Sponsored by:

Wheel cleaner for track pad dust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 EVO X GSR
Wheel cleaner for track pad dust?

So i thought it would be a good to put hawke ht/10 track pads on my car and it has been great so far but they are very very messy. I drive a lot every day, over 100miles per day and so much dust accumulates by the end of the day, I try to clean the front wheels at least everyday but was lazy last week for 3 days and now have so much brake dust build up that after an hr per wheel 1/2 was still left and I pretty much just gave up.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean off heavy track pad dust or any types of wheel cleaners that are better than others for this?

Also I'm about to change my spark plugs, should I stick with oem or is there something better?

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2009, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
The only one solution i think is clean up your car every day :S hahaha you can use a meguiars wheel cleaner i think is not abrasive for your paint wheels and also is a exellent product

Fabio Daniel

Last edited by Fabio D; 07-30-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
Cool

Originally Posted by greg12m3
So i thought it would be a good to put hawke ht/10 track pads on my car and it has been great so far but they are very very messy. I drive a lot every day, over 100miles per day and so much dust accumulates by the end of the day, I try to clean the front wheels at least everyday but was lazy last week for 3 days and now have so much brake dust build up that after an hr per wheel 1/2 was still left and I pretty much just gave up.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean off heavy track pad dust or any types of wheel cleaners that are better than others for this?

Also I'm about to change my spark plugs, should I stick with oem or is there something better?

Thanks!
Hey Greg

If your looking to prevent brake dust your only solution is to go with Ceramic brake pads. I recently purchased Akebono Brake Pads and all I can say is WOW no more brake dust and the stopping power is defiantly noticeable. Only downside is that the pads do need to heat up a little. Other than that A+++ No more brake dust!

http://www.akebonobrakes.com/

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...rake-pads2.htm

Armani
Old 07-31-2009, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 EVO X GSR
I'll try the meguiars wheel cleaner fabio, thanks.

I can't replace my pads with anything but these now, I can stop from 100-0 a million times and have no effect to my brakes, I mean I know there is but the stopping power and consistency with these pads is amazing! Because it's nice to out break someone in a 4 door sedan into a turn.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
You may want to try cleaning the wheels withteh P21S Wheel Gel. Once they are clean you can seal them with any decent paint sealant. The Klasse SG is a solid choice. The wheels are flat, should it's easy to apply and easy to remove considering it can be a PITA the remove if applied to thick.

After your run you should be able to rinse the wheels clean and wash with car wash soap and a soft brush
Old 08-23-2009, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
I waxed mine recently with a basic carnuba wax. It made a huge difference in terms of brake dust clinging. The wheels just stay cleaner, and the dust that is there largely wipes off.

There are waxes specifically made for wheels. A sealant sounds like a good idea, too. I would try cleaning with something like Meguiars and then try waxing them.