Sponsored by:

Oil burn off and tire and weird noise when starting question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 EVO X GSR
Oil burn off and tire and weird noise when starting question

My e55 is at 121k and doing very well with the exception that it burns a quart about every 1,000 miles. I drive the car pretty hard, a lot of 1st gear accelerating, and a lot of triple digit driving. I also have a leaking valve cover gasket but by the end of the month it will be repaired, the valve cover gaskets were both replaced at 93k and only the passenger side is leaking. BUT I'm concerned that I may have a more serious problem or if just the engine is old and the way it's driven especially with a mild leak is enough for 1qt per 1k miles. I use 0w40 Mobil 1.

Whats the best tire for wet driving? I have toyos t1rs now and am satisfied but just wondering.

Every morning I usually go out to drive for an hour or two before the day starts and since I have gotten my car back I hear a thud or a loud click when I pull out of my parking spot only when I have to turn out. If I parked in a place where I could go straight then there is no sound in the morning but maybe if I have to turn very hard or turn the wheel all the way. The car was recently in an accident but has been repaired. The only thing I have changed is the camber bolts. This noise only happens once and only on cold start ups. My transmission has been feeling a little stiffer and jerkyer but hasn't been slipping or anything like that, I changed my fluid and filter about 30k ago and plan on changing the fluid very soon but I don't think it is the transmission but thought i would mention.

and here are some pictures since I got it back
Attached Thumbnails Oil burn off and tire and weird noise when starting question-33460011.jpg   Oil burn off and tire and weird noise when starting question-33460009.jpg   Oil burn off and tire and weird noise when starting question-33460006.jpg   Oil burn off and tire and weird noise when starting question-33460005.jpg  
Old 04-20-2009, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
When you do the valve cover gasket check the vent system.
Oil burn off and tire and weird noise when starting question-pcv.jpg
if it is real wet inside this could be where your oil is going, as an engine wears some compression leaks serve to carry oil in to the induction system. Check blow by or leak-down test cylinders.

Wet tire I had good luck with Good Year F1 in the wet but they got loud at 8K

Rear end noise Check your CV joints.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 EVO X GSR
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
When you do the valve cover gasket check the vent system.
Attachment 154980
if it is real wet inside this could be where your oil is going, as an engine wears some compression leaks serve to carry oil in to the induction system. Check blow by or leak-down test cylinders.

Wet tire I had good luck with Good Year F1 in the wet but they got loud at 8K

Rear end noise Check your CV joints.
Thanks for you reply,

When it goes in for the gasket I'll tell the mechanic and ask him to check around to see whats going on, hopefully nothing but well see.

The noise I hear isn't from the rear it sounds from the passenger foot well. But I'll definitely, when it's brought in, also have that checked. But could you explain to me what happens to make that noise? I just like to have a better a understanding.