Sponsored by:

bluish smoke

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 03:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
99 model w210 e55 amg
bluish smoke

hi guys! is it normal to have a small amount of bluish smoke coming from our exhaust when you floor the car to high rpm ? small amount of bluish smoke comes out of the exhaust when i floor the car but it goes away afterwards just small puff then its gone everytime i floor the car... car runs normal i have a kleemann headers 2.5 inchipings,primary and secondary cat deletes, H pipe and stock e55 muffler... does this mean im running lean or what?? the smoke goes away instantly it doesnt stay blowing bluish smoke... thanks
Old 08-06-2009, 03:04 AM

99 model w210 e55 amg
my friend whos driving hes car at my back was telling that everyti,e i floor the car lite bluish smoke comes out then stops right away
Old 08-06-2009, 03:20 AM

99 model w210 e55 amg
but on idle, city driving and hiway driving theres no smoke coming out of the exhaust only when i floor the engine . very little amount .. my friend said its normal could be carbon or some water moisture or beauce i dont go hi revs that much on the car .
Old 08-06-2009, 08:18 AM

99 model w210 e55 amg
anyone pls? its a very light bluish smoke. i nask my freind he told me to do a compression test.. how do we do a compression test? also i checked the oil level and still the same didnt burn oil... i just had my exhaust installed last saturday is there any effect thats why im having very light bluish smoke on full throttle?? the smoke is not big it a very little amount.. could it be bad piston ring,seal or valve seal/ how much for repair? thanks
Old 08-06-2009, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63S,2013 C63 AMG Coupe, 2002 C32 AMG (gone but not forgotten)
I think you're OK unless it also smokes under normal acceleration.

Probably some oil blow by making it into your exhaust stream past the rings. Given the age of your car, this is not an unusual condition.

Perhaps you could avoid "flooring" it excessively to prolong the life of the engine.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:41 AM

99 model w210 e55 amg
could it be possible that im using a thin composition of engine oil? can it be cured if i use a thicker viscosity of oil? so it wont zipped ino the rings?... and also what else can i do to fix it? how much will it cost to replace the rings and valve seals? thanks
Old 08-06-2009, 01:02 PM

99 model w210 e55 amg
also could it be bad? will it destroy the engine? will it hurt the performance of the engine? thanks
Old 08-06-2009, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Originally Posted by pinoyk20
is it normal to have a small amount of bluish smoke coming from our exhaust when you floor the car to high rpm ?
No

i have... primary and secondary cat deletes
That's a large part of your problem. Having a cat in there would probably, although not solve the root problem, at least get rid of the visible smoke coming out. I made a comment before about how removing your cats will make the car smell. Visible smoke can be another related side effect.

The blue smoke is oil. Your engine is burning it. That's somewhat normal with age. I wouldn't worry generally unless the engine is running rough, slow, or taking a lot of oil (i.e. quarts of it). Adding a cat back in won't solve the issue of your engine burning oil, but it will likely help to reduce the visible smoke you're getting.

Possible causes are most likely a piston ring or a head gasket (I would imagine head gasket, just a random guess). Again, I wouldn't worry about it unless the engine runs rough (damage), slow (loss of compression), or consumes quarts of oil.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450
could it be possible that im using a thin composition of engine oil?
Are you using Mobil 1 0w40?
Old 08-06-2009, 01:18 PM

99 model w210 e55 amg
thanks ive been using it for 4 mos now and it doesnt consume oil nor decrease power and also it runs strong and smooth. im just confused how it had the smoke...... and knda scared that i wan to get it fix asap.

about the smell honestly it doesnt smell bad. kinda hurt on the eye though heheheh

how much do you think will it cost me to get it fix? or just dont worry about it??? thnks
Old 08-06-2009, 01:19 PM

99 model w210 e55 amg
i think its another mobil oil with lighter viscosity..... can it be resolve if i chane to a thicker viscosity of oil? i lived in a hot and humid country
Old 08-06-2009, 01:22 PM

99 model w210 e55 amg
how muh for a headgsket? shouldnt it be overheating if i have a broken head gasket? thanks
Old 08-06-2009, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450
Check your manual for the recommended oil. If you're not running the recommended oil (should be Mobil 1 0w40, even in your region/climate) then you are running the wrong oil. That could very definitely be part of your problem. I would change your oil to the proper weight/brand ASAP.

I don't think you need anything repaired at this time. See if it still burns oil with the proper stuff in there.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:47 PM

99 model w210 e55 amg
thanks i wish the oil can fix the problem what viscosity of oil can you recomend? and alos can a valve clearance be a culprt? thanks
Old 08-06-2009, 01:48 PM

99 model w210 e55 amg
ill check my oil later and check what the dealer has used on the last oil change. thanks
Old 08-06-2009, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450
what viscosity of oil can you recomend?
Read your manual. It's probably Mobil 1 0W40.

and alos can a valve clearance be a culprt?
I'm going to change my previous thought that it's a weak head gasket and agree with Silver Metallic that it's probably piston rings and probably natural for this age engine. It could be a valve issue. Do you hear a ticking or valve clatter noise in the engine? I would still lean towards naturally worn rings, though.

First make sure you have the right oil before you pay a mechanic to do some expensive and probably unnecessary work.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:49 PM

99 model w210 e55 amg
thanks valves seems ok althou some ticking but sounds like its coming from the ignition coil.. not the valves. the valves sounds ok to me bt ill doublle check it.

hope tht the oil can fix the problem. would the worn ring hurt the engines performnce can it destroy the engine? thanks
Old 08-06-2009, 02:49 PM

99 model w210 e55 amg
thanks valves seems ok althou some ticking but sounds like its coming from the ignition coil.. not the valves. the valves sounds ok to me bt ill doublle check it.

hope tht the oil can fix the problem. would the worn ring hurt the engines performnce can it destroy the engine? thanks
Old 08-06-2009, 02:50 PM

99 model w210 e55 amg

Old 08-06-2009, 02:52 PM

99 model w210 e55 amg
sorry for the 3x post. my keyboard is going crazy tonyt hehehh
Old 08-06-2009, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450
There's a fuel check valve in the engine bay that makes a ticking sound and can be mistaken for valve tick. If you're staring at the engine bay, it's on the right side (the driver's side in the US) near the windshield washer reservoir.

A slightly worn piston ring will have a very small effect on performance. A severely worn piston ring might have compression and performance issues. If the car's still fast, it's probably fine. You can always check with a compression check if the car is running slowly.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
Pinoyk, if you run your car in a very hot climate change your viscosity grade for 10-30 or 15-50 (15-50 for my country) & your problem would be solved, the small viscosity range in a hot seasons turns the oil very liquidly & it evaporates filling your intake plenum with oil burning it by the the engine. you can solve that issue turning your viscosity range a little higher, in some cars in our workshop we need to replace the valve seals to correct that issue too, but is not a very common problem in the M113's.. & finally if you have a broken head gasket your car starts to misfiring a cylinder, mix water - oil, or you nee to filling your water reservoire frequently, really i think if your gaskets are fine.. that engines not broke the gaskets easly..

Change your viscosity oil & is recommended unmount your intake plenum to clean it up very good (i'm 100% sure that it have amounts of oil inside).. please close your intake orifices inmediatly, if you unmount the intake plenum to not made a desaster in your kind engine

Hope that help

Fabio Daniel
Old 08-06-2009, 10:19 PM

99 model w210 e55 amg
thanks i just check my water reservior and it hasnt change the level so i guess its not consuming water...

how do we check the conpression? is there a DIY i know how to do it in a 4 cyl engine with 2 sparkplug per cyl but in our engine im not sure having 8cyl and 16 sparkplugs.....

hi fabio so what viscocity do yo think will work? i really think its the oil or maybe the valveseal....
Old 08-06-2009, 10:35 PM

99 model w210 e55 amg
Originally Posted by saintz
There's a fuel check valve in the engine bay that makes a ticking sound and can be mistaken for valve tick. If you're staring at the engine bay, it's on the right side (the driver's side in the US) near the windshield washer reservoir.

A slightly worn piston ring will have a very small effect on performance. A severely worn piston ring might have compression and performance issues. If the car's still fast, it's probably fine. You can always check with a compression check if the car is running slowly.

just check it your riht its the fuel delivery thing which is making the ticking sound....

where can i buy a complete engine overhauling kit? im pplanning on changing the piston rings, valveseal oilseals headgasket etc... to make the car like new again and fresh for battle. heheeh and maybe getting some headworks like port and polish etc.......
Old 08-06-2009, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
thanks i just check my water reservior and it hasnt change the level so i guess its not consuming water...

how do we check the conpression? is there a DIY i know how to do it in a 4 cyl engine with 2 sparkplug per cyl but in our engine im not sure having 8cyl and 16 sparkplugs.....

hi fabio so what viscocity do yo think will work? i really think its the oil or maybe the valveseal....
No worry with the 2 sparks per cylinder, disconnect the crank position sensor (to not inject fuel & not have spark fires) unmount one spark only "per cylinder" & put the compressor test (cylinder per cylinder) but i'm pretty sure you no have issues with compression..

Clean your intake manifold i can recommend you this.. i'm certanly it have oil inside.

Whats the normal temp in your country? we have 30°c+ here & is recommenden hi viscositys, Mobil 15W50 Extened performance for us

change your viscosity range to 10-30, 15-50 depennding your normal temp & clean your intake manifold again! i'm sure if you use a low viscosity in h temps you have amounts of oil inside the plenum

Hope that help

Fabio Daniel

Last edited by Fabio D; 08-06-2009 at 10:48 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: bluish smoke