W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me remove the glove compartment - DETAILS!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E55
Question Help me remove the glove compartment - DETAILS!

Preamble:

1. I merely want to replace the cabin air filter on my W210 E55.

2. I have searched and read every Mercedes oriented forum on this topic.

3. I have removed every screw and pulled down, down and out, out and down and directly out.

4. I have protected the wood trim and pried down on the upper lip of the glove compartment with a scraper tool as I pulled down, out, etc.

5. I have looped a piece of wire through the latch of the compartment and pulled down, out, etc.

6. I have made numerous little mars and scrapes in the material of the glove box as I have completed steps 2-4.

That being said - can someone please give some real detail about how to get the glove box out? I have the filters in hand and can not get the box out to save my life. Pictures would help. Links to the various threads out there will not help as there seems to be a missing step.

Anyone?
Old 04-07-2009, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg/...w210-help.html
Old 04-07-2009, 10:08 AM

2002 E55
Have seen that thread (and six others).

I understand - pull hard. WITH WHAT? Nothing to hold onto. Nothing to grab. My fingernails aren't three inches long with a curve on the end. I do have a metal right angle hook tool - got behind the top fascia of the box insert - could not pull hard enought to get it down and out.

Point of my post - there is always a trick to these things. Is there any way to reach around from underneath and pop it out from behind? Is there a tool that runs the length of the box and levers the entire top down at once to avoid breaking the lip (hmm.....maybe that is a business to start). Anything to keep me from further hacking my glove box to shreds?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
The trick is to pay to have someone else do it while you watch how they do it. It can't cost that much.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by MRB1717
Have seen that thread (and six others).

I understand - pull hard. WITH WHAT? Nothing to hold onto. Nothing to grab. My fingernails aren't three inches long with a curve on the end. I do have a metal right angle hook tool - got behind the top fascia of the box insert - could not pull hard enought to get it down and out.

Point of my post - there is always a trick to these things. Is there any way to reach around from underneath and pop it out from behind? Is there a tool that runs the length of the box and levers the entire top down at once to avoid breaking the lip (hmm.....maybe that is a business to start). Anything to keep me from further hacking my glove box to shreds?
Have "no fear" and reread this,
https://mbworld.org/forums/2851041-post7.html
Old 04-07-2009, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
When all else fails......
Attached Thumbnails Help me remove the glove compartment - DETAILS!-3694090.jpg  
Old 04-07-2009, 04:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E55 C43 993C2S
Originally Posted by C43AMG
When all else fails......
Attached Images  

Trending Topics

Old 04-08-2009, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 E55, '03 Z4
Folks,

I had the same issues with the slight difficulty in removal. After taking the screws out, I used the palm of my hand on the bottom of the door, pulling sharply outward and upward, from the bottom.

You'll find the two filters behind a small door. They're a pretty snug fit. Mark the mileage and date on the tag that comes with the filters and place it there for future reference. Also, mark it down in your service manual.

After removal, you'll notice the tabs on top that one of our members chose to trim. I considered and decided against as I thought it may contribute to future squeaks developing, but to each his own.

I did this a couple of months ago and I'll try it again on a friends W210 in a week or so. I'll let you know if it works again.

Good luck.

Mike K.
Old 06-14-2022, 04:19 PM

W210 2.2CDI / S210 2.7 CDI
Originally Posted by MRB1717
Preamble:

1. I merely want to replace the cabin air filter on my W210 E55.

2. I have searched and read every Mercedes oriented forum on this topic.

3. I have removed every screw and pulled down, down and out, out and down and directly out.

4. I have protected the wood trim and pried down on the upper lip of the glove compartment with a scraper tool as I pulled down, out, etc.

5. I have looped a piece of wire through the latch of the compartment and pulled down, out, etc.

6. I have made numerous little mars and scrapes in the material of the glove box as I have completed steps 2-4.

That being said - can someone please give some real detail about how to get the glove box out? I have the filters in hand and can not get the box out to save my life. Pictures would help. Links to the various threads out there will not help as there seems to be a missing step.

Anyone?
It might be late, but may save time for others:
1. Hope you haven't forgot to unscrew upper screws from both sides of the light
2. Cover wood trim with something, so that you don't scratch it while prying.
3. Pry one of the top corners so that you can incert long flat screwdriver (see the image)

4. pull the corresponding side of glovebox (it will come off easy)
5. repeat on other top side.

Last edited by m.predeus; 06-14-2022 at 04:22 PM. Reason: attach an image