Sponsored by:

Uneven tire wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 EVO X GSR
Uneven tire wear

So, my e55 unfortunately came without it's stock wheels. It has 17s from an e430, I think. So I lowered my car as soon as I got it and ever since have never been able to fix the alignment, it's lowered with h&r and koni's and stock pads. My question is would putting on 18s fix the tire wear problem? as I do drive a lot and am already on my second set of tires in the first year of ownership and about to get a third. I do drive my car pretty hard as in a lot of flooring it from a standstill and a lot of traveling rather quickly.

I haven't seen to many people complaining about camber/alignment issues and uneven tire wear so I'm guessing maybe since my wheels are smaller that is causing a problem...

Tire wear is on the inside of both rear wheels and then for the front driver side wheel there is excessive wear on the outside and on the front passenger side there is wear on the inside but not too bad.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2009, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
camber problems in the rear possibly but I'm clueless about the fronts.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Originally Posted by greg12m3
So, my e55 unfortunately came without it's stock wheels. It has 17s from an e430, I think. So I lowered my car as soon as I got it and ever since have never been able to fix the alignment, it's lowered with h&r and koni's and stock pads. My question is would putting on 18s fix the tire wear problem? as I do drive a lot and am already on my second set of tires in the first year of ownership and about to get a third. I do drive my car pretty hard as in a lot of flooring it from a standstill and a lot of traveling rather quickly.

I haven't seen to many people complaining about camber/alignment issues and uneven tire wear so I'm guessing maybe since my wheels are smaller that is causing a problem...

Tire wear is on the inside of both rear wheels and then for the front driver side wheel there is excessive wear on the outside and on the front passenger side there is wear on the inside but not too bad.

Thanks!
It doesn't matter what size tire you put on, it will not fix your tires uneven wear. You have an alignment problem and only an alignment will fix your problem.

I can tell you from experience that when I got my H&R spring install with pads#1 I didn't get an alignment done. I was waiting for it to settle some more but it never did. I only had about 3/4" drop front and 1" rear. The point is I driven over 15K mile in over 1.5yr and my tire wear out evenly, I didn't need an alignment. I got an alignment about 3 month ago and the tech told me it within spec.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 996 Turbo, 05 CLK55 AMG
+1...

Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG
It doesn't matter what size tire you put on, it will not fix your tires uneven wear. You have an alignment problem and only an alignment will fix your problem.

I can tell you from experience that when I got my H&R spring install with pads#1 I didn't get an alignment done. I was waiting for it to settle some more but it never did. I only had about 3/4" drop front and 1" rear. The point is I driven over 15K mile in over 1.5yr and my tire wear out evenly, I didn't need an alignment. I got an alignment about 3 month ago and the tech told me it within spec.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
Outside diameter of the tire is the same whether 17" or 18" wheel if you are sizing them correctly so that has no effect. Definite alignment issue. Get front camber bolts and hunter alignment and then see where you are at. It will be better. According to Luke at Tire Rack if you are lowering less than 1.5 inches then you do not need camber bolts or different rear arms. I did the front camber bolts anyway. That was with a conversation I had with him yesterday.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:52 PM

2008 EVO X GSR
Thanks for all the responses! and so quick too! I'm going to get my car re-aligned with camber bolts either tomorrow or monday.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:43 PM

e55 amg
camber bolts dont help you will need a kmac camber kit for front i had the bolts but didn't help much. I had to install kmac that was the only option i had or replace tires every 2 months. Its to bad speedy benz doesn't make a kit for the front his product is A+++++.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Originally Posted by MBZE55AMG
camber bolts dont help you will need a kmac camber kit for front i had the bolts but didn't help much. I had to install kmac that was the only option i had or replace tires every 2 months. Its to bad speedy benz doesn't make a kit for the front his product is A+++++.
How low did you drop your car? If you replacing tires every 2 months than something is seriously wrong with your suspension.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:15 AM

e55 amg
never had to replace tires i would have if i didn't put the kmac camber kit in for the front. The car is about 1/2 inch from tire to fender in front and a inch for the rear. My tires are wearing even for both kits installed handles awesome u would never know it a 4 door.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Originally Posted by ejsheltra
Outside diameter of the tire is the same whether 17" or 18" wheel if you are sizing them correctly so that has no effect. Definite alignment issue.
+1

The tire diameter is the same, regardless of the wheel size, assuming you have the right tires on. So that won't influence the ride height or suspension geometry.

However, if you're running 17s, they're probably narrow (I'm assuming the front and rear tires are the same size). You would definitely benefit in the traction department if you find a set of staggered 18" wheels like originally came on the car. This won't help with wear, but the car will perform a lot better.

While you're getting new tires, many places will give you a discount on an alignment at the same time.

So I lowered my car as soon as I got it and ever since have never been able to fix the alignment
Just to clarify, do you mean you haven't had a chance to take it for an alignment yet? Or you took it for an alignment, but they couldn't get it aligned to spec? If the former, you need to get it aligned when you get new tires, no question about it. If the latter, you probably need to look into the camber bolt option that was mentioned before (and can you post the alignment results?).
Old 08-04-2009, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
Greg12m3 - What was the outcome on your alignment issue? Going this Weekend to get mine done.

Back in factory spec's?

-Johnny
Old 08-04-2009, 06:24 PM

2008 EVO X GSR
Originally Posted by armaniE55
Greg12m3 - What was the outcome on your alignment issue? Going this Weekend to get mine done.

Back in factory spec's?

-Johnny
I got front camber/caster bolts from the dealership and ordered rear trailing arms from speedy benz (www.speedybenz.com). The dealership then installed everything as the dealership here is mod-install friendly and now my car handles amazingly!

All back in spec.

Yet I went over a pretty bad bump last nite and then wound up blowing up my rear driverside tire while peeling out so i'm going to get another alignment.

Here are a few pictures, you can kinda see the trailing arms.
Attached Thumbnails Uneven tire wear-33460018.jpg   Uneven tire wear-33460019.jpg   Uneven tire wear-33460015.jpg  
Old 08-05-2009, 12:36 AM

W210 E55, W211 E3504M, E90 325i
greg: Which dealership did you go to for your installs/repairs?
Old 08-05-2009, 01:40 AM

2008 EVO X GSR
Originally Posted by KL2DC
greg: Which dealership did you go to for your installs/repairs?
Euro in Bethesda. They have been good to me.

I would never buy parts there except like little clips and brake light bulbs. But on the service side I've been very pleased. They always take my car when I want them too and repairs usually never take more then a day, I'm always offered a rental car although i'm too young to legally take one and I always get a bottle of water and a little bit of assurance when I leave knowing I went to the dealer.

Most importantly they are "conscious" as in I tell them the car is being driven in such a way so please inspect it with this in the back of your head, and it seems they do because at 135k my car seems to be doing great, they have been taking care of it since 90k.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63 AMG
I got front camber/caster bolts from the dealership and ordered rear trailing arms from speedy benz (www.speedybenz.com). The dealership then installed everything as the dealership here is mod-install friendly and now my car handles amazingly!

All back in spec.

Yet I went over a pretty bad bump last nite and then wound up blowing up my rear driverside tire while peeling out so i'm going to get another alignment.

Ouch! Keep that ESP on or stay clear of curbs

Get er fix
Old 08-07-2009, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63 AMG

All back in spec.

Armani
Old 08-11-2009, 11:15 PM

2008 EVO X GSR

Armani
My steering wheel position sensor is broken so my esp is always fully off.... But I didn't hit a curb, I don't know how but the tire just came undone.... It was a kumho ecsta spt, after I wear through this set of them I'm never buying kumhos again.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63 AMG
Thumbs up

My steering wheel position sensor is broken so my esp is always fully off.... But I didn't hit a curb, I don't know how but the tire just came undone.... It was a kumho ecsta spt, after I wear through this set of them I'm never buying kumhos again.
Grab a set of these... Unbelievable Tires...

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=false&cs=275

Reviews alone make them a easy choice.. plus they look bad as@

Armani
Old 08-12-2009, 12:45 AM

2008 EVO X GSR
Grab a set of these... Unbelievable Tires...

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=false&cs=275

Reviews alone make them a easy choice.. plus they look bad as@

Armani
I definitely will next time! 400 for the rears? Thats pretty cheap, I thought invos would be a lot more, I only paid 40 less for the kumhos and their terrible.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63 AMG
Thumbs up

I definitely will next time! 400 for the rears? Thats pretty cheap, I thought invos would be a lot more, I only paid 40 less for the kumhos and their terrible.
Exactly..cheap and very sticky when they warm up.. Excellent tires for the money..... I'll post another review after a few months of driving 5k to 10k

Armani
Old 08-12-2009, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Exactly..cheap and very sticky when they warm up.. Excellent tires for the money.....
Can you compare them to any other tire you've run? Like, are they stickier than a General UHP, Kumho MX, etc.?
Old 08-13-2009, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63 AMG
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by saintz
Can you compare them to any other tire you've run? Like, are they stickier than a General UHP, Kumho MX, etc.?
Hey Saintz

I can only compare them to Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 on this car. As these are the only tires I've ran. So with that in mind I would say that they are defiantly up there in performance wise and very sticky once they get warm 0-60 you can barely hear them chirp. Very satisfied and will buy again. Not worried about constantly pushing them from stop n go as the price point is great...kinda like 2 tires for the price of 1 PS2

Armani