Sponsored by:

Dot Matrix near Rearview Mirror Needed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E55
Dot Matrix near Rearview Mirror Needed?

I am hard-wiring my V1 and I want it to be very flush with the mirror. As it sits right now, the radar seems to be getting echo noise from the matrix in front of it. I am considering removing an area of the dots.

What is the function of the dot matrix? Is it an antenna, heat/cooling diffuser or sun blocker?

Thanks.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
What exactly is the V1 doing? I have mine mounted inside the rear headrest covered by leather and foam and it works 100% fine (except for slightly reduced range). I could be wrong but i don't think the dot matrix would hurt radar detection much at all. Laser is a different story.

There have been some issues with "ghosting" (counting one signal as multiple bogeys) on some of the software versions of the V1. Perhaps that is what is going on?
Old 03-13-2010, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E55
I don’t think it is a software problem, my is POP1.8 and has worked very well for 2 years . I think POP2.0 is now out.

I had it mounted at the bottom of the windshield and moved it to the top of the rear view mirror.

On the highway there are construction radar speed units; normally, it should be full signal front and as I pass the station, then full side, followed by a decreasing rear signal.

Now, my V1 picks the radar up later than the previous V1’s location, bounces between full and low signal, both front and side detection before I pass the station. It is sloppy. I don't think the 2ft vertical raise causes this.

I will test mount it away from the dot matrix and see how it acts.
It could just be I am not use to the way the radar handles the new location, but I am almost certain that it is not receiving the signal properly.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
Fair enough. Seems as if you are attacking the problem scientifically and its not a software issue. I'm surprised the dots would cause a problem as they don't seem to have much effect on other car brands. Hopefully you will get it figured out. Good luck!!
Old 03-14-2010, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
The dots should be a sunshade. I don't think there'd be a major issue with razoring them off, but I'd try to make sure 100% that's the problem before you do it.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Originally Posted by Bellefonte
I am hard-wiring my V1 and I want it to be very flush with the mirror. As it sits right now, the radar seems to be getting echo noise from the matrix in front of it. I am considering removing an area of the dots.

What is the function of the dot matrix? Is it an antenna, heat/cooling diffuser or sun blocker?

Thanks.
Radar detector are receiver not transmitter, they don't transmit signal. I have my V1 mounted next to the driver side rear mirror farest up to the windshield as possible. I have V1 radar hard wired in each of my cars and it work perfect. I don't think the dots are your problem.