Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Out with the old, In with the new.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 EVO X GSR
I still don't know how to respond to multiple posts with quotes so....

Fabio - yes the m5 seems to me already after just looking at the engine bay that it's harder to work on, the engine looks lower and there is a lot less space around the engine than in the E55.

Armani - I won't be!, I've already blacked the grille and am going to put on x-pipe on in the next week or so.

Saintz - Unfortunately I can't remember my E55 too well when I got it at 82k, only 2k more than the m5. So my comparison is between a 2 year older and nearly twice the mileage E55 vs M5. The E55 passenger seat and drivers seats in my car over bumps would squeak but I was the only one in my car that would hear them, I would ask other people when I heard the squeaks if they did too and also got the response "what are you talking about?? I don't hear any squeaking?" So it must not have been too noticeable. Also in the rear something every now and then would make some squeaking noise. The m5 has no noises inside at all up to about 100 which is as far as I've taken it so far. The m5 also has less road noise but then again my E55 exhaust was loud so I might have be mistaking drone for road noise, the m5 exhaust is stock for now. But overall they are the same, for instance my mom said they she thought they were both equally nice, just the E55 had more space inside in the front. For build quality the m5 feels a bit more solid on the inside, my interior is flawless, even the dreaded cup holders are not broken. But my E55 had 4 owners before it while my m5 had only 2 which may have some affect, but I don't know. The E55 interior wasn't abused when i got it but the sunshade flaps were broken, the cup holder was broken, the steering wheel on top was worn out, and a few little other things but the leather and wood and more expensive things the inside were all in great condition probably about the same the as M5. Overall the M5 feels a bit more solid and as if it has more substance to it. Neither car has any real flaw that I see, mild little quirks but nothing that I would say is a flaw. As similar as these cars are they are very different. They remind me of the evo/sti rivalry but water down in a sense... Either way I think it's worth it so far, the M5 is a blast, I was probably to young to truly appreciate the "leaning backness" of the E55.

Ams - Will we ever know what is so special with these cars?! I can't put my finger on it but there really really is something about the E55 that I still feel I'm missing. But I may just be missing my car. And yes, bmw styling has totally gone to crap, I love the late 90s early 2000s cars, they all seem like they will be timeless classics!

Armani (2ndpost) - lol, I watched those videos a million times before I went to test drive M5s.

And to all change your primary cats for high flows! get rid of your second cats and the resonator! and leave your stock muffler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB0V7fed2lc

Last edited by greg12m3; 09-11-2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: proof read
Old 09-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by greg12m3
yes the m5 seems to me already after just looking at the engine bay that it's harder to work on, the engine looks lower and there is a lot less space around the engine than in the E55.
Haha, you have no idea. Now you will begin to learn the true definition of over-engineering. You will also appreciate Mercedes' simplicity a lot more once you start working on the BMW. But, they are still great cars and you made an awesome choice, I'd much rather have E39 M5 than the newer bodystyle M5.

Btw, personally I prefer the 540sport M-parallel wheels on the E39 body, you should def get those .
Old 09-11-2009, 04:04 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
13' E550, 14' Ram, 99' E39 wagon
That does sound nice!
Old 09-11-2009, 08:23 PM

W210 E55, W211 E3504M, E90 325i
greg, info on chapterfest can be found here:

http://www.nccbmwcca.org/

Sign up for BMWCCA, its worth the $40 per yr dues. You get the excellent Roundel magazine and the local chapter is really active socially, hosting many happy hour get togethers all over DC metro area (free food and beer!) You can easily get back your money's worth going to 1-2 of the happy hours lol

The local chapter of MBCA (GWS) can't compare.

Use me as a reference so I'll get a month free #364222
Old 09-11-2009, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
Originally Posted by AMS Performance
Haha, you have no idea. Now you will begin to learn the true definition of over-engineering. You will also appreciate Mercedes' simplicity a lot more once you start working on the BMW. But, they are still great cars and you made an awesome choice, I'd much rather have E39 M5 than the newer bodystyle M5.

Btw, personally I prefer the 540sport M-parallel wheels on the E39 body, you should def get those .
AMS i agree with you.,! The simplicityin the amg mercedes engines is very tru. but i have a good point to think, you talk about Over-Engineering & tis is tru again but you need to consider that the M5 E39 have a V8 90° (same as amg) but in a only 4.0 LTS engine produce 400hp's (100% volumetric eficcience) our cars have a 5.5 LTS engines & are not close to produce the phenomenal power produced by the M POWER engines

5.5 Lts 354hp's?? Yes the torque of our engines are phenomenal, but AMG can get more powr of our engines same as M POWER

Anyway the cost of the service & repairs in the M5 are biggest than the E55 cause the difficult to work on it! i remove the air box in the M5's 3 times & just say DAMN how much bolts!! all the car is more difficult to work than mercedes bt is a greate choise i think!

Fabio Daniel
Old 09-11-2009, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63 AMG
Cool

Originally Posted by Fabio D
AMS i agree with you.,! The simplicityin the amg mercedes engines is very tru. but i have a good point to think, you talk about Over-Engineering & tis is tru again but you need to consider that the M5 E39 have a V8 90° (same as amg) but in a only 4.0 LTS engine produce 400hp's (100% volumetric eficcience) our cars have a 5.5 LTS engines & are not close to produce the phenomenal power produced by the M POWER engines

5.5 Lts 354hp's?? Yes the torque of our engines are phenomenal, but AMG can get more powr of our engines same as M POWER

Anyway the cost of the service & repairs in the M5 are biggest than the E55 cause the difficult to work on it! i remove the air box in the M5's 3 times & just say DAMN how much bolts!! all the car is more difficult to work than mercedes bt is a greate choise i think!

Fabio Daniel

well said Fabio..well said...

Armani
Old 09-12-2009, 01:05 PM

2008 EVO X GSR
Originally Posted by KL2DC
greg, info on chapterfest can be found here:

http://www.nccbmwcca.org/

Sign up for BMWCCA, its worth the $40 per yr dues. You get the excellent Roundel magazine and the local chapter is really active socially, hosting many happy hour get togethers all over DC metro area (free food and beer!) You can easily get back your money's worth going to 1-2 of the happy hours lol

The local chapter of MBCA (GWS) can't compare.

Use me as a reference so I'll get a month free #364222
That sounds awsome! I'll definitely refer you and I'm pretty sure I'm going to register for chapterfest.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
the E39 M5 is 5.0L, not 4.0L. The new M3 is 4.0L and it has over 100HP/L (roughly 105HP/L).

The E39 M5 has a HP/L ratio of 80HP/L. The AMGs stock are roughly 63HP/L (if you can believe that haha). With that said its MUCH easier/cheaper to make power on the AMGs if you know how simply b/c they left so much room on the table and it has a big displacement advantage of a half liter. It doesn't take much but a few bolt ons to get close to 400HP.

I agree, bmw stock intake system takes forever to take apart compared to the AMG one which can come off in less than 20 seconds.

With that said, the HP comparison isn't fair simply b/c HP is a function of rpms and the more rpms you can spin the higher HP you can make but that's not necessarily a fair comparison b/c much more aggressive cams are used which give you more HP but sacrifice torque. If I had to chose between HP or TQ i'd chose TQ every time b/c its what wins in the real world. HP is just for bragging rights & road course track. AMG also realizes this which is why they don't waste their time with HP.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
Yeah you are correct it's a 5.0 my faul! anyway the engine performance for the M POWER engines supper the AMG perfoemance how it's possible that the E55 W211 kmpressor boosted engine not made the 100% of the volumetric eficience, ? is a supercharged engine (i drive my fathers car i really is an a beast) but considering its a boost engine compared to the M5 v10 are pretty close in a N/A engines.. where AMG remove the VARIO cams in our engine if this system works perfectly in the M119's?? (cost i know) compared to the M5 E39 with full 4 cams variable timing.. Really AMG can aproach more performance in this engines with some available parts/technology by the production date... anyway no worry about

OUR CARS KICK ***'s

Good choise greg really is a very good choise, you need to think in a competition clutch! is a common problem in this model & is not simply to change them!

Fabio Daniel

Fabio Daniel

Last edited by Fabio D; 09-12-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63 AMG
Cool

Originally Posted by AMS Performance
the E39 M5 is 5.0L, not 4.0L. The new M3 is 4.0L and it has over 100HP/L (roughly 105HP/L).

The E39 M5 has a HP/L ratio of 80HP/L. The AMGs stock are roughly 63HP/L (if you can believe that haha). With that said its MUCH easier/cheaper to make power on the AMGs if you know how simply b/c they left so much room on the table and it has a big displacement advantage of a half liter. It doesn't take much but a few bolt ons to get close to 400HP.

I agree, bmw stock intake system takes forever to take apart compared to the AMG one which can come off in less than 20 seconds.

With that said, the HP comparison isn't fair simply b/c HP is a function of rpms and the more rpms you can spin the higher HP you can make but that's not necessarily a fair comparison b/c much more aggressive cams are used which give you more HP but sacrifice torque. If I had to chose between HP or TQ i'd chose TQ every time b/c its what wins in the real world. HP is just for bragging rights & road course track. AMG also realizes this which is why they don't waste their time with HP.
Interesting indeed, So Once my car is complete with AMS Headers and High Flows how much HP / TQ do you think I can pull...

Ball Park? give or take?

Johnny