Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whoa--car did something weird today...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoa--car did something weird today...

I was driving home today and was parked at a stoplight. I was facing slightly uphill on what I would call "slick asphalt", and the low fuel light was on.

I started through the intersection and when it shifted into 2nd gear I really punched it. The engine raced, but the car accelerated slowly. Then, it started gaining traction and taking off.

Here's the thing--the Traction Control light never lit up. Scared to death that it was the transmission starting to slip, I drove it for a while and never got the same results. Car drives perfect. Punched it a little, too, and got the Traction light to turn on.

The only thing I can think of is that when I punched it at the stop light, both tires started to spin at the same speed, which probably wouldn't activate the traction light.

I've always assumed the engine and transmission on these cars are bulletproof. HAs anyone ever had a similar experience to this?

Car is an 01 E55 with 106K.

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2007, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by jwolff
I was driving home today and was parked at a stoplight. I was facing slightly uphill on what I would call "slick asphalt", and the low fuel light was on.

I started through the intersection and when it shifted into 2nd gear I really punched it. The engine raced, but the car accelerated slowly. Then, it started gaining traction and taking off.

Here's the thing--the Traction Control light never lit up. Scared to death that it was the transmission starting to slip, I drove it for a while and never got the same results. Car drives perfect. Punched it a little, too, and got the Traction light to turn on.

The only thing I can think of is that when I punched it at the stop light, both tires started to spin at the same speed, which probably wouldn't activate the traction light.

I've always assumed the engine and transmission on these cars are bulletproof. HAs anyone ever had a similar experience to this?

Car is an 01 E55 with 106K.

Thanks!
If you have not done so yet,you need to chg the tranny fluid and filter. It is the death of these trannies if you don't chg the fluid often. Without this being done,NO these trannies are not bulletproof!

Last edited by ProjectC55; 09-08-2007 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E63 AMG
Electric TQ converter went on and off or trans slip. I changed my trans filter and oil at 40,000. and will just drop oil again at 60,000. just to be safe. Do your read end as well.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:49 PM

2000 E55 AMG
Given the high mileage, two things come to mine: (1) transmission fluid leaking (worn seal) on the transmission control module; (2) defective MAF sensor (run the codes). just my two cents Good luck.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:33 PM

So will a transmission flush/refill and filter replacement likely take care of a slipping problem (if that's what it is) since I seem to have caught it very early?

I know its due for that service...
Old 09-10-2007, 11:48 AM

2000 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jwolff
So will a transmission flush/refill and filter replacement likely take care of a slipping problem (if that's what it is) since I seem to have caught it very early?

I know its due for that service...
This would be a great place to start. One can go 60K before this service, but I perform this service every 30K for peace of mind.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:35 PM

2002 e55 w211 ....
and on the every 30k front ..... HOW EASY IS IT TO DO??????

is it a hour job or best to take to a garage??

cheers