Sponsored by:

Alternative toYellow Turn Signal Bulbs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E55, 2002 ML55, 2002 SL500, 2003 CLK55
Alternative to Yellow Turn Signal Bulbs

Osram makes a nice high quality alternative to the orange bulbs.
It's labeled "Diadem" and seems to be a metallic coating on the bulb. Gives a funky rainbow effect when you look at it. Rather than the "fried egg" look you get with the regular orange bulbs you get a bluish tinge in the lens. The neat thing is that the coating shouldn't start to crack as it gets older.
I know some BMW dealers actually carry these as a replacement but not sure if Mercedes does. I remember a UK lighting source that carries them but haven't ordered from them lately. Free shipping and prices weren't that bad.

Last edited by rennwerkes; 01-20-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Originally Posted by rennwerkes
Osram makes a nice high quality alternative to the orange bulbs.
It's labeled "Diadem" and seems to be a metallic coating on the bulb. Gives a funky rainbow effect when you look at it. Rather than the "fried egg" look you get with the regular orange bulbs you get a bluish tinge in the lens. The neat thing is that the coating shouldn't start to crack as it gets older.
I know some BMW dealers actually carry these as a replacement but not sure if Mercedes does. I remember a UK lighting source that carries them but haven't ordered from them lately. Free shipping and prices weren't that bad.
Turn signal are support to be orange & amber color, any other color will attract cops. You don't want to give them reason to pull you over. I got pulled over on my M3 for having whitish turn signal, he start looking at the rest of my turn signal & my tint & anything he can find to write you a citation.

They once pull my M3 over to measure the height of my car, something to do with the headlight minium to ground clearance. I was inches from getting a citiation. Cops are pig!! don't give them a reason to take your money.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG
Turn signal are support to be orange & amber color, any other color will attract cops. You don't want to give them reason to pull you over. I got pulled over on my M3 for having whitish turn signal, he start looking at the rest of my turn signal & my tint & anything he can find to write you a citation.

They once pull my M3 over to measure the height of my car, something to do with the headlight minium to ground clearance. I was inches from getting a citiation. Cops are pig!! don't give them a reason to take your money.
Sorry, I wasn't clear, these bulbs do blink orange when "on". One caveat about them, one of the two knubs on the base has to be ground off to be inserted into the bulb holder. I think it's supposed to be a Euro application. But I've never run into problems with them popping out. The base and the one knub keep it in securely.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Esh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
Doesn't Osram make these turn signal bulbs that blink orange? They should be available at most any parts store.

1156AST Silverstar Bulbs
Old 01-20-2009, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Esh
Doesn't Osram make these turn signal bulbs that blink orange? They should be available at most any parts store.

1156AST Silverstar Bulbs
Yup, they do but these are not prone to the coating cracking (at least I don't think they will)
http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=102
Old 02-03-2009, 05:07 PM

2002 E55 AMG
amber bulbs

I got some of these in my smoke lens bumper lights, and they are awesome. This place has a lot of good stuff! (I almost started whining about my inability to make my driving lights match my Xenon's but... ehhh... yeah.)

http://superlumination.com/images/au...194a_sv_wm.jpg

These are the ones I used for my turn signals
http://autolumination.com/images/aut...156cd_a_wm.jpg