Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 07:23 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E55 AMG
High Beam Problem

High guys.
I got a 99 e55AMG and have recently bought new black headlight units for it. I also got a set of Xenon H3 bulbs for the high beams located in the smaller sidelights of the full headlight unit. I started with the right (as you are in the car) light and removed the unit. Installed the original headlight xenon headlight bulb, new LED bulb for the sidelights and the original indicator bulb and installed the new xenon high beams to the sidelights. The Xenon high beams worked for about 5 seconds and then turned themselves off. I tried a normal bulb again from both the headlight and the connector in the bonnet and there is no power going to the highams at all. Checked all fuses and found no breaks. The wierd thing is that the left headlight with the original high beam bulb worked fine even though the right bulb wasnt getting any power. I tried taking the right high beam wires, splting them and running the wire to the left for the side lights but when i installed the xenons to the right as well the same thing happened, they both worked for 5 seconds and turned off. and now i have no high beams. The headlights, sidelights and indicators work fine but no power is getting to the high beams at all. Anyone know why this could be happening?
Any help much appreciated.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
It is a fuse, you may have missed it. It is located in the dashboard, left hand side (covered by door). pop the small panel off and you will see the fuses.
Attached Thumbnails High Beam Problem-fuse_box.jpg  
Old 02-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Almost a Member!

1999 E55 AMG
thanks, will look tomorrow in the light
Old 02-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Almost a Member!

1999 E55 AMG
found the fuse had gone b ut it wont take a 7.5 A fuse. It just burns throh them. Do you know the max amperage on the headlight regulator so i can put the max fuse without burning the regulator?