Suspension question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CLS55 Renntech stage 5, 04 CL600 ( will miss ),02e55 , 11 R350
Suspension question

When I had the H&Rs installed recently I also had the control arm bushings replaced, could any of the work involved if not done correctly for some reason , affect the H&Rs front not to drop as much as they should have? I dont think I have any drop at all from stock in the front! The car feels right, aligned perfectly, only a very disappointing front drop.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Originally Posted by maxwerks
When I had the H&Rs installed recently I also had the control arm bushings replaced, could any of the work involved if not done correctly for some reason , affect the H&Rs front not to drop as much as they should have? I dont think I have any drop at all from stock in the front! The car feels right, aligned perfectly, only a very disappointing front drop.
Seen normal, You never know what you going to get with H&R. My didn't drop any at all. I had to replace the factory Pad with #1 just to get .5" drop. Very disappointed
Old 03-24-2008, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
If you just installed the springs I hope you know you have to give them a couple of weeks to settle, right? Your car should drop a lot more after the springs have settled. If after a month of daily driving you don't like the height, that is when you should consider a different spring.

By the way, what size spring pads are you sitting on? If you left the stock #3 pads in there, that is why you're probably not happy with the drop. Make sure that you have or if you don't, install #1 pads in there all around and with the H&R sports, you should be happy with the drop. I was happy with mine back on my E420 and Raffi has the H&R sports on his 55 and the drop is nice on his stock 18" Monos.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CLS55 Renntech stage 5, 04 CL600 ( will miss ),02e55 , 11 R350
Originally Posted by jimmydagreek
If you just installed the springs I hope you know you have to give them a couple of weeks to settle, right? Your car should drop a lot more after the springs have settled. If after a month of daily driving you don't like the height, that is when you should consider a different spring.

By the way, what size spring pads are you sitting on? If you left the stock #3 pads in there, that is why you're probably not happy with the drop. Make sure that you have or if you don't, install #1 pads in there all around and with the H&R sports, you should be happy with the drop. I was happy with mine back on my E420 and Raffi has the H&R sports on his 55 and the drop is nice on his stock 18" Monos.
Jimmy , I havent really driven the car that much at all since the install . It is being wet sanded and I am doing a custom job on the front bumper and I am working on that. I have an 08 E350 which is getting a lot of driving time! ( not a bad car at all BTW ) Some people said it will settle and some said it didnt at all ...I kept the #3 in the rear ( new pad though ) , to be on the safe side , and to also I didnt want the car to level, I wanted it to be raked ( I have done that on other MBs and it worked great ) . The fronts have #2 ( mistake ) and I guess should have had #1. but thats only 4mm lower , and now it looks stock in the front ( No drop ! ) . Now I am contemplating either doing the #1 for the fronts, or just scrapping the H&Rs and redoing everything with Eibach, I have never used Eibachs before , just H&Rs and they always worked great and comfortable, not now though, now the car is a bit harsh. Dawson here in Miami was very kind to offer to lend me his MB spring compressor to redo the job myself, and I am tempted, and scared ( never done that job before)
, so if you guys stop seeing my posts , look for me somewhere with a spring attached to me !
Old 03-24-2008, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Originally Posted by maxwerks
Jimmy , I havent really driven the car that much at all since the install . It is being wet sanded and I am doing a custom job on the front bumper and I am working on that. I have an 08 E350 which is getting a lot of driving time! ( not a bad car at all BTW ) Some people said it will settle and some said it didnt at all ...I kept the #3 in the rear ( new pad though ) , to be on the safe side , and to also I didnt want the car to level, I wanted it to be raked ( I have done that on other MBs and it worked great ) . The fronts have #2 ( mistake ) and I guess should have had #1. but thats only 4mm lower , and now it looks stock in the front ( No drop ! ) . Now I am contemplating either doing the #1 for the fronts, or just scrapping the H&Rs and redoing everything with Eibach, I have never used Eibachs before , just H&Rs and they always worked great and comfortable, not now though, now the car is a bit harsh. Dawson here in Miami was very kind to offer to lend me his MB spring compressor to redo the job myself, and I am tempted, and scared ( never done that job before)
, so if you guys stop seeing my posts , look for me somewhere with a spring attached to me !
Well, I would go with #2 pads in the rear and #1 pads in the front for starters and then drive the car around for a few weeks and let the springs settle, they WILL settle but how much who knows.

If and once they settle it's still too high for you, swap out the H&R's for some Eibach Pros, I love these springs.

If you have a spring compressor and somewhat mechanically inclined the job is fairly easy. You only need the compressor for the front and as long as it's on there nice and snug, no worries. In the rear, if you just remove the bolt on the arm holding the shock with a jack underneath it, you can lower the shocks and pull the springs out very easily and safely.

Good luck man!