Sponsored by:

Quaife LSD's on sale for W210 E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 E55, Custom Turbocharged
Thumbs up Quaife LSD's on sale for W210 E55

Just a heads up on the Quaife LSD for our AMG's. Just picked one up myself and thought I'd pass on the news about the sale.

part no. 48.309.190 Mercedes W210 E55 AMG (210 axle) 2000-2002

$1,795.00 Normal Price

$1,395.00 Sale Price

Found at this link QuaifeUSA then click on the "News" link on the side NOT the application list. Or on the SALE link at the bottom of page

As they say, "Act quickly to take advantage of these specials. Prices are good only while quantities last." At least if you are thinking of getting one in the near future, now might be a good time to grab it.

Hope it helps someone else
Old 11-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good find bro!

Thinking of getting one. About how much was shipping and who's the carrier (fedex, ups ground etc.)?

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CLS55 Renntech stage 5, 04 CL600 ( will miss ),02e55 , 11 R350
Originally Posted by SilverarrowE55
Just a heads up on the Quaife LSD for our AMG's. Just picked one up myself and thought I'd pass on the news about the sale.

part no. 48.309.190 Mercedes W210 E55 AMG (210 axle) 2000-2002

$1,795.00 Normal Price

$1,395.00 Sale Price

Found at this link QuaifeUSA then click on the "News" link on the side NOT the application list. Or on the SALE link at the bottom of page

As they say, "Act quickly to take advantage of these specials. Prices are good only while quantities last." At least if you are thinking of getting one in the near future, now might be a good time to grab it.

Hope it helps someone else
I heard about the special last week and it is tempting, now there is a question ...would the LSD make a difference if the car is not supercharged ?
Or would a custom Torque converter yield more fun?? Just curious. Jam I know your car is a beast and I am sure the LSD will come in real handy, but what about the rest of us mortals??? Frankly after Kleemann changed their SC to the newer generation , the yield/$ is no longer viable, and I spoke with Corey last week and it doesnt look like it is possible for them to bring back the twin screw type even though he knows people would prefer that .
Old 11-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Out Of Control!

Max,

Doesn't matter if the car is supercharged or not. Goal of the Quaife LSD is to reduce the amount of wheelspin and get all that power to the ground. So if you're getting somewhat of a wheelspin right now this LSD would only help. Don't have any experience in torque converter so can't comment on that.

I've been running the Kleemann LSD for sometime now and the only reason why i'm considering this is because from what i understand after a while the Kleemann tends to "fade" since it's not true LSD. Quaife really is the better way to go but when i was in the process of getting mine i wasn't that familiar with Quaife. But again Quaife is the way to go.

Agree with the new gen s/c. BUT if you have an unlimited amount of $$$$$ maybe Cory can build you a TT? Although it'll probably cost more than your car to TT it. lol
Old 11-20-2008, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by JamE55
Good find bro!

Thinking of getting one. About how much was shipping and who's the carrier (fedex, ups ground etc.)?

Thanks for the info.
Shipping was UPS ground. Arrived in 2 days. Shipping cost $22.00. If you don't live in California, you won't have to pay tax I think...which cost $108.11. So my total cost was $1525.11 and it goes in this weekend if I can find the ring gear bolts in time.

Originally Posted by maxwerks
...would the LSD make a difference if the car is not supercharged ? Or would a custom Torque converter yield more fun??.
Yes, as JamE55 so aptly pointed out, the goal is to get the power and torque onto the road and that is what the Quaife or any LSD will help to do. Less wheelspin means less interference from the ESP and more forward momentum. I have had Quaife ATB LSD's in a few cars and love them. If you don't have all wheel drive, anything that helps your drive wheels hook up will be beneficial. And the Quaife is not noisy like some of the standard LSD's we used to run in 911's and M3's.

Torque converter mods were popular ways to multiply torque but they have a number of drawbacks, most of which won't be too much of an issue with the bomb proof E55 tranny. Did a bunch of Level 10 mods to Volvo's back before I had any gray hair

Since US market W210 E55's were not blessed with a LSD from the factory, a modified torque converter would be useless and definitely a waste of money before installing a LSD of some kind. We already have stump pulling torque... If you want fun, do burnouts with a LSD and leave TWO long black strips of melted rubber to impress the Honda crowd. We want to put that power/torque on the road and get You should also note much less ESP slapping you with its brake interventions when cornering hard.. as the saying goes "Hook and Book" An LSD is all about.. as Jam said, " get all that power to the ground".

I spoke with Corey last week and it doesnt look like it is possible for them to bring back the twin screw type even though he knows people would prefer that .
It's a shame that Kleeman is getting by this change. They really need to rethink that.

Max,

Doesn't matter if the car is supercharged or not. Goal of the Quaife LSD is to reduce the amount of wheelspin and get all that power to the ground. So if you're getting somewhat of a wheelspin right now this LSD would only help.

Quaife really is the better way to go but when i was in the process of getting mine i wasn't that familiar with Quaife. But again Quaife is the way to go.

Agree with the new gen s/c. BUT if you have an unlimited amount of $$$$$ maybe Cory can build you a TT? Although it'll probably cost more than your car to TT it. lol
Couldn't agree with you more Jam.

TT... that sounds fun... unless you have unlimited funds, you might want to leave that to someone else...then when the guinea pig is done maybe he/she will share the knowledge. That will be the true way to insane power... the question is COST and will enough people be willing to pay for a mod like that on a W210 E55 to make it viable for someone to jig a setup... Time will tell...
Old 11-20-2008, 03:53 PM

2000 E55 Tectite Gray
Any chance you could take some photo's of the installation?
I'd be very interested to see what's involved.
Thanks!
Max
Old 11-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Out Of Control!

Shipping was UPS ground. Arrived in 2 days. Shipping cost $22.00. If you don't live in California, you won't have to pay tax I think...which cost $108.11. So my total cost was $1525.11 and it goes in this weekend if I can find the ring gear bolts in time.
As much of a good deal this is i think i'll wait on it. Talked to another member who has this and was told he didn't notice a difference between this and a Kleemann LSD.

as the saying goes "Hook and Book" An LSD is all about.. as Jam said, " get all that power to the ground".

It's a shame that Kleeman is getting by this change. They really need to rethink that.
Rethink the new get s/c?

Couldn't agree with you more Jam.

TT... that sounds fun... unless you have unlimited funds, you might want to leave that to someone else...then when the guinea pig is done maybe he/she will share the knowledge. That will be the true way to insane power... the question is COST and will enough people be willing to pay for a mod like that on a W210 E55 to make it viable for someone to jig a setup... Time will tell...
Money talks. No unless again funds are unlimited.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:22 PM

01 E55 AMG
I am irritated to find that are cars don't have a limited slip dif from the factory!!! $70K+ sticker and no LSD in an AMG.

Now that I am over 400 HP I imagine that I'll have to buy one of these as well. Wish I could get in on this deal, but I broke the bank on the mods. It's kind of funny, when I bought the car I had promised myself not to modify. I owned the car less than a week and drove less than 75 miles before Vadim picked it up and brought it to the shop in Costa Mesa.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by gandalfthegray
Now that I am over 400 HP I imagine that I'll have to buy one of these as well.
It will only help.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:39 AM

As much of a good deal this is i think i'll wait on it. Talked to another member who has this and was told he didn't notice a difference between this and a Kleemann LSD.
Well this was a thread just to inform people of the sale that I had seen. Whether or not you want one or not is your perogative.

The difference between a normal clutch type LSD such as the Kleeman that you refer to and a torque biasing LSD such as the Quaife that I referenced is well known and if you are interested in learning about the technological/mechanical differences, you can google it and find all manner of data, empirical and anecdotal, as well as bench racer assumptions. Discussions of the technology and benefits of an ATB LSD vs. clutch type differentials is material for a whole new thread if it hasn't already been discussed at length here on MBWorld.

Rethink the new get s/c?
I'm sorry I don't understand that sentence/question. Is "get" an acronym?

In my original post, I was referring to the "hammering" that Kleeman is taking on a multitude of international forums for its change in supercharger supplier/technology and the subsequent reported decline in dyno tested hp numbers. Not an argument that I have any interest in since I have no interest in Kleeman personally. I am a disciple of the Church of Turbocharging. You may already be aware of the war between the adherents of the two factions of these two churches, Turbo's and the Super's which are just two sides of the same religion: Forced Induction. No pun intended

I am irritated to find that are cars don't have a limited slip dif from the factory!!!
+1
I find it ironic that 20-30 year old Alfa Romeo spiders came stock with clutch type LSD's and most modern "sports cars" merely rely on sensors and "anti-slip programming" to achieve mechanical grip. Further irony is found in the fact that even with a new 2008 Porsche 911, a limited slip is a $960 optional performance extra....I thought I was buying a sports car now I need to pay EXTRA for a standard performance enhancing mechanism? Where is the justice in this world? !)&#@% accountants have cut all the corners they can and left us with the bill for any "extras". Sorry, I'm goin way on this "sale notice " thread.

It's kind of funny, when I bought the car I had promised myself not to modify. I owned the car less than a week and drove less than 75 miles before Vadim picked it up and brought it to the shop in Costa Mesa.
Join the club. I pulled the E55 out of storage as a "gift" for my wife so that she could safely transport our new son.... I'm heading down to see Vadim in a week or two. Already paid for the headers, etc. that we are gonna do. Was waiting for the HRE's that went on yesterday to arrive before I scheduled my trip down to SoCal. I too share the "modder's disease". Good thing I have a supportive wife or I'd be in the doghouse for sure.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Out Of Control!

Well this was a thread just to inform people of the sale that I had seen. Whether or not you want one or not is your perogative.
Understood and again thanks for pointing out a great deal.

The difference between a normal clutch type LSD such as the Kleeman that you refer to and a torque biasing LSD such as the Quaife that I referenced is well known and if you are interested in learning about the technological/mechanical differences, you can google it and find all manner of data, empirical and anecdotal, as well as bench racer assumptions. Discussions of the technology and benefits of an ATB LSD vs. clutch type differentials is material for a whole new thread if it hasn't already been discussed at length here on MBWorld.
This was explained to me a longtime ago (which now i understand) but at the time of my upgrades the Kleemann LSD suited my budget although i should've really considered the Quaife.

I'm sorry I don't understand that sentence/question. Is "get" an acronym?

In my original post, I was referring to the "hammering" that Kleeman is taking on a multitude of international forums for its change in supercharger supplier/technology and the subsequent reported decline in dyno tested hp numbers. Not an argument that I have any interest in since I have no interest in Kleeman personally. I am a disciple of the Church of Turbocharging. You may already be aware of the war between the adherents of the two factions of these two churches, Turbo's and the Super's which are just two sides of the same religion: Forced Induction. No pun intended
Sorry was typing too fast and meant that as "Gen" (as in generation) s/c.

Understood and agree. It's just sad that the mfg of the original twin-screw technology went out of business and Kleemann still wants to offer a s/c kit. Only problem is it doesn't perform as well as the first gen kit. If you're the disciple of the Church of Tubocharging then i'm the advocate of F/I.

Join the club. I pulled the E55 out of storage as a "gift" for my wife so that she could safely transport our new son.... I'm heading down to see Vadim in a week or two. Already paid for the headers, etc. that we are gonna do. Was waiting for the HRE's that went on yesterday to arrive before I scheduled my trip down to SoCal. I too share the "modder's disease". Good thing I have a supportive wife or I'd be in the doghouse for sure.
Which HRE series did you get? I'm guessing 19"s? And what other mods do you have besides the headers?
Old 11-21-2008, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CLS55 Renntech stage 5, 04 CL600 ( will miss ),02e55 , 11 R350
Silverarrow, did you get the High flow manifolds from Vadim? What else did you get ? I ordered the ECU upgrade, the SL55 Air intake box, and the underdrive pulley, I also just received the High Flow cats from Kleemann , hopefully they will go on next week...it will be great if we can compare notes .
AND I would love to know more about your Turbo Charging quest. After speaking with Corey at Kleemann , it doesnt look that they CAN bring back the 1st GEN SC, as Jam said , the manufacturer is no more...Vadim was looking into some other options for us....But I havent heard anything yet. I am sure that Turbo charging is terrific ...I am assuming that the Vadim Headers you got , are also suitable for your upcoming Turbos right?
Cheers,
Max
Old 11-21-2008, 10:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Just wanted to share some info...

I went from kleemann LSD to quaife LSD (my kleemann is up for sal eif anyone wants to make an offer). I honestly have not noticed a major difference yet. Actually, if you didn't tell me the diffs had been changed I would have never known. I haven't driven it much after the quaife but after a short drive last night I noticed that when the tires spin with the quaife LSD it still kinda tracks straight but with the Kleemann it used to go a little sideways. I only noticed this once but will be bale to provide more info, ther more miles I put on it.

About the torque converter... I had mine done. I honestly liked the stock converter better. The loose converter just feels laggy until the converter locks up. Should be great for drag racing but I liked it stock better for daily driving
Old 11-21-2008, 11:57 AM

2001: Supercharged E55 AMG

Understood and agree. It's just sad that the mfg of the original twin-screw technology went out of business and Kleemann still wants to offer a s/c kit. Only problem is it doesn't perform as well as the first gen kit. If you're the disciple of the Church of Tubocharging then i'm the advocate of F/I.
The truth is actually that Kleemann made an deliberate decision to change from 1:st generation twin-screw s/c to the Eaton/Roots because the manufacturer couldn't deliver the high level of s/c that Kleemann demanded back in those years. So they changed and made Eaton their supplier instead.
Really sad they acted that way

The source is Kleemanns chief technician in Denmark when I spoke to him when I was there this summer.

Magnus
Old 11-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by ABALONE
The truth is actually that Kleemann made an deliberate decision to change from 1:st generation twin-screw s/c to the Eaton/Roots because the manufacturer couldn't deliver the high level of s/c that Kleemann demanded back in those years. So they changed and made Eaton their supplier instead.
Really sad they acted that way

The source is Kleemanns chief technician in Denmark when I spoke to him when I was there this summer.

Magnus
Actually, autorotor (supplier of the original sc) went out of business. AT leats thats what I was told by a very credible source
Old 11-21-2008, 12:57 PM

2001: Supercharged E55 AMG
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Actually, autorotor (supplier of the original sc) went out of business. AT leats thats what I was told by a very credible source
Yes, thats true. But I's not the reason that made Kleemann change to Eaton. Occording to Kleemann themself they (Autorotor) couldn't deliver the amount of s/c that Kleemann wanted. Thats what Kleemann in Denmark told me themself.

Magnus
Old 11-25-2008, 10:02 AM

Which HRE series did you get? I'm guessing 19"s? And what other mods do you have besides the headers?
19" 843R's in 19x8.5 and 19x10. Answer regarding mods below...

Silverarrow, did you get the High flow manifolds from Vadim? What else did you get ?
AND I would love to know more about your Turbo Charging quest.... I am sure that Turbo charging is terrific ...I am assuming that the Vadim Headers you got , are also suitable for your upcoming Turbos right?
Cheers,
Max
I picked up the VRP 400 group buy. As to what will be usable in my quest for turbo charging... I am staying quiet about my mods until we are done. I'll post the "works" then. until then..."I know nothing"
Old 11-25-2008, 10:27 AM
Out Of Control!

19" 843R's in 19x8.5 and 19x10. Answer regarding mods below...
Sweeet!!

I
picked up the VRP 400 group buy. As to what will be usable in my quest for turbo charging... I am staying quiet about my mods until we are done. I'll post the "works" then. until then..."I know nothing"
Old 04-21-2009, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Thumbs up

I need to hangout here more often it seems some parts from the Beautiful W210 are in my W203 C32
Old 04-21-2009, 10:17 PM

2001 E55, 2002 ML55, 2002 SL500, 2003 CLK55
I am irritated to find that are cars don't have a limited slip dif from the factory!!! $70K+ sticker and no LSD in an AMG.

Now that I am over 400 HP I imagine that I'll have to buy one of these as well. Wish I could get in on this deal, but I broke the bank on the mods. It's kind of funny, when I bought the car I had promised myself not to modify. I owned the car less than a week and drove less than 75 miles before Vadim picked it up and brought it to the shop in Costa Mesa.
I've got to agree.
If I'm not mistaken, every BMW M car comes with a LSD and even some that aren't M models have it as an option.
For the kind of money AMG's command they should come stock.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:52 PM

99 E55 AMG
I know this might be a stupid question buuuuuuut, why don't they offer the LSD for the 99 W210's? Or does the 00-02 fit just the same?

Now they're $1,325.25
http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/prod/QDF7V