,but depending on the mileage the only things you should chg motor wise are the motor mounts,O2 sensors,spark plugs,wires,cps sensor,tranny fluid ,tranny filter(MB or Amsoil ATF) and motor oil(synthetic Mobil One10W30 or Amsoil Euro 5w40) .
Just do those things there and you'll enjoy your car for many miles. The cams in these motors are very expensive and are quality pieces that will last the life of the car.

Last edited by ProjectC55; 07-12-2007 at 04:41 PM.