W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60

Rear clunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
13' E550, 14' Ram, 99' E39 wagon
Rear clunk

Ok, today it snowed here and I was on my way home and the traction control activated due to some ice on the road. Thought nothing of it, continued on my way but 5 minutes later I hear a loud clunk from the rear, like I ran over a rock or hit something under the car. I pull over, look around and all seems normal. i continue and I hear it again only not so loud. First thing that came to mind was the traction control activating itself from the icy roads. So i kept going and it did it again. Now i checked to see if the light went on in the dash but it didn't. the car didn't feel like it was braking itself either. i pulled over a seconf time to check to see if someone dumped a body in the trunk because it flet like someone was kicking in there, LOl.

I kept going and it would do it occasionally, speed didn't matter, braking didn't matter neither did acceleration.

When i stopped the second time I bounced the rear up and down to see if it was the suspension but it didn't make any kind of clunking, nor did it clunk when i hit bumps or dips in the road.

I recently did my flex discs and central support and bearing and i'm wondering if they were installed incorrectly? the car drives ok, tranny shifts fine, etc.

I've heard that bad motor mounts sometimes cause clunking but this sound was definitley coming from underneath the middle to rear of the car.. One thing i did notice was when i got on the gas kind of hard, the car jerked to the side a bit but no clunk.

I'm still trying to figure out the 60mph vibration, maybe this is related? differential?

help, I'm afraid to drive it
Old 02-16-2010, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Sounds like a rear diff issue, but hard to tell. Are there replaceable bushings in the rear diff? I've had cars before where the rear diff, under power, would hit the underside of the car and make a (harmless) thump.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 01 E55
I concur. I've had a rear diff go bad on another car, and just before it blew up (literally), it was making clunking noises like this...
Old 02-24-2010, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by nicobaires
Ok, today it snowed here and I was on my way home and the traction control activated due to some ice on the road. Thought nothing of it, continued on my way but 5 minutes later I hear a loud clunk from the rear, like I ran over a rock or hit something under the car. I pull over, look around and all seems normal. i continue and I hear it again only not so loud. First thing that came to mind was the traction control activating itself from the icy roads. So i kept going and it did it again. Now i checked to see if the light went on in the dash but it didn't. the car didn't feel like it was braking itself either. i pulled over a seconf time to check to see if someone dumped a body in the trunk because it flet like someone was kicking in there, LOl.

I kept going and it would do it occasionally, speed didn't matter, braking didn't matter neither did acceleration.

When i stopped the second time I bounced the rear up and down to see if it was the suspension but it didn't make any kind of clunking, nor did it clunk when i hit bumps or dips in the road.

I recently did my flex discs and central support and bearing and i'm wondering if they were installed incorrectly? the car drives ok, tranny shifts fine, etc.

I've heard that bad motor mounts sometimes cause clunking but this sound was definitley coming from underneath the middle to rear of the car.. One thing i did notice was when i got on the gas kind of hard, the car jerked to the side a bit but no clunk.

I'm still trying to figure out the 60mph vibration, maybe this is related? differential?

help, I'm afraid to drive it
Status?
Old 02-25-2010, 08:43 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
13' E550, 14' Ram, 99' E39 wagon
It did it very little 2 days after it started with nothing the day in between and now it's not doing it anymore at all.

I had it on a lift and we examined everything and all looks ok. I did find that the front control arm bushings are worn and one arm in the rear is bad also.

I also saw that the front flex disc was rubbing on the body of the car a little.

Someone suggested that my motor mounts might be going and that cause the driveshaft to offset causing the rubbing which might cause the vibration I get while going over 60mph? I didn't see any fluid coming out of the mounts though.

Waiting for the weather to clear to get things done
Old 02-25-2010, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nicobaires
It did it very little 2 days after it started with nothing the day in between and now it's not doing it anymore at all.

I had it on a lift and we examined everything and all looks ok. I did find that the front control arm bushings are worn and one arm in the rear is bad also.

I also saw that the front flex disc was rubbing on the body of the car a little.

Someone suggested that my motor mounts might be going and that cause the driveshaft to offset causing the rubbing which might cause the vibration I get while going over 60mph? I didn't see any fluid coming out of the mounts though.

Waiting for the weather to clear to get things done
Thanks for the update.. Great hopefully, all is well

*I also had to change a rear bushing. Pretty sure it's the same one you have to repair. My indy shop told me that the TQ puts a lot of strain on that bushing piece. Bought the part from Autozone after talking with Ohlord. At first my indy shop had told me that I needed to purchase the entire rear control arm

just an fyi --- Hopefully I can make the meet at NY

Armani