W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60

how often do u drive in manual mode..?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2008 | 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB, BMW
how often do u drive in manual mode..?

recently i've been driving in 'manual' mode a lot, it's not perfect & there is noticeable delay in shifts, but it is so much more fun and i dont have the granny computer kicking in and upshifting waaay too early. plus staying above 3-5k rpm just brings out the beast out of the 5.5L. full auto mode, i tend to get lazy and drive like a grandma..

yeah wgaf about gas prices right??
Old 03-26-2008 | 12:42 AM

2008 W211 E63
I hear ya on this. Typically I only bust out the stick when I want to get nasty . Otherwise the automatic works pretty well.

I have noticed that when I punch it once or twice and the back off, the engine will stay revved high (above 3K RPM) until i really slow it down with the brakes. Makes passing real nice on the freeway and city streets especially nice without having to mess around with the manual mode.
Old 03-26-2008 | 02:11 AM

2000 E55 AMG
Aside from a high speed winding road run , I prefer the automatic mode. With a well trained adaptive transmission, manual mode is almost useless.
Old 03-31-2008 | 01:39 AM

2000 W210 E55// 2007 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner
sometimes I use the manaul to set my friend up in his 911, i put it in second so when he punches his...I'm already there~
Old 03-31-2008 | 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63 AMG
Tacjam - hahaha nice..
Old 04-02-2008 | 02:30 AM

2000 E55
Thumbs up

sometimes I use manual mode when I really need to get around cars on the local streets, when everyone around here seems like they are sightseeing and you end up missing all the lights. but you need to understand how to use it. it's like the force.

On the highway I use it if I am racing up to a few cars that are blocking the lanes and instead of applying the brakes which tells your car you want to slow down, I shift into 3rd which naturally slows down the car and then as soon as you get an opening you can punch it and you don't have the delay of the automatic... but then after I punch it I usually just shift it right back into drive. just my two cents.

If I am starting from the line or about to leave someone in the dust or racing I will never use it. there is a switch under the gas pedal which is activated when you push the pedal to the floor and it tells the car to give it all she's got! at that point manually shifting will slow you down. plus when you are WOT (wide open throttle) it is usually a good idea to have both your hands on the steering wheel.

also, if the K40 goes off I'll use it to slow down. this is very effective. because the guy you just left in the dust will NOT see your brake lights and will NOT slow down and after you pass the cop, your car will be slowing down but the cop will NOT see your brake lights. at this point the rice rocket that just caught up to you will have seen the cop, hit the brakes, and most likely be the one to get pulled over. not to mention you are driving a four door sedan made by mercedes benz and the schmuck you were racing is NOT. also if you are on the highway and thinking about giving the old WOT, I usually will set the cruise control for the speed limit. With the cruise control set if you drop it into third after seeing a cop the car will slow down until it reaches the speed limit at which time it will maintain that speed. I find this particularly helpful when you are racing on the highway for these simple reasons. A) you're racing, so your heart-rate is probably already jacked up and B) you just passed a cop going 100 in a 65 mph zone, the last thing on your mind is "Hmmm, let me set the cruise control for the speed limit". So if you follow these simple steps you will be prepared for anything and hopefully maintain a clean driving record. or I could just be crazy

and lastly sometimes after a car wash or cleaning the wheels I will use it to slow down and minimize the break dust. probably not the smartest idea.....