Sponsored by:

Purchasing an 01 E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 01 E55
Question Purchasing an 01 E55

Hi all! I've been doing tons of research and have more or less decided on a car that I want locally - I am however concerned with some of the things that have shown up in the maintenance history on CARFAX.

The car is a two owner vehicle - I'd be purchasing from the second owner, with approximately 114,000 miles. The current owner of the car is very fastidious, and has all of the maintenance records of everything done under his ownership, including two transmission services, basic spark plug job, window regulators, serpentine belt, full brake job front & rear recently, etc etc. Visually, the car is in as close to perfect condition as I would expect for a car with the mileage.

Only problem it has is the well known pixel issue on the cluster, but aside from that, everything seems to operate as intended, and this being the 5th E55 I've looked at, it is by far the strongest one cosmetically and mechanically.

Now, I ran as I stated prior, I ran a Carfax report, and came upon these events in the history that has me somewhat worried:

05/02/2001 8,452 Service Facility
Computer reprogrammed
Engine/powertrain computer/module replaced
A/C and heating temperature control checked
Maintenance inspection completed

06/13/2002 26,115 Service Facility
Manufacturer's recommended maintenance performed
Engine checked
Drivability/performance checked
MAF sensor replaced
Fuel injector replaced
Fuel pressure checked
Radio/sound system checked
CD player installed
One tire mounted and balanced

11/12/2002 32,793 Service Facility
Alternator/Generator replaced
Tire condition and pressure checked
Electrical system checked
CD player installed
Oil and filter changed chassis lubricated

03/13/2003 38,820 Service Facility
Manufacturer's recommended maintenance performed
Drivability/performance checked
Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
Spark plug wires replaced
Brakes checked
Outside mirror replaced
Four wheel alignment performed
Maintenance inspection completed

I'm wondering... might any of these things indicate a potential problem this far down the line? The current owner has all receipts for work and reports no electrical issues other than the window regulator, and has no maintenance receipts for anything other than what I had described - which is basic W210 maintenance as I understand it.

I am very strongly leaning on going forward on this deal - my hedge being that all this work while within the warranty period has probably gotten the bugs out that were present to begin with.

Also, not sure if this is important - but it's a 10/2000 build date if I remember correctly...

Pull the trigger? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-19-2010, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Originally Posted by Interplexor

Pull the trigger? Thanks in advance!
Good Luck!
Old 01-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Looks like most of the maintenance has already been done, sounds like a good candidate. The pixel issue isn't that tough to fix and you can even DIY if you feel confident to do so.

Don't let mileage scare you off, its better to have a well maintained high mileage AMG, than a poorly maintained lower mileage one.

To be honest though the only thing that is concerning is the "two" transmission services. That could be a sign one of the clutch packs is starting to slip (most likely K3, 4th gear). Usually once people start doing tranny services (especially two), its a sign that the tranny isn't performing 100%. Sometimes a simple tranny reset will help alleviate this, other times not. Best thing to do is drive the car and see if it hangs/pauses slightly before shifts, if not then you are fine.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:47 PM

W210 01 E55
Originally Posted by AMS Performance
To be honest though the only thing that is concerning is the "two" transmission services. That could be a sign one of the clutch packs is starting to slip (most likely K3, 4th gear). Usually once people start doing tranny services (especially two), its a sign that the tranny isn't performing 100%. Sometimes a simple tranny reset will help alleviate this, other times not. Best thing to do is drive the car and see if it hangs/pauses slightly before shifts, if not then you are fine.
I think you've reassured me a bit here... the owner had no qualms about letting me drive it hard, and I certainly did so. I took it up to about 100 mph from a 10 mph rolling start on an onramp, and the trans seemed to perform pretty flawlessly.

The trans service - first one was done when he got the car at 58k miles, and was, to my knowledge, the first trans service the car received. He did another around 95k miles or so... if they'd both been in quick succession, that would signal a red flag to me, but the fact that the services are a few years and about 40,000 miles apart seems to reinforce that the owner is a maintenance junkie... exactly the kind of guy I want to buy a used AMG from!

I'm 90% on pulling the trigger. Now, when I say 90% I mean I've already decided, but I leave that 10% as a hedge in case martians land, pigs fly, or we have a collective meeting with the four horsemen of the apocalypse... so... barring any of that... I'll have the car in a few days and will report back!
Old 01-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Ok, that sounds much better then, a good 40k in between tranny services is just good maintenance, like you said if they were back to back, that would be bad.

Sounds like you've found a good one and done all the necessary homework, you should feel confident in your decision.

Hope that helps,
Old 01-20-2010, 08:31 AM

01' E Fifty Five
I would make sure your not paying too much for the car. E55's have dropped dramatically in price recently.

I'm currently selling my E55 with 106k on it just as meticulously maintained for $11,000.

Mine has all the rare options like bluetooth, heated AND ventilated seats, navigation etc.

Here's a link to mine. Compare and just make sure your not paying too much.

http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/1551205835.html
Old 01-20-2010, 10:15 AM

W210 01 E55
My price, as agreed to, is $12k... which is a little bit more than yours. Like your car, the one I'm getting has a bundle of rare options including the cooled ventilated seats, a factory wood steering wheel (never seen one on another E55), a professional aftermarket stereo (not too terribly important to me, the stock CD changer would've been fine - but, hey, I can connect my iPod now!), and is a garage kept California car its entire life without a spec of rust anywhere.

It's got the options and the color I want ... so, even though I know it's not a killer deal, it's a good car and I think the price is fair. What do you think?
Old 01-20-2010, 02:19 PM

01' E Fifty Five
Yea, seems like a good deal. It has 10,000 more miles but 12k is a fair price to me. I can't seem to sell mine back here on the east coast. Not as many people appreciate this car I guess.

Good luck, it's a fantastic machine. Go easy on the gas it'll get you in trouble!
Old 01-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Sounds like it has some nice options, take pics of the steering wheel when done, that's a really rare option.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:18 PM

W210 01 E55
Originally Posted by cneedham810
Yea, seems like a good deal. It has 10,000 more miles but 12k is a fair price to me. I can't seem to sell mine back here on the east coast. Not as many people appreciate this car I guess.

Good luck, it's a fantastic machine. Go easy on the gas it'll get you in trouble!
It's a niche machine. A regular E-Klasse buyer doesn't even look at an E55... my comparable cars when I was searching were an M5, a CTS-V and an RS6 if I could find one cheaply enough...
Old 01-20-2010, 08:19 PM

2001 E430, Obsidian Black w. Ash/Orion Grey, 195,000 mi.
My price, as agreed to, is $12k... and is a garage kept California car its entire life without a spec of rust anywhere.

It's got the options and the color I want ... so, even though I know it's not a killer deal, it's a good car and I think the price is fair. What do you think?
Is it (are you) in California? If so, what area? Just wondering if it's one of the ones that I've seen for sale here in the Bay Area recently. I agree that sounds like a fair price even though not a screaming deal. Most important part is that you know the history. Sounds like it has been well taken care of and, with reasonable effort, can go another 100K.

It sounds similar to my E430 which I bought 19 months ago at 104K from the second owner who had complete records from when he bought it. He had purchased the car as a CPO vehicle at the MB dealer and it had just run out of 7yr/100K mile Starmark warranty. Thus, the car had been religiously maintained and anything wrong had been fixed under warranty. Between 60K and 90K the car had needed significant repairs so maybe the guy was afraid to own it without the security of a warranty. Anyway, I've put 25K on it without an unusual number of problems. If you can DIY and don't have everything done at the dealer, you can have a very satisfying and cost effective ownership experience.

I say, go for it.

Fred
Old 01-21-2010, 01:44 AM

W210 01 E55
Originally Posted by fosmith
Is it (are you) in California? If so, what area? Just wondering if it's one of the ones that I've seen for sale here in the Bay Area recently. I agree that sounds like a fair price even though not a screaming deal. Most important part is that you know the history. Sounds like it has been well taken care of and, with reasonable effort, can go another 100K.
I'm located around the Saratoga area of the South Bay. If you were watching Craigslist, you would have seen this car listed a week or two ago with a bunch of not so great photos but a long description including the equipment list and so on. He was very firm in his price.

And I went for it.

All said, however, I should have gotten a pre-purchase inspection. There are some issues with the car up to this point. First and most concerning being that I have a suspicion that the wheel bearing on one of the front wheels is failing or failed... this didn't seem to be an issue on the test drive, as I thought it was tire noise. However, the noise increases... best described as a whoosh/whoosh with the rotation of the tires... and it increases under braking, when the front is under load.

I've also noticed on several occasions, there appears to be some sort of popping sensation from the suspension when I leave an intersection. I know the control arms and ball joints are original, and I think that I best get moving on getting this sorted out...

So... anyone able to recommend any good shops in the Sunnyvale/Mountain View area?

Second issue of lesser concern to me is.. the speedometer needle was sticking during acceleration at one point today. In frustration I banged my hand onto the dash above the cluster and that seems to have resolved the issue - for now. I know it'll come back to bite me. Smooth in deceleration, and jerky in acceleration - I took a video with my phone, but the quality isn't as good as it ought to be... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zCovKeiSw8

Anyone able to fathom a guess as to how much the suspension fixing will cost me?

Thanks in advance... photos tomorrow.

Last edited by Interplexor; 01-21-2010 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:51 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Sounds like lower and/or upper ball joints are going. The lower ones are piece of cake to swap out and cost next to nothing probably $100-150 total (something like that). The upper ball joints are built into the upper control arm and would require the entire control arm to be taken out.

This however may not be a terrible thing as it would be the perfect opportunity to put in new springs & shocks. So approach the shop saying you would like to do that and then say since those components have to be removed most of the time anyways if they can just put in new components instead (If you have a good relationship with your shop usually you can get away with this). This also would not be a bad time to adjust spring pad height as well (just a suggestion).

Might as well turn a problem into a good solution... two birds, one stone.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:51 PM

2002 E55 - Tectite
Palo Alto German Car

It's located on El Camino in Palo Alto and worth the trip.
Harold, the owner is a great guy and very trustworthy.
He's been working on Mercedes for a long time.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W211 E63
Nice find. May be I'll see ya crusing around on 85 or 87.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63 AMG
Cool

Originally Posted by AMS Performance
Sounds like lower and/or upper ball joints are going. The lower ones are piece of cake to swap out and cost next to nothing probably $100-150 total (something like that). The upper ball joints are built into the upper control arm and would require the entire control arm to be taken out.

This however may not be a terrible thing as it would be the perfect opportunity to put in new springs & shocks. So approach the shop saying you would like to do that and then say since those components have to be removed most of the time anyways if they can just put in new components instead (If you have a good relationship with your shop usually you can get away with this). This also would not be a bad time to adjust spring pad height as well (just a suggestion).

Might as well turn a problem into a good solution... two birds, one stone.

Congrats and Welcome ! +1 Do everything in one shot. Even if funds are tight it will be well worth it. (Save on the Labor) Shocks/Springs any front end work and top it off with an Alignment from the Dealer.

Speedometer needle - Never seen that one before you may want to post this issue in the reguluar W210 forum. Few Old Skool Guru's over there.

Are you planning on keeping her Bone Stock?

Lastly.... Pics!

Armani
Old 01-21-2010, 08:28 PM

W210 01 E55
In response to the demands for photos... I snuck out today while there was a break in the rain...

Old 01-21-2010, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63 AMG
Thumbs up

In response to the demands for photos... I snuck out today while there was a break in the rain...

Yup Bone Stock She looks great.. I have the silver as well.

um link for the shift knob plz

Armani
Old 01-21-2010, 08:45 PM

W210 01 E55
Originally Posted by armaniE55
Yup Bone Stock She looks great.. I have the silver as well.

um link for the shift knob plz
Shift knob came with the car.

Now, I think the prior owner is a member here, though unconfirmed... if Jim is watching, could you chime in and let us all know where you got the shift knob from?

I'm really happy with it. Only real complaint so far was the suspension noise, but... well... my suspicion about the wheel bearing may not be the case. I will know for sure tomorrow. I am having a full assessment of the car's health done, and a better idea of where the money needs to go...
Old 01-21-2010, 09:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E55 C43 993C2S
Congrats. I have the same year and color....
Old 01-21-2010, 10:57 PM
Esh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55

Driving gloves and a DROID mount...
Old 01-21-2010, 11:31 PM

W210 01 E55
Originally Posted by Esh
Driving gloves and a DROID mount...
No navigation - I need to know where I'm going one way or the other. At least that's the cover story I'll tell the police when I'm caught red handed checking my email... no doubt the condemnations will start en masse, but how many of you actually text and drive - and won't admit to it? It's a silly question.

I appreciate fine engineering, and fine driving machines... this is such a cut above my old BMWs that I don't know why I didn't do this sooner!

As Bubb Rubb says... !!!!!
Old 01-22-2010, 01:54 AM

W210 01 E55
Originally Posted by armaniE55
Speedometer needle - Never seen that one before you may want to post this issue in the reguluar W210 forum. Few Old Skool Guru's over there.

Are you planning on keeping her Bone Stock?
Banging on the dash above the speedo seems to cure it... happened again. I bet it's a lazy or sticking gear of some sort. My worry is that come summertime when all the plastic back there expands just a little bit... it'll rear its head in a big way...

As to keeping it bone stock? The only types of modifications I really see myself doing to the car are the type that would increase efficiency of the engine. If opening up the exhaust and reworking the intake will get me a few more MPG - without fouling the MAF more quickly - I might do it.

The car has enough power for me... for now. It's everything I wanted in a driving machine: Oodles of torque, respectable horsepower and fuel economy, craftsmanship in its construction (and another digression here: when I buy a car, a durable good by any measure... I expect it to feel like a durable good), and should in theory be more reliable than the BMWs I've been immersed in.

Time will tell if my assumptions play out...
Old 01-22-2010, 08:47 AM
Esh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
but how many of you actually text and drive - and won't admit to it? It's a silly question.
I'll admit, I used to with the BB because I could do it without looking, but not with the iPhone.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 E55
Very nice Congrats

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Purchasing an 01 E55