Sponsored by:

First oil change for new E55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SL65l
First oil change for new E55?

My 2002 E55 now has 5650 miles. When would it be advisable to get an oil change? Should I wait for the scheduled service or get one sooner? I've heard some people suggest an oil change every 3000 miles is a good idea but I don't know if that would apply to my new E55 (which I would like to keep in the best shape possible). By the way, while I've had a number of first rate cars, the E55 is more enjoyable to drive than any of them.
Old 12-14-2002, 05:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Just change the oil now,the expense well justifies your peace of mind.I always change it in a new car ,regardless of what the manual says,it never hurts th have fresh oil in the crankcase.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
The FSS schedule is sufficient. However, if you want to change it more often that is up to you.

I believe in the technology and think the Mercedes recommended levels are just fine. Mercedes would not recommended it if not necessary and since the new cars are under warranty they would be shooting themselves if the cars needed to have the engines replaced due to oil failure.

That old adage or 'wives tale' of changing the oil every 3k miles will never go away.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:37 PM

I agree with Kev.
Think about it from this perspective: MB has a warranty obligation to take care of the car for at least 3 years.
It is in MB's interest to make as sure as possible that the car does not require expensive service repairs during that time, so they should be setting the bar as low as possible to minimize their own risk.
That is, they'll not err on the side of fewer vs more oil changes if they have any inkling that this will adversely affect the car's maintenance requirements.
As such, their published recommendations should be trustworthy.

But...certainly nothing wrong with extra oil changes if it makes you sleep better. Just don't feel obligated.
Old 12-24-2002, 04:11 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 E430 Sport
Change it now

Change it now but buy the oil and bring it with you (my dealer's suggestion). Otherwise, they rape you at over $10 / quart.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:30 AM

1993 MERCEDES BENZ 300TE
The recommended intervals are fine.
I wouldnt change earlier....its wast of money.
The 3k oil and filter changes are a thing of the past.
Old 12-24-2002, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
I had this exact conversation with the service department at my local dealer about 12 months ago.
It is not a technology issue, it is a marketing one, the increased service intervals that result from the new system equating to reduced running costs. Since the introduction of the increased service intervals there has, according to my dealer, been a significant increase in warranty claims. EVERY car that i have prurchased prior to the MB has required n oil change after break in.
It is not an old wives tale to change oil on a new motor after 1000 miles. After break in period there are quantities of metal particles from the break in process, now circulating the engine. A special blend of oil is also usually used.
On our SLK we had the oil changed after the running in period 1500km. I do not regret spending the money and consider it a wise investment.
Old 12-25-2002, 02:01 AM

E55
Originally posted by stephens
I had this exact conversation with the service department at my local dealer about 12 months ago.
It is not a technology issue, it is a marketing one, the increased service intervals that result from the new system equating to reduced running costs. Since the introduction of the increased service intervals there has, according to my dealer, been a significant increase in warranty claims. EVERY car that i have prurchased prior to the MB has required n oil change after break in.
It is not an old wives tale to change oil on a new motor after 1000 miles. After break in period there are quantities of metal particles from the break in process, now circulating the engine. A special blend of oil is also usually used.
On our SLK we had the oil changed after the running in period 1500km. I do not regret spending the money and consider it a wise investment.
I agree with you 100%. Especially the change after break-in. I do think that with good synthetic oils, 3K changes are probably not necessary since the oil does not break down like dinosaur oil, but- contamination is still an issue. I split the difference and typically change the oil/filter every 5K miles. The small cost of this to me is justified as the oil always looks like crap at this point and I personally would not want to go another 5K miles on it.

I think a major reason for car manufacturers extended drain intervals is environmental issues and perceived "cost of operation" issues. Just my opinion.

Phil
Old 12-25-2002, 02:08 AM

2007 SL65l
Speedee Lube vs. dealer for oil change?

For a basic oil change, is it safe to take a 2002 E55 to Speedee Lube (or equivalent), as opposed to a Mercedes dealer? Speedee Lube is much more convenient - they do the oil change while you wait. But if there is something about the E55 that their workers might be unfamiliar with, could that be a problem?
Old 12-25-2002, 02:19 AM

E55
Re: Speedee Lube vs. dealer for oil change?

Originally posted by larkave
For a basic oil change, is it safe to take a 2002 E55 to Speedee Lube (or equivalent), as opposed to a Mercedes dealer? Speedee Lube is much more convenient - they do the oil change while you wait. But if there is something about the E55 that their workers might be unfamiliar with, could that be a problem?
Changing the oil on the E55 is a piece of cake.

I got the oil siphon pump from Griot's Garage and a platic wrench for the oil fitler cartrige cap. It takes about 15 minutes to do the entire change with not even getting your hands dirty.

Remove the filter cap first. Then stick the siphon tube down the dipstick hole, pump the handle and wait till the oil is drained. Pop the new filter cartridge in after placing the little gaskets that come with it, pour in the new oil and you are done.

BTW, talked to one of the technicians at my local dealer, and he said that they also siphon from the dipstick tube.