W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring broken!! so while its being repaired...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
r129 320sl, w210 E55, w126 300se
Spring broken!! so while its being repaired...

Somehow snapped a front spring on my E55 (2000 MY) while its being replaced I am doing both sides so the ride is even. My garage has suggested the front discs have a lip and so should be changed and that means pads as well. Its already getting expensive!! Is there anything else I should look at and change whilst all this is being done, not mega mechanical myself......... I am hoping that EBC do front discs and shall ring them tomorrow. QUESTION - has anyone had better luck with replacement front wings than the original ones. Mine need doing but if they just rust through again what is the point??
Old 12-15-2009, 01:11 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2011 G55 + others
your only option for the front discs is OE parts ... either from the dealer or from other websites such as rmeuropean.com. They run close to $250/eachr on a good deal. add a set of pads to that and you have yourself a hefty repair bill.

my oppinion is to keep running them untill they are bad ... assuming you have no messages popping up on your dash saying you need to replace the brakes, or any vibration when you brake.

front fenders you can go aftermarket or try to source some used OEM ones if you're looking to save a few bucks. Honestly, if you put on good ones now chances are you'll have to get rid of the car by the time they'll rust through again as the rest of the car will be rusted completely.

good luck.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CLS55 Renntech stage 5, 04 CL600 ( will miss ),02e55 , 11 R350
First, if you dont mind me asking .. how on earth did you snap the front spring?? The spring perches have to both be checked for rust..very important !! Also how it was snapped and where determines what else to check for.. check the rim on the side where it snapped for a dent .. the suspension.

I am assuming that by front " wings " you mean the brake rotors/ disks.. yes OEM is the way to go , and no the rust you see is surface rust and thats cast iron, that doesnt mean that they are rusted through.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:09 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2011 G55 + others
i think by wings he's referring to the front fenders.

as far as the spring breaking ... it probably rusted. it sounds like he lives in an area where there is snow.